Eddie Jordan: VW close to Red Bull takeover deal

F1.png

BBC F1 analyst Eddie Jordan has claimed that major German car manufacturer, Volkswagen, are very close to agreeing to a takeover of the Red Bull F1 team.

Red Bull's future in the sport has been up in the air as of late after Renault confirmed that they will not be supplying either Red Bull or Toro Rosso with engines next season. Likewise, Mercedes have ruled out supplying one of their largest rivals with an engine, which has left Ferrari as the only current supplier who remain a realistic option for the Austrian team.

However, according to Jordan, VW have been conducting "on and off talks" with Red Bull about buying the team for more than a year, with a takeover of the team seeing VW build it's own engine for the squad, but with Red Bull using Ferrari power until 2018 at which point VW will switch to using their own engine.

The news comes off the back of a reportedly failed attempt by VW to take over the team last winter when the plan was vetoed by the then VW Group Chairman, Ferdinand Piech. Piech was known to be against the move because of gripes with Formula One front man, Bernie Ecclestone. However, the replacement of Piech in April has allegedly put VW on the cusp of a Formula One appearance.

Should Jordan's prediction come to light, it is unclear which brand VW would choose to promote. However, at this early stage it is likely that the team will run under an Audi guise, but both Porsche and Lamborghini are also strong options.

Do you think VW in F1 is a realistic idea? Or perhaps you believe it's nothing but a pipe dream? Let us know below!

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea if it's realistic, however EJ has been known to get a few of these rumours right in his time.

Should be interesting regardless.

Interesting read thanks Jack,
I'm unsure, it's not like VW couldn't afford to buy RedBull F1, as for using the Ferrari power plant till 2018, sounds fine. Ferrari are starting to find some pace, which the Renault is lacking. Could only mean good things for RedBull fans.

Don't worry about the VW group, as a combined car producer they have the largest number
of car sales surpassing even GM.
These news are spicing things up a bit, wow.

I did read this yesterday, and the rumours has ramped up very much so over the last year, with Audi signing on some significant people directly from the F1 industry. However, I'm not too sure about this one. They have Audi in WEC, so if they should join F1 it wouldn't be under that name.

I'm really torn on this one, but ultimately, I don't think they will enter the F1 stage.

With Audi and Porsche already there representing the group, I don't think that putting another brand there would be good.
I disagree. VW have had a few stands and concepts out. WEC is the pinnacle of motorsport closed wheel racing.
Your argument is flawed aswell as I could say the same about F1 with Mercedes and Ferrari taking over a bit. So really I think your reasoning needs to be reviewed as F1 is harder to be at the front than WEC. That's what makes WEC better.

I disagree. VW have had a few stands and concepts out. WEC is the pinnacle of motorsport closed wheel racing.
Your argument is flawed aswell as I could say the same about F1 with Mercedes and Ferrari taking over a bit. So really I think your reasoning needs to be reviewed as F1 is harder to be at the front than WEC. That's what makes WEC better.
By saying group I mean the VW group. I don't think that having three brands from the same "family" is going to help the VW group's reputation.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 400 40.0%