Editing AI help

I was wondering it there was a tool and tutorial on editing/creating AI for a track?

I did a personal conversion of a track and all worked great except:
1) the garage space places the car in the middle of the final turn rather than the garage
2) the AI cars for 1 particular turn, turn in too early and hit the wall damaging the cars

Looking for any help on this as I would prefer to learn how to do it rather than asking someone to do it for me unless i need to.

JT

AFAIK there is only one such tool ( rFactor AIWCAM Editor) but it is non-intuitive and it requires converting your track to rFactor:

If the original track is from rFactor you are in luck; otherwise you are in for an uphill battle.

Good luck!

AFAIK there is only one such tool ( rFactor AIWCAM Editor) but it is non-intuitive and it requires converting your track to rFactor:

If the original track is from rFactor you are in luck; otherwise you are in for an uphill battle.

Good luck!
gwaldock, very huge thank you for pointing me to that program! I guess from using some of the CAD programs I've used in the past I was abble to pick it up pretty quick.

The garage space issue I had I managed to fix by opening up the AIW in notepad and looking at the waypoint data and call outs. Turned out there was an alternate pit/garage line that started after the normal ones ended, presumably to fit more cars in a field. I just deleted those and now it starts out in garage bay 3.

The wall hitting problem I managed to change the waypoints to straighten the car out slightly before the turn in point, and alter the curve from turn in to exit to apex at a proper spot and still have a smooth exit. ran the player car with AI enabled for about 6-7 laps and each one was without issue.

Fun little thing I did learn is you don't actually need rfactor installed, I have it just not installed, and was able to modify the AIW on its own.

Presumably your track conversion is for GTR2 ?? So how did you do your conversion/build?

Caribstu, yes it was an rfactor track. the process I used was found in a pack of things called "Modding Tools & Tutorial Pack v2.0 for GTR²" found at eSport-Racing.de . The only real tool that I found I needed to do the conversion other than the above mentioned AIW tool is 3dsimed. If you don't have it purchase it, it is well worth the money, used it quite a lot back in the day when I would modify F1C for fun.

Ok well if it's an rFactor track I'm not entirely sure how ou'd fix it. I've only worked with GTR2 tracks in BTB and 3Dsimed. My instinct would be the easiest issues to look at are the positional data of the garage in the .aiw , the fast lane waypoints, and the corridors, which if you can't edit in BTB or RTB, then i don't know.

As gwaldock says there's a tool where you can edit the waypoints. I downloaded it. Played around with it. But never used it as i've built all my tracks in BTB and edit such things there.

if you can't do it with the AIWCAM edit tool.... here's an idea. Just a thought. If you use Google Earth to trace a path on the real track and collect the GPS data, convert that data with TCX into a KMS file and import that into BTB. If you can't do that, take a screen shot of your track and import that to BTB and trace the track over yor screenshot.

Then create your fast line, corridors, pit garage locations and export. Paste the new .aiw file into your GTR2 track and just Keep editing/tweeking the lines in BTB until you get it right. It would be a long winded and tedious way to do it... but if all else fails. It might be a solution.

Ok well if it's an rFactor track I'm not entirely sure how ou'd fix it. I've only worked with GTR2 tracks in BTB and 3Dsimed. My instinct would be the easiest issues to look at are the positional data of the garage in the .aiw , the fast lane waypoints, and the corridors, which if you can't edit in BTB or RTB, then i don't know.

As gwaldock says there's a tool where you can edit the waypoints. I downloaded it. Played around with it. But never used it as i've built all my tracks in BTB and edit such things there.

if you can't do it with the AIWCAM edit tool.... here's an idea. Just a thought. If you use Google Earth to trace a path on the real track and collect the GPS data, convert that data with TCX into a KMS file and import that into BTB. If you can't do that, take a screen shot of your track and import that to BTB and trace the track over yor screenshot.

Then create your fast line, corridors, pit garage locations and export. Paste the new .aiw file into your GTR2 track and just Keep editing/tweeking the lines in BTB until you get it right. It would be a long winded and tedious way to do it... but if all else fails. It might be a solution.

Caribstu, I was able to fix it in that without converting it back to rfactor. You are not able to create one from new in this but you can alter existing ones. I even messed around with an F1C AIW file as the 3 (F1C, Rfactor, and GTR2) are so similar it was able to work with all 3, with some success.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 329 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 460 39.2%