Ecclestone Ousted as F1 CEO - Chase Carey Takes Control

Yeah, better have races only in democratic states that impose violently their might to protect their national energy resources interests

Eh... What? German GP being no more and the European GP being held in ****ing Baku, Silverstone raising the proverbial white flag and the problem is the series becoming irrelevant outside of Europe? If anything I'd say it's the reverse. Axe tracks like Baku and Abu Dhabi, bring back some of the iconic races and maybe shuffle some stuff around, the US can/should probably host both a "American GP" and a US GP, personally I think it would be real fun to see the Glen back. The Indy vs F1 rivalry would be glorious.

Then I guess F1 is becoming irrelevant no matter where in the world. That's even worse.

All we can do as fans of the sport is cross our fingers that Liberty Media have a different agenda to what Bernie had, the power he wielded over the sport went to his senile old head, he became a dictator, and as some who knew him have described, it was always "his way, or the highway" no wonder F1 suffered.

Personally, this is my list of things needed to bring the fans back to F1, and return it to the pinnacle of motorsport again.
Tilke doesn't get to nurf, or build anymore circuits.
The ticket prices drop.
F1 goes "free to air".
The teams R&D expenditure gets capped.
Hybrid tech gets the boot.
Aero is restricted.
DRS is dumped.
More tyre manufacturers.
Refueling returns.

Also the teams should have NO input into the direction of the cars, like most other forms of motor sport, they just build and race them, based on the regulations set out by the governing bodies.

Cheers

Tilke doesn't get to nurf, or build anymore circuits.
The ticket prices drop.
F1 goes "free to air".
The teams R&D expenditure gets capped.
Hybrid tech gets the boot.
Aero is restricted.
DRS is dumped.
More tyre manufacturers.
Refueling returns.

Also the teams should have NO input into the direction of the cars, like most other forms of motor sport, they just build and race them, based on the regulations set out by the governing bodies.

hear here

The problem with the Americans is that they put revenue above everything else. I have seen nascar races. And the commercials appear every five minutes. Indycar has commercials about every ten min. Absolutely impossible to follow the race.
If that happens to F1, it will be dead in four years.

Edit: The commercials take three minutes full screen.

Last edited:
Not like F1 hasn't been putting the money first forever... :rolleyes:

IMSA does it right, and Indy eventually uploads their races fully over at their Youtube channel even if it's a bit random. They're still leaps and bounds ahead of F1. Blame TV, not the series.

View attachment 169176
It has been reported by Auto Motor und Sport that Formula One Ringmaster Bernie Ecclestone has been replace today by new Liberty Media Chairman Chase Carey, bringing to an end a 42 year reign of control over the Formula One franchise.

"I was deposed today,” Ecclestone told Auto Motor und Sport. “I am simply gone. It's official. I am no longer the leader of the company. My position has been taken by Chase Carey.

“My new position is one of those American terms. It's something like an honorary president. I have this title now, even though I don't know what it means.”

My days in the office will be getting quieter now. Maybe I will attend a Grand Prix sometime in the future... I still have many friends in Formula 1, and I still have enough money to afford to attend a race.”
Ecclestone also mentioned that he expects he will have to give up his seat at the FIA World Motor Sport Council following the reshuffle at the very top of the Formula One food chain, confirming that
"First of all, I have to talk to Jean Todt about this.” Despite the obvious experience Ecclestone, 86, brings to the table, the Englishman "doubts" he will remain involved going forward.

With the final details of Liberty Media's takeover a mere formality at this stage, the move to bring in Chase Carey as a key figurehead within the Formula One Group will spell the end of an era once dominated by former used car salesman Bernard Charles Ecclestone. Exactly what Ecclestone will go on to do remains to be seen, as the newly offered title of "Life President" covers a broad and as yet undefined scope of activity. Although still going strong at the ripe old age of 86, it will be interesting to see where Ecclestone will fit in the new structure being defined by Liberty Media.

The deal for Liberty Media to take control of Formula One recently received approval from the sports governing body the FIA, following an extraordinary meeting of its World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) in Switzerland on Wednesday 18th January.

