Electric GT Series Breaks Cover at Autosport International Show

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Electric-GT.jpg

Electric GT, a new and exciting all electric zero emissions GT championship has received its first public airing at the 2017 Autosport International show in Britain to positive reception from fans, as the new Tesla Model S racing machine wowed spectators in the Live Action Arena in front of a packed audience.

Although the championship was announced last year details have been rather thin on the ground with regards to what fans can expect once the racing commences later this year. EGT have planned a wave of announcements over the three days at AIS as well as public demonstrations of the admittedly impressive new electric racing machine.

The car has undergone many kilometres testing already with both the highly experienced former Grand Prix winner Heinz-Harald Frentzen and former driver and Sky Sports presenter Karun Chandock getting in on the action.

Chandock, who drove the car at the little known Calafat circuit last month was effusive in his praise of the new machine.

Chandock said "I was glad to take up Electric GT's invitation to come and drive the car that the team are working on ahead of their first season in 2017. As a racing driver, you're always curious to test new and different machines and driving a raceprepared Tesla was clearly something I was keen to try.

“The car handles remarkably well and is very balanced despite being in the early stages of development. I'd be interested to see what it's like when they get the P100based version 2.0 up and running next year, as that should have a lot more power. Mark, Agustin and their team have great ambitions for the series and I look forward to seeing how the project develops over the next six months!"
The likeable Indian has not been the only one to be impressed by the new Tesla GT racer. Former Sauber, Williams and Jordan driver Frentzen is a talented racing driver with an enviable CV to his name and known as a gifted technical driver. The German had his chance to try out the electric car back in October at the Paul Ricard Circuit in France.

Frentzen said "As a long time owner of this manufacturer it was great fun to drive one of the first race-prepared Teslas,” said Frentzen. “It was a fantastic opportunity to experience the potential of E-racing performance cars. Mark [Gemmell, CEO] and his EGT team are definitely heading in the right direction."

EGT Series trailer
The car: Tesla Model S P100D

CEO, Mark Gemmell, said: “The Electric GT V2.0 design is the fastest way towards the ‘Age of Light’. I am very excited to be using the Tesla Model S P100D as it is incredibly quick and innovative. This week we opened the subscription period for teams and the new car announcement is an exciting prospect for those who want to join us.”

EGT Paul Ricard.jpg

The drivers:

The EGT series offers drivers an opportunity to announce their interest in the series without committing themselves to an actual team or seasons entry in the category, much like the tactics employed by the similarly electric Formula E series when that championship was first announced back in March. Despite having only recently opened up their books to driver signings many big names have already thrown their hat into the ring, including popular Dutchman and WTCC mainstay Tom Coronel.

The list of drivers already having registered an interest in the series includes:
  • Stefan Wilson
  • Leilani Münter
  • Tom Coronel
  • Ricardo Texeira
  • Emma Kimiläinen
  • Vicky Piria
  • Dani Clos
  • Alice Powell
  • Tom Onslow Cole
  • Oliver Webb
  • Jeroen Bleekemolen
  • Kevin Ceccon

With a 20 driver grid to fill before the lights go green on the inaugural 2017 season expect many more names to add to the list in the very near future.

The schedule:

The EGT series will visit seven classic European circuits in its inaugural season, including Paul Ricard, Barcelona, Assen, Estoril and the Nürburgring, before staging three non-championship races in the Americas. The full schedule and dates have yet to be finalized and could be subject to change ahead of the season start later this year.

About Electric GT Championship
The championship was announced on 9 March 2016, with the Tesla Model S chosen for the first season, which will get underway in 2017. There will be 10 teams and 20 drivers, who will compete across seven races during season one. Weekends will consist of a 20-minute practice session, 30-minute qualifying, a day race (60km) and a dusk race (60km). Each round will be a weekend-long festival of technology and innovation for sustainability, in and around the circuits. Fans will be able to stream races via Periscope, Twitch and YouTube, as well as interact directly with the teams using social media platforms

Electric racing seems to be growing in popularity as we head into the new season. It will be very interesting to see what becomes of EGT when the racing kicks off later this year. With drivers to quality of Coronel and Olly Webb already paying close attention to the new championship one must take this venture seriously. It will be interesting to see if the championship can do a better job of capturing the racing fans attention that has been seen with Formula E so far.

