Edit driver hand position in cockpit

Hi,
I was wondering if we could change the driver hand positions in cockpit, without having to do all that complicated 3D modeling or anything, as many cars have the hands unaligned, which many a times kills the whole experience. I have so many mods installed with amazing details and everything but it all goes down the drain with just the hands, which are not aligned with the steering.
I once opened a .car file of some car and saw the coordinates written for the hand positions, so I guess that could help...? Some suggestions would be highly appreciated...

(And no offence to the mod creators, we love you. Thank you for keeping this game alive for so long! :D)

Last edited:
What you guess is right .... that's well this line
FirstPersonDriverPosition=(-0.135, -0.200, -0.440)

which allows to change the driver's hand and feet as both are done at the same time.
3 values for horizontal, vertical and front-rear positions .... but that's not the most pleasant task to do and surely not always the easiest one.

The best is do some important changes to one value at a time and see ( and understand ) what happens in game.
You'll quickly know which value correspond to each move in space ... and the rest will mostly be a question of patience.
Once a car file is done .... those values may be copied to all other .car files of the same car.

Last edited:
Hi again,
First of all, thank you for replying last time....
So, i did as you said, and the results were thankfully positive But there's just one more problem... the distance between the hands. They're a little further than the diameter of the wheel (idk how to put it better lol) Can you please tell me how to reduce that as well? I've included a pic for reference.

Attachments

• GTR 2 hand problem preview.jpg
    GTR 2 hand problem preview.jpg
    833.2 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
Was GTR2 mainly done for GT cars ? ....without any doubt, yes ! .... should this be the reason why the driver's hands are not really fit for single seaters ?.... maybe, as mostly their wheel has a less broad diameter.

Without using a 3D tool or software I don't really see how to solve your problem .... I think that even 3dSimed should be able to get a result in this point of view in order to resize the Personal driver on the X axis.
But without working on the 3D itself I'm nearly sure there's no solution available other than .... looking in F1 cars mods if they already did this modification.

I'm not a fan of driving single seaters in GTR2 .... so I don't really know if the solution is there but I guess that it should be the right way first to have a look at them..... If you discovered this problem, surely a modder also did and created his own personal driver.

Use another name for this modified driver should then be the solution to keep both modded and original drivers in game.

Last edited:
Was GTR2 mainly done for GT cars ? ....without any doubt, yes ! .... should this be the reason why the driver's hands are not really fit for single seaters ?.... maybe, as mostly their wheel has a less broad diameter.
I was also thinking that it must be an engine limitation. Can't do anything about that... Guess I'll have to live with those hands only, they're not really tho 乁( •_• )ㄏ

And again thank you very much for the help! :)

Last edited:
I'm also working with Blender ... but it's a bit more complicated as you first need to export the GMT in .3ds or .dae ( prefering 3DS if I need a 3D modification or a mapping and need to reexport in .3ds while dae is enough in order to just create a template ).
I'm not a Blender expert but can manage some little changes....

So I really think that's of course possible with Blender.

But as maybe it was already done by someone else in F1 mods .... rather first search for a possible already done driver.
( In one of my install I already have 3 possible first person drivers .... ( M-FPDriver.gmt, M-FPDriver2.gmt and M-FPDriver3.gmt )
What's the difference between them ? .... I should have a look ... I mostly don't prepare this driver as someone else does it when creating the cockpit.... M-FPDriver2.gmt is an original file present in Gamedata/Teams folder.

Last edited:
I have not heard about anyone that has been able to change the width between the hands.
The Int_driver_styleXX where XX are 00 to 09 are a little different in hands width but also in angle.

In this case you could make the steering wheel a little larger in 3Dsimed or I guess any 3D program or as Jempy suggest find a mod with hands 'glued' (Not animated) to the steering wheel AMS go a lot and fit those arms to your steering wheel
The ams or Rf1 version of the legends mod might have the right arms?

Even in gtr2 many f1 mods have got static arms (f1 1994, 2012/2013, ...) but I am not a big fan. Indeed I'd rather remove completely cockpit arms : open car CAS file, scroll down a little bit till you see FPDRIVER and delete all the block from instance to } then save and no more arms in cockpit as sometimes it looks better like that IMHO.

Hi, I really appreciate all your opinions, but I think I'll leave it as it is cuz I am a noob in all of this and it doesn't bother me that much anyway.

And, I also want to say that like GTR233, I would also rather play with no arms at all than play with the "glued" hands :p

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 355 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%