Tracks El Capitan 2004 WIP - Original Track Recreation

Hello everyone and welcome to this project.
I created this thread with the intention to show the latest news about a project that I started a while ago, receive feedbacks and maybe some suggestions to give a real remake to the beautiful track we all loved on Gran Turismo 4.
I hope you will like it like me.

El Capitan 2004: Restoration Project
Road to El Capitan 2004 - Phase 01

What's going to be:
A real restoration and recreation of the original Gran Turismo 4 track, with the original feeling and some more features that are available to Assetto Corsa + CSP.

The current status, what's done and what's not:

Version v.0.7: Public Beta

• 9 Opponents grid (the track has a small pit lane)
  • GrassFX and RainFX compatible
  • Compatible with CSP 1.60+, Sol and Pure
  • Track collisions - done - still some areas to be fixed
  • Basic AI and AI Hints - done
  • CSP Extension for shaders, see river - done
  • Basic Vertex VAO Patch for CSP - done
  • Gran Turismo Basic Camera - done
Complete it with the fantastic Camtool Cameras by GiuNiral:

Installation Istructions:
  1. Install CM Manager with the latest CSP (possibly 0.1.75 at least)
  2. Install SOL or Pure for extra awesomeness
  3. Drag and Drop the zip to the CM window
  4. Click the menu to the top right and click install
  5. Play!
Thanks to everyone that made this possible, in particular to whom helped me to learn about Assetto Corsa track modding:
  • X4fab, Luchian, Lilski, Gunnar333 and many others that still creates awesome tutorials for this game.
Download here:

Feedback and Beta Testing:
Feel free to share your thoughts about the project and give suggestions (constructive criticism).
Want to beta test it? I will pick some private beta testers before going to public (no long waiting promised to everyone) as soon as most of the problems and glitches are fixed. I prefer people that is active on forums, social networks, make vidoes/photos about racing games and have a powerful pc to test the track in the best possible way. If you are one of them, feel free to ask me for the beta testing.

First screenshots on the actual progress:

el_capitan_01.jpg
el_capitan_02.jpg

el_capitan_03.jpg

el_capitan_04.jpg

el_capitan_06.jpg

el_capitan_08.jpg

Videos:

Last edited:
The track is so much fun, it feels so good to drive on and really does capture the feel of El Capitan.
Few things for Beta testing the barriers on the right side at turns 2 and 3 have no collision its a bit further behind the, before the bridge in between turns 13 and 14 there are a two spots of just black meshes and on turns 16, 19 and 20 before the kerbs and just after the kerbs.
I havent noticed anything else, I'm just enjoying the tracks so much at the moment.
1639584830570.png
1639584878639.png

1639584982793.png

I want to give you an update to the project.
The mod was well received and I want to thank everyone that liked the track on youtube, discord and all the forums. Seems like El Capitan is in the heart of every GT player :)

What's next?
Now that we have a public beta and everyone can play with the original feeling and vibes of the track, it's time to take a step forward, and go to the phase 02:
El Capitan 2022

What's going to be:

The remake of the original track: we keep the original feeling, but we port it to the next level.
What does it mean?

Slightly changed layout (no, not too much, promised), redrawn roads for better handling and force feedback, better objects, more details, new modeling for grass, sand, rocks, new trees (2d and 3d), new buildings and bridges.
This will take even more time than it took to have the current track, but I'll do my best to make an even better track.

Speaking of layouts, my idea is to slightly change some elevation of the track (turn 7 as of now, the highest point) and add a bigger pit-lane to allow more opponents.

What's the status?
I started experimenting with 3d trees and sculpting of some parts of the track.
The basic terrain (grass and sand) has been remade and it's ready to be sculpted too.
This is a screenshot in Blender of the sculpting progress.

Immagine 2021-12-16 220005.jpg

...why not upload it here if its a recreation and not a port?
I wanted to test the platform I hosted my track. I will see next time if is best to upload the mod here.
Anyway, I don't think it could change how the track is done as the file is always a zip. I hope it's ok for you :)
The track is so much fun, it feels so good to drive on and really does capture the feel of El Capitan.
Few things for Beta testing the barriers on the right side at turns 2 and 3 have no collision its a bit further behind the, before the bridge in between turns 13 and 14 there are a two spots of just black meshes and on turns 16, 19 and 20 before the kerbs and just after the kerbs.
I havent noticed anything else, I'm just enjoying the tracks so much at the moment.
View attachment 525229View attachment 525230
View attachment 525233
Thanks man, feedback is always welcome and I'm happy you are enjoying the track! :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 104 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 405 40.0%