Eccelstone proposes shortcuts

Ross Balfour

#99 | Roaring Pipes Maniacs
He is offically lost his mind!

Bernie Ecclestone garners more headlines with suggestions that short-cuts could be used to spice up F1
Benie Eccelstone has made another radical suggestion ahead of the new F1 season by proposing the introduction of short-cuts at each circuit.

According to a report in the Daily Telegraph, Ecclestone has suggested that short-cuts could be used at each circuit during the season with drivers able to use the advantage five times in a race.

Short-cuts are used in some forms of racing, such as Rallycross, but would be a controversial addition to F1 despite the need to improve overtaking opportunities.

“You wouldn't get stuck behind a slower car,” he said. “I've tried to push the teams on this because I don't think the efforts to increase overtaking are working.”

The 'paper also reports team principals as being surprised by Ecclestone's latest suggestion, which is seen more as an effort to garner headlines than to solve the overtaking issue.

Next drivers will be able to drop mushrooms and bananas from their cars to slow others down judging by the way things are going!

You know how to make it more interesting?
Stop making stupid rules, give them a reasonable budget, get rid of all the stupid rules you've previously put on the sport that made it DIE and see what happens...

I understand his idea, but it's not really a solution.
Will anyone try to pass if he can use a shortcut 5 times in a race?
It's not really different than passing using pit-stop strategy in my opinion. Exciting on one side, but on the other, we can't see any good fights.
Also I can't imagine how people could make it safe, also in times when we have no money, why would we build totally new sections to all F1 circuits?

We only need more drivers like Kobayashi, and we'll see passes!

I think we've probably underestimated Bernie, ithink it's a clever idea, not the short cuts thing but the idea of it. I think Bernie comes up with these air brained idea's to get people talking about F1 and generate publicity.
Is was about this time last year that he wanted to bring in the medals scheme wasn't it. :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 92 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 67 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 73 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 100 13.9%