EdTracker - A cheap but great headtracking option

I originally bought an edTracker for use with Elite Dangerous. It's a box about the size of a matchbox that you attach to the top of your headphones and uses an accelerometer/gyroscope to give 3 axis headtracking (pitch/yaw/roll).

I paid £30 for my prebuilt one and it's worth every penny. If you're a bit handy with electronics you can just buy the parts off them and build one yourself. I however am not :(

This works in conjunction with a piece of software called opentrack, which emulates trackIr calls meaning that with RF2 you simply have to assign the look directions to the device (by looking left/right etc). It's that simple to set up.

EDIT - You don't need to use Opentrack at all for RF2, just assign look left and right bindings with the edTracker.

Well I got on track and tried it. Wow, what a difference headtracking makes. I play on a single screen so sometimes seeing the apex of a tight corner is near impossible (Silverstone - The Loop for example), but with this I can hit the apex nearly every time, as well as get the power down a lot earlier than before. :notworthy:

I wanted to try headtracking but for me TrackIR is just way too expensive. The only downsides I can think for this device are that you have to attach something to your headphones, so not wearing any can be an issue. It also needs to be plugged in via usb so if you hate cables it's probably not your thing.

https://edtracker.org.uk/ is the place to go if you're interested.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your problems Paul. I had a issue with my cable not technical though, they sent a me a pink one, I mean come on a pink one! Needless that does not go with my man cave. I got this one off ebay, works a treat it's 3 meters and does not tangle up easily.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200842960517?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Yeah, not their fault, these cables are hit or miss, I got one on order off ebay, cheers
How did you get on with the Opentracker software? Couldnt get it going for Assetto Corsa, but the USB could have been the problem with that now thinking about it....

Yeah, not their fault, these cables are hit or miss, I got one on order off ebay, cheers
How did you get on with the Opentracker software? Couldnt get it going for Assetto Corsa, but the USB could have been the problem with that now thinking about it....
Hi Paul, I have not got round to setting up for AC yet. Waiting for V1.1 to come out before I give it a go. Hopefully it will address some issues in the game.

Well I've got quite a problem when using this. I was getting some really weird drifting when the device is calibrating properly. It's not the edtracker, but I play on an office chair and I've worked out that I turn the chair as I drive. Unfortunately the edtracker interprets this movement and gets a bit confused. I can't use it for driving for more than 5 minutes without a recentre as I can never seem to stay still.

We've got no comfortable fixed chairs at home so I've had to park this for now. :(

Well I've got quite a problem when using this. I was getting some really weird drifting when the device is calibrating properly. It's not the edtracker, but I play on an office chair and I've worked out that I turn the chair as I drive. Unfortunately the edtracker interprets this movement and gets a bit confused. I can't use it for driving for more than 5 minutes without a recentre as I can never seem to stay still.

We've got no comfortable fixed chairs at home so I've had to park this for now. :(
How are you set up Ben? I had to come up with solution to stop me ending up the kitchen when braking on my office chair.

How are you set up Ben? I had to come up with solution to stop me ending up the kitchen when braking on my office chair.
I just play at my desk. I have no issue with moving back as I'm on carpet, but I must be turning the chair when I turn or brake. It's really annoying, I had to take it off in the end and it definitely felt like something was missing.

I need a way to lock the chair into position for when I'm racing. Either that or buy a rig. That might be slight overkill, and my wife would murder me.

P.S. if you don't hear from me call the police, I wouldn't put it past myself to do something stupid like buying a racing rig! :p

I have a office chair and a wheel stand so it took me a while to work it out but I use a cam buckle tie down strap like these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-CAM-B...287?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item23424c172f

Between the chair central pole and the central pole on the wheel stand. When you tighten it up it locks you in place pretty good and stops you moving around as you are usually pushing away from your wheel you get a nice firm locked in position.
Tp6eL8d.jpg

6JU7cN8.jpg

Not sure if that would help you but hey I gave it a shot. :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 353 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%