Ecclestone Confirms Hungaroring Contract Extension

RaceDepartment

Administrator
Staff
The Hungarian Grand Prix will remain on the calendar until 2021, Bernie Ecclestone revealed prior to Sunday's race.

According to tourists, the Hungaroring is a more desirable location to visit than Hungary's capital, Budapest. Rightly so, Mogyoród has been on the F1 tour since 1986.

Only Monza and Monaco have been used for longer uninterrupted stints, yet Hungary has simply not been given the sort of attention that other circuits have been privy to.

The first grand prix behind the 'iron curtain' was held in memory of motorcyclist, János Drapál, at the newly constructed Hungaroring.

It was in the 2009 Hungarian Grand Prix that Felipe Massa was struck on the head by a suspension spring thrown from Rubens Barrichello's Brawn during Q2. After being knocked out cold, the Brazilian crashed head on into a barrier at the end of a high speed straight.

Image: Twicsy
View the Post on the Blog

Last edited by a moderator:
22 races temporarily on the schedule means that probably at least 2 of them are doubtful, and now we can cross Hungary off the list. New Jersey is probably one (sadly... I -really- want to see a race there), what's the other? Or are there more?

22 races temporarily on the schedule means that probably at least 2 of them are doubtful, and now we can cross Hungary off the list. New Jersey is probably one (sadly... I -really- want to see a race there), what's the other? Or are there more?
Rumors mention Korea is in jeopardy, although the track is very nice, the new infrastructures weren't delivered as promised. The other one is India: disappointment due to lack of attendence last year (the first year was a novelty, the second was perhaps too costly).

I am old fashioned, I don't really like the 'modern' tracks that much, with their vast amount of run-off areas.

I did like Istanbul as a modern track, but there wasn't enough spectators.

I want an Austrian, French, Portuguese, and Dutch GP. Given the F1 history in the USA, I do not want two American GP's.

I am also worried about the possible loss of the Belgian and Canadian GP's.

Tracks I would ditch, Abu Dhabi, Korea, Singapore, and possibly China.

Belgium and Canada are classics, they have to stay in the calendar. Then again, I think the Abu Dhabi race is pretty awesome and Singapore is neat as well. Getting Austria back into F1 would be great and with Red Bull now being the owner of the A1 Ring it should be a no-brainer. :)

I am old fashioned, I don't really like the 'modern' tracks that much, with their vast amount of run-off areas.

I did like Istanbul as a modern track, but there wasn't enough spectators.

I want an Austrian, French, Portuguese, and Dutch GP. Given the F1 history in the USA, I do not want two American GP's.

I am also worried about the possible loss of the Belgian and Canadian GP's.

Tracks I would ditch, Abu Dhabi, Korea, Singapore, and possibly China.

With you on that....

Looks like India is one of the tracks under threat, Bernie still annoyed there is no tax exemption for F1 teams as the Indian government doesn't recognize F1 as a sport :rolleyes:

Why does no-one mention Bahrain? "Borerain", as I call it, should be gone, not just because of the track.
As long as the Multi-Million $$s CASH will keep 'falling' into 'we-know-who's never-deep-enough pockets (or his successor...), that 'borean' one will stay on the calendar. We all know it too well, unfortunately. :(

Does that make the layout any better? I was speaking about the track itself, not a single race.

And yeah, go and take 2013 where the tyres create the action.

You'd rather search for older races there.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 106 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 147 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 407 40.0%