Electric Cars - The Future of Consumer Motoring?

Is electric car really environmentally friendly? Is electricity really clean? Electricity itself does not create a greenhouse effect.
The thing is though, even if electric cars were on a par with ICE at least all that pollution is happening in one place rather than spread out across millions of cars. It would be much easier to deal with that one source of pollution rather than implemented millions of smaller solutions.

But what about the process of generating electricity? We have to reconsider the process of generating electricity now and in the future. The amount of electricity we are using comes from: burning fossil fuels, hydroelectric power, wind power ... many ways to collect electricity, and all these processes produce a certain amount of CO2.
Switch to nuclear. I know it's an unpopular energy source but it's the only one that will allow us to meet the demands of the modern world without using up more land. I have zero faith in renewable. They will never produce the amount of power we need and require us taking even more land away from the natural environment. Wind and solar farms are a death sentence to local bird populations.

The renewables just seem like a band aid to me, something companies and politicians can point to and say they're doing something, when they know full well it's not going to work, but by the time everyone finds out they'll be retired on their fat pensions.

Honestly, this thing deserves it's own thread. I don't even know what to say. I really thought it was a joke at first.

It was hard to watch though. I felt bad that the window broke. And then the video glitch. All mockery aside, I don't like seeing people fail.

Fail is a pretty strong word for this. A 3500 lb payload and 14,000 lb towing capacity is pretty insane. Now add a 2.8sec 0-60mph on a vehicle with crazy ground clearance and built in 110V / 220V and an air compressor for pneumatic tools and this could be a pretty overkill work truck.

This is priced COMPETITIVELY against the current 1+ Ton trucks out there and out performs them in all ways.

These days Ford and Chevy want a kidney for their large diesel trucks with anywhere near this kind of towing and payload capacity.

Now the styling is..... well I can't imagine them going to production looking like that.

Fail is a pretty strong word for this. A 3500 lb payload and 14,000 lb towing capacity is pretty insane. Now add a 2.8sec 0-60mph on a vehicle with crazy ground clearance and built in 110V / 220V and an air compressor for pneumatic tools and this could be a pretty overkill work truck.

This is priced COMPETITIVELY against the current 1+ Ton trucks out there and out performs them in all ways.

These days Ford and Chevy want a kidney for their large diesel trucks with anywhere near this kind of towing and payload capacity.

Now the styling is..... well I can't imagine them going to production looking like that.
I meant failing to have a nice slick launch. That's gotta be the worst feeling. Of course it's an impressive (and impressively ugly) vehicle.

I'm a Ford guy, so eagerly awaiting our hybrid/electric trucks. But the more the merrier.

It looks like they need the laws on wing mirrors to change if it's going to stay the way it is. I'd also image it's going to change a bit.

But the fact it's so angular means it's probably pretty straight forward to make. People will buy Teslas all day long too.

Most owners of electric cars rarely if ever keep a car longer than 3 to 4 years. So long term issues are never going to be a problem. I personelly do think this type of ownership contributes more to global warming and pollution.

The same can be said for people who rarely keep an ICE car longer than the 3 to 4 year period.

I see alot of people buying 50k euro electric cars as a showpiece, alot of the times to ease the guilt of a life of excess. All the while their red meat diet, convenience food, excessive plastic, drive to where you could easily walk lifestyle continues.

Keep your car on the road, buy a bicycle, use it and get used to walking, in many cases would be more environmentally and cost effective. Set a good example for future generations. They'll all have electric cars as a daily driver anyway.

Last edited:
Personally, I liked Hydrogen cars more. I understand that producing Hydrogen costs a lot of energy, but on the other hand on a hot summer day those solar panels produce too much energy for regular consumption. This could be used then. Hydrogen cars are electric cars too, so why not make hybrid hydrogen cars. Big electric battery + hydrogen tank, then drivers could use the fuel that is the most inexpensive at the moment of need.

Hydrogen is very problematic as a fuel for consumer vehicles, and several car manufacturers have wasted billions on it.

For one, most hydrogen for vehicles is not made through electrolysis (e.g. from renewables such as solar), it's made from ... natural gas! Yeah, real environmental, that!

Hydrogen is never going to be common-place, and BEVs are definitely the future.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back