Electricity reigns supreme at Goodwood

Touring cars to single seaters, pre-war to the future. The Goodwood festival of speed hillclimb is one of the biggest motoring events in the British calendar. Each year, on the last day of the weekend, the fastest cars take part in the highly competitive and diverse hillclimb competition.

The predictions were for the Pikes Peak record holders VW to win the competition and that’s what they did, whilst setting the 3rd fastest time ever up the hill, not without a challenge however. In fact, the difference from the first place VW IDR driven by Romain Dumas to the second place Nio EP9 was less than a second. Considering the Nio is a road legal car, it was an impressive drive from Peter Dumbreak. The two of these cars were a considerable margin to the rest of the field. This is because they’re both fully powered by electric energy. It seems that the instant torque and independence of each wheel was a benefit on the twisty track demanding fast acceleration.

This year’s event saw a whole heap of 2018 BTCC racecars take on the hill giving us a sub-category won by Andrew Jordan in his BMW 125i not far ahead of Josh Cook in the new for this year Vauxhall Astra. At the tail-end of the small group was first timer and supposedly hung-over Rob Austin who seemed to be taking the climb reasonably slowly.

Finally, Billy Monger, who is still recovering from his terrible accident where he lost both his legs, managed to put his modified F3 car in provisional first place until Mike Skinner, or The American, beat the young Englishman’s time by a few tenths in his massive NASCAR Truck.

The conclusion from the day is that the future looks bright as electric cars get faster every day.

Wasn't it stunning?! Absolutely insane performance! :confused::thumbsup:
It was, but the crowd around me seemed to all agree that audio is a big part of the thrill when the cars are tearing up the hill. The battery cars just didn't feel whole.
The maddest banshee was the M6 GTE. That thing sounded like Satan farting in the shower after a night on the pickled eggs.

Yeah, I agree with you to a certain extent. Just sling a 100w Marshall in the back running some ICE audio simulator software and no-one would know the difference :D

What amused me was how fast the BTCC leader was vs ... well, everything else even vaguely comparable, like the DTM leader.

As for the electrics - the NIO has a full ground-effect underside and whatever other trickery can be fitted and the IDR is an unrestricted prototype, so there wasn't really any competition - still impressive cars no matter the propulsion.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back