Eau Rouge. Stairways to heaven

maxresdefault.jpg

Really, I'm not a great fan of polls and those kind of stuff but I believe this question needs to be raised now again. I'm actually surprised that we don't have one yet.
This thread can be in any other Motorsport section but ok... it's here. F1 is most popular so...
Personally, I love the corner. Yeah, probably best in entire F1 circus but still...

Through the years there have been so many accidents there, many of them you can see on YouTube and the main problem with it, in my opinion, is that the corner is blind. You go full throttle, you turn, you're on top of the hill, downforce is quite questionable and then -
1) you may lose your car and have pretty nasty accident there or
2) you may hit a solid object (another car that stands there. and you couldn't see it of course)
and the speeds are insane there, mind you. Either way...
really ugly way to end up your weekend. Or life.

Thought, videos, comments please...
And let's try be nice and respect each other's personal opinions. Human life is lost.

wp3103421.jpg

Last edited:
I personally don't think they should alter the shape of the corner. Just replace the asphalt either side of the track with something that can bring the speed of the cars down a lot. Maybe just good old gravel.

In my opinion the left side is kinda okay although at the top, they should make the barrier further away so cars are less likely to slide back into traffic.
Same point but way more important imo is to do the same on the right side.
I know there are hills and slopes and trackside stuff but I think most of these accidents could have a better outcome if the barriers would just be further away.

I never visited spa in real life but from sattelite view it looks like there's just trees and hills on the crucially tight spots. Invest some money into raising the ground there and be able to put the barrier 20 meters further away from the track.

I don't think gravel would be a good solution. I think drivers should be able to control their cars as long as possible while being blind.
Gravel would cause some danger by flipping cars or simply putting dirt on the track.

However they could try the same stuff like PRC has. Maybe different colors though...

What's this ?
You didn't say, is it your proposal or ...someone's else ?
And looking at it... I don't think problem is beginning of Eau Rouge but rather on the end of it. Runoff area and the cars who bouncing off the barriers ending back on the track.

I don't think they need to change the corner, they just need to change the run off. If that wall wasn't at the exit of the pit it wouldn't have thrown the car back into the line of traffic. If they took that wall out and widened the run off that car would have continued on away from the track and there wouldn't have been the secondary collision.

Same goes for the wall on the left side, it's dangerous in that it either brings a car to an abrupt stop or pushes it back onto the track.

upload_2019-9-5_17-35-51.png
View attachment 323190

In my opinion they should replace the plastic-carpet and the right with a much wider astroturf surface.
Better to ruin your tires going wide than your life.
Those carpets are super slippery and from the right/wrong angle you only getting faster towards the barriers.
Carpets have their purpose, but not in such a tricky corner.

@gamer19
The answers to your poll are way too narrow minded, as you are putting an opinion behind every answer. I think the question is way too complicated to be done in a poll, especially in such a way ;-).

l0l on FOX remark.
Well, I can't edit it now, as far as I can see at least...

And tbh I disagree, to a degree, with you two. Yes and No are way too bland. :)
Ok, maybe I tried to be funny in #3 but in my defense I'm pretty funny in my native language and sometime I carry (way?) too much of speed into that tight double apex corner. Sorry about that. But #1 and #2 are pretty solid. :)

If someone can do it, you have my blessing to delete the pool.
At least let's talk about it, like most civilized people. :D
Or imagine that they are just YES, NO and I DON'T KNOW.

View attachment 323189 View attachment 323190
In my opinion they should replace the plastic-carpet and the right with a much wider astroturf surface.
Better to ruin your tires going wide than your life.
Those carpets are super slippery and from the right/wrong angle you only getting faster towards the barriers.
Carpets have their purpose, but not in such a tricky corner.
With all due respect... don't think that carpet is main problem. Run off should be much bigger.
And if that doesn't help, then... brace for load of disagrees, change the layout of corner itself.
IF #1 doesn't help, I say again.

Brown knows the best? he does't know *** :D it's not that Brawn, but i have made the same mistake too many times :p
I don't like any desperate/emotional altering...

Brown knows the best? he does't know *** :D it's not that Brawn, but i have made the same mistake too many times :p
I don't like any desperate/emotional altering...
Thanks for trying to makes me feel I'm still funny :D but...
don't you have any opinion on this matter mate ?
None... whatsoever ? C'mon... interesting topic, isn't it.
Lousy presentation, ok :D and not so popular member :sneaky: but still...

Thanks for trying to makes me feel I'm still funny :D but...
don't you have any opinion on this matter mate ?
None... whatsoever ? C'mon... interesting topic, isn't it.
Lousy presentation, ok :D and not so popular member :sneaky: but still...

Yeah, i only like that guy with weird shirt(Paul) opening topics :D just kidding. i thought i'm the not so popular member, now i have a competition on my hand god damn it:confused::D
well, i didn't want to write about it as my view could be very unpopular and maybe offensive or disrespectful to some.
we shouldn't change the tracks when "mistakes" from driver's side led to an big accident, or when someone during yellow flag still stays on full throttle, and even keeping his foot on throttle when he sees the smoke and debris and hit a...
in my eye the only thing that made that crash fatal was that.

the problem here is, this particular corner complex have the most attention and spotlight in the Motorsport , and when a crash happens there, there will be so much attention, like there are always wreckfest there, while the crashes at that complex are not even 0.5% of annual crashes in motorsport...
they can put some gravel at the side of the complex to decrease driver's greed on the exit and that gravel can _most of the time_manage to stop F1 cars, but when it comes to other cars like F3 cars, the gravel traps make them jump and roll and even more dangerous situations. also when you have so many endurance series running at your track, gravel traps are nightmare for drivers, no one wants to end a 24H hours race because of going a little wide(when someone forced you) and stuck in gravel 30 mins to the finish, GT3/GTE cars + gravel is hell :D i was watching some of them sinking in monza. btw i like to see gravel traps at some tracks

Also there are always some more dangerous things in F2 that make every corner dangerous this season we have two moving chicanes and one wild-punting chicane, i only name the last one, Gelael!

Last edited:
l0l on FOX remark.
Well, I can't edit it now, as far as I can see at least...

And tbh I disagree, to a degree, with you two. Yes and No are way too bland. :)
Ok, maybe I tried to be funny in #3 but in my defense I'm pretty funny in my native language and sometime I carry (way?) too much of speed into that tight double apex corner. Sorry about that. But #1 and #2 are pretty solid. :)

If someone can do it, you have my blessing to delete the pool.
At least let's talk about it, like most civilized people. :D
Or imagine that they are just YES, NO and I DON'T KNOW.

With all due respect... don't think that carpet is main problem. Run off should be much bigger.
And if that doesn't help, then... brace for load of disagrees, change the layout of corner itself.
IF #1 doesn't help, I say again.
Yes and no are way too bland, but putting your own opinion behind it is even more so. Why would I vote any of the options if I don't agree with the opinion behind it, just a simple yes or no does it more justice.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 228 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 222 14.3%