"During the meeting, the representatives of the prospective new owner made a detailed presentation of their strategy. The members of the World Motor Sport Council then had the opportunity to ask questions about the specifics of the agreement, the ongoing working relationship with the FIA and Liberty’s plans for the sport.

Liberty, Formula One Group and the FIA intend to collaborate to create a constructive relationship that will ensure the continued success and the development of the FIA Formula One World Championship in the long term.

The World Motor Sport Council’s decision confirms the FIA’s belief that Liberty, as a renowned media organisation with expertise in both sport and entertainment, is clearly well positioned to ensure the continued development of its pinnacle Championship" said a Liberty Media statement.

Will anything change following the removal of Ecclestone? Only time will tell...

For more Formula One news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

Do you think the removal of Ecclestone from his role of Formula One CEO will be a positive move for the sport? Will Chase Carey be able to fill the diminutive Ecclestone's shoes? Let us know in the comments section below!

I am one of probably quite few people to be sad to see him go. He has done much for the series and for making motorsport more accessible in the age of TV, effectively making it the pinnacle of motorsport if you like it or not, just by bringing it into living rooms across the world.

Unfortunately this has also made direct attendance at the races less accessible since more specatacle for the TV was achieved via faster cars that needed wider tracks with more elaborate safety measures which made ticket prices go up.

But since we are living in the advent of a new mass media (the internet), F1 needs a new strategy, it needs to do what Ecclestone did with TV and do it with the internet instead (Something that Bernie never seemed to grasp.). There's a new challenge and opportunity there and I hope the new managers make the best of it.

Thanks Bernie for making F1 as big as it is and being so charming about it!

Ecclestone and Robert Mugabe are cut from the same cloth, but now his rule has ended although the damage has been done,

Fortunately I don't care, last F1 race I watches was in 2013 when Shuey was still racing,

All I can say is that F1 needs to wake up and learn from MotoGP,

It is everything F1 is not, end of story.....

It is what you looking for in a sport... I have no interest in MGP since the late 80's

Superbikes series lot better , more races and race battles on 1 day that will say untill DORNA took over and changed 2 races on Sunday into 1 Saturday and 1 Sunday morning 10.00GMT so their tactic was to make SBK not too big cause they were catching up on to the redicules costly (Tickets) moto gp so they killed it like they had done with the GP , tickets World SBK about 60 euro for weekend pass 5 or 6 races on a Sunday MOTO GP idiot prices 120 euro for 3 races

Last edited:
I am one of probably quite few people to be sad to see him go. He has done much for the series and for making motorsport more accessible in the age of TV, effectively making it the pinnacle of motorsport if you like it or not, just by bringing it into living rooms across the world.

How do you work that out when he took it to PPV and the BASIC ticket price in the UK is £159?, F1 is LESS accessible now than it has ever been.

Quote from Bernie Ecclestone "My days in the office will be getting quieter now. Maybe I will attend a Grand Prix sometime in the future... I still have many friends in Formula 1, and I still have enough money to afford to attend a race." He just doesn't realise one of the reasons F1 is dying is the ludicrous cost of going to a GP, the senile Billionaire Moron makes a joke about just about being able to afford to go. Bye bye Bernie, leave your keys and shut the door on your way out mate!

@Queequeg Ticket prices have increased because of the massive sanctioning fees the tracks have to pay. Safety measures have very little to do with it. You can get a sh*tload of safety improvements for the £20m+ a year a lot of the tracks are paying.

Circuits only receive the ticket money. Pretty well everything else goes to F1. So if you get a crowd of 150000 (most races don't get anything like that) the sanctioning fee is £130+ per person so no wonder the ticket prices are so high.

Sunday general admission tickets for Silverstone this year are:

BTCC = £29
BSB = £29
WEC = £35
MotoGP = £60
F1 = £159 (cheapest grandstand seat is £225)

For the value you are getting from F1 it is way out of wack.

Why are bikes so expensive though? It's twice the price for half the wheels!

Got a UK trip coming up this year, think the better half would kill me if I take her vacationing at the WEC and not the British Museum though. What are the odds you could spread some artifacts and scrolls around the track for me lads?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 123 13.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 95 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 90 9.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 64 6.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 128 13.6%