EGT Tesla 2.jpg
EGT Tesla 3.jpg
EGT Tesla 4.jpg

What do you think of Electic GT? Who would you like to see in the series? Will you be watching the championship this year? Do you think electric racing has a place in motorsport? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
i would like to see that every spectator gets an iPad or other music player with very loud engine noise recorded so it looks there are real racecars racing

I am afraid that its gonna be the future

come on jeez. electric cars are for doing your weekly shop not motorsport. motorsport is supposed to be loud and you should be able to smell the unburned fuel as the cars go passed. I get the whole "green" crap that is going around because of so called global warming (which is a naturally occurring event by the way (and no i'm not going to get into this discussion either)) by why not invest in things that will make a difference. For example if i go on holiday to europe i drive onto an electric ferry or if i fly then its an electric plane. Stop taking the fun out of stuff. next thing to go will be catalytic converters for our back sides. jeez.

While watching, you'll just have to be very very quite, otherwise you'll miss it.....wwwoooossshhhhhh........."what was that?" "Oh nothing just a breeze"

No. Just no. :D
(Grumpy Old Man mode ON)
I do actually like the look of the Tesla, but motor-racing without engine-sounds is.... like a rock-concert played at 40dB.
It's supposed to be loud. Your teeth should be rattling as the grid trundles by.

Besides, and this may just be me, the pinnacle of GT racing is in the form of endurance-races.
30 minutes is not endurance by any stretch of the imagination.

Pfffffft....pfffffft.....pfffffft....
"Are you farting?"
- "Nope...watching very exiting electric races":sleep::cautious:

H2O....thats the answer to green....or blue or whatever but that will kill the economy so we invent Accus which are even worse that fossil fuel. And at least H2O produces sound: "blub" which is better than pffffft.

SOUND is the bloody basis of racing...You buy a Ferrari because of the engine sound not because bananas are purple.:rolleyes:

I'm curious but they need to install one of the Fonsecker sound mods or use playing cards on a spoked wheel. Real racing shouldn't sound like my old slot cars.

Well, I guess I'm the only one looking forward to it. I'm actually surprised it took this long for someone to make it happen, but I'm glad they're racing on real circuits. I've got a question, though. Are full-electric racing cars capable of running an endurance race with a real chance of victory (assuming same level of performance with other cars)? I mean, taking a one-hour pit stop to recharge the battery can be really frustrating.

They can claim its zero emissions but its not, not unless they found a way to capture only renewable energy for the race and got none of it from fossil fuel sources, and of course that all the support vehicles and transportation are emission free as well (somehow I doubt it) and I'm sure there are all sorts of carbon emissions coming from the tire production.

Hmmm...Possibly the electric car makers need to have a word to the Reiza or Sector 3 Studios Audio technicians and get some sounds recorded and put them into the Electric Cars with small loud speakers outside underneath the car bodies...that would fix the sound problem as you could have any sound you want....mix it up a little a Ferrari sound coming out of a BMW...oh, no, blasphemy...LOL

They can claim its zero emissions but its not, not unless they found a way to capture only renewable energy for the race and got none of it from fossil fuel sources, and of course that all the support vehicles and transportation are emission free as well (somehow I doubt it) and I'm sure there are all sorts of carbon emissions coming from the tire production.

"The Future"
"Sponsored by: Al Gore"
"Environmentally Responsible"

Bullshi

Rich boys parading around the world acting like they are saving the planet. After the nine 747s land, and the 100+ 18-wheelers take the cars to the track, then back, you could have powered San Francisco for a year.

Well, I guess I'm the only one looking forward to it. I'm actually surprised it took this long for someone to make it happen, but I'm glad they're racing on real circuits. I've got a question, though. Are full-electric racing cars capable of running an endurance race with a real chance of victory (assuming same level of performance with other cars)? I mean, taking a one-hour pit stop to recharge the battery can be really frustrating.
No. Only nuclear power could do that....wait...there's a thought.

Speakers and subwoofer on the cars roof facing outwards towards the crowd with proper engine sound linked to the pedals?

The issue with pollution isnt the few races taking place. Its the tons of cars in everyday life.

Personally I think it's a great idea, just for the sheer challenge of simply being able to do it. That in itself is incredibly impressive. As for the noise, sure it'll suck to not have it, but when there's no oil left and we have no other option, at least racing will still be possible :)

Plus, the Tesla Model S is a freaking sweet car! Quicker than the Lambo Huracan over a 1/4 mile!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 118 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 159 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 303 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 434 39.6%