Eliminating Stutter from 60FPS Recordings in XSplit

I just uploaded this video:

I've been having issues getting XSplit to record AMS without getting stutter, and this video explains what I had to do to make it work. The tl;dr is to use the 60fps frame cap in AMS and also make sure your display settings in game are not taxing your GPU to the point it can't maintain the 60fps. I need to run this test at 90 and 120fps, too, just to see what happens. :)

Cheers,

Dave\Esotic

You can't turn on shadows? May be smooth but ...
Note, I don't use XSplit so you may only be talking to those using XSplit and not referring to recording issues in general.
Shadow Play works very good for me (no stutter) without having to turn off graphic elements (shadows, AA, etc.).

Sorry if I'm missing the boat, you may be focusing on a completely different issue. I just wanted to add that very good looking (at least to me) AMS recordings can be made with free tools and without turning graphical settings way down.
I use Shadow Play and Microsoft Movie Maker - I'm a complete noob when it comes to game recording.

Quick sample I created, I think it looks smoother on my computer before uploading but still looks good to me...

What are your system specs? My gaming PC currently has a 750 ti in it (upgrading soon), so not the fastest GPU on the block.

Also, I was watching this video and noticed some stuttering which was very similar to what I experienced in my own videos, so it seemed relevant to share what I discovered.

@William Wester I did notice some *very* minor stuttering in your video (watching on my note4 over cellular networks), but it's not anything that I would personally spend time trying to fix/resolve. Overall the recording looks very good. I'm not opposed to OBS or ShadowPlay, but I settled on XSplit after feeling like it did the best job of just "recording anything on screen" without me having to do too much specifying this game or that game or the desktop, etc. Most of my vids are explanations and demos of the apps and scripts and skins I'm working on, so there's lots of switching around between various games and the desktop/windows apps (Gimp, Notepad++, AutoIT, etc).

The mouse/pointer is currently missing in games, so I need to figure out why that's happening. Frakkin' details. :p

As I mentioned, playing my video directly on my computer is very stutter free (after created by Movie Maker), and from YouTube directly it seemed slightly smoother than when I replayed from the RD link but I can't say... there are a number of variables involved.
I have an i7@3.5Ghz, GTX 980, 16GB on Windows 10. AMS have been running very good for me, I usually run at the settings below. I also use a 3440x1440 UltraWide with good results.

upload_2016-8-31_11-8-56.png

upload_2016-8-31_11-9-12.png

upload_2016-8-31_11-8-42.png

Today I installed my shiny new GTX 1070, and had to try some torture tests. :)

I was pretty sure that YouTube does not support frame rates higher than 60fps, but I recorded and uploaded one at 120fps anyways, just to see if I could:

At this point YouTube is saying the quality caps out at 1080p60.

The recording on my drive is about 4 minutes long and is 3.5 GBs, so that's almost 1GB a minute. Technically ok for short vids, but probably not reasonable for endurance races. :p

Cheers,

Dave/Esotic

Looks pretty good, with that card you should be able to up the texture filter and run shadows at max (x8 to x16, and med to max). Reiza has done a very good optimization with the later builds, on v1.0 I can run every graphical setting at maximum and still not drop under 120FPS (2440x1440 w/GTX980). I'll have to move over to my UltraWide to see how things run and record.

Yup, I need to try some more testing, increasing settings, etc. I would prefer to record at 60fps while gaming at 120+, so hopefully this will start working or I'll be able to get it working through trial and error.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%