GT5 E3 - Gran Turismo 5 US release date: November 2, 2010

Funniest comment about the release date I've seen comes from the official iRacing forums:

" What a bunch of whack jobs they have over at PD, I'll be amazed if GT5 sells 500,000 regular copies and even more amazed if they release it on November 2nd of this year."

Yeah right, this is the franchise thats sold 55 million copies worldwide! November 2nd is a Tuesday so perhaps Friday the 5th for EU? The EU blog promises some more details on the collectors edition in a few weeks but at least we have a date for one territory - the others can't be far behind!

Euro guys can still import it, as the ps3 is universal :)
but big lol at the quote from the forum in iRacing....I wonder where that guy is living.......GT series is a game that no one can deny it's power....
with many cars/class and tracks that it has always offer.....something, if you think about it now, that has given the opening for racing game developers to make a racing game with many classes instead of focusing only on 1 class (Race series + add-ons, rfactor & iracing itself)

It will sell very well but importantly for Sony it will also be a system seller just as Halo was for the XBOX. I'm hoping Sony will have some sort of co-ordinated release across the world, even if its a few weeks I would wait. I'm sure if its ready for November 2nd in the US they will have it ready for the Christmas period around the world.

I think it's to late to be a system seller. It needed to be a launch title. I now know that would have been impossible with all the features and tbh pixel wasting gimmicks (The Stig, come on). And the fact it will be up against the new 360 and Kinect it will be hard for sony to use GT5 as a console seller. Thats not to say it wont bring some gamers over to PS3 myself included, but i think the best that could be hoped for by Sony is what it will be............ A Forza killer.

I think it's to late to be a system seller. It needed to be a launch title. I now know that would have been impossible with all the features and tbh pixel wasting gimmicks (The Stig, come on). And the fact it will be up against the new 360 and Kinect it will be hard for sony to use GT5 as a console seller. Thats not to say it wont bring some gamers over to PS3 myself included, but i think the best that could be hoped for by Sony is what it will be............ A Forza killer.

Its late to the party that is true but its not too late to sell systems for Sony, I've seen plenty of comments across various forums/sites along the lines of "now I have the excuse to buy a PS3" etc. A lot of gamers have been waiting for this title to come to the PS3 before buying. Polishing the online play, head tracking support, crash damage and physics are hardly pixel wasting gimmicks. Do you really think it took them long to model a new crash helmet to stick on top of the existing avatar you see driving your car in replays? Having this kind of relationship with Top Gear will raise the profile and reach an audience they may not have reached before so the small amount of effort required to model the Stig pays off a hell of a lot more. I believe GT5 will set a new benchmark on the console format for physics, realism, graphics and content I just hope the online part of the game lives up to PD's high standards.

I agree with Kevin on this, even I'm probably going to buy a PS3 just for this (preferably some sort of a bundle)... but I'm not buying it on the day one, that's for sure... I'm still not convinced that the game is as good as they say it is, so I'm going to wait a couple of weeks, read reviews and opinions of experienced simracers here on RD and then I'll decide whether I'll buy it or not... 300€ is a lot of money to spend on one game, so I want to be sure that it will be the right decision :confused:

also, I'm very interested in what they (PD) mean by "premium" cars and "standard" cars... if it really means that "standard" cars won't have fully modelled cockpits, then I probably won't buy the game at all :bad:

GT Planet has compiled this list of features from the many game sites reporting on E3: http://www.gtplanet.net/more-gt5-details-highlow-beams-dynamic-crowds-no-bbq-smell/

• Polyphony Digital is working on reducing load times and is still tweaking graphics ahead of the November release date.
  • The game has nearly filled all of the space available on Blu-Ray disc.
  • You’ll have the option to synchronize the game’s time of day with the track’s current local time.
  • The crowds will be dynamic, so there will be more tents, cars, and motorhomes at longer races.
  • Yamauchi admits his team may have “actually gone too far in modeling some of this detail” and suggested it might be “more suited to the next generation of PlayStation.”
  • Both high and low-beam headlights will be included, so you can flash slower cars as you’re about to pass them (how awesome will this be during the 24 hour races!?!). All lights will illuminate dirt, smoke, or other debris in the air.
  • NASCAR insisted that all of their series’ cars be playable on all circuits in the game.
  • It was previously mentioned that only 9 NASCAR cars will be included, but this was incorrect. There are simply 9 cars in the E3 2010 demo, but “many more” are coming.
  • With the exception of profanity, all of the Nurburgring’s graffiti has been re-created, just as it is in real life. According to Kotaku, they will attempt to keep the graffiti up-to-date before the game is shipped.
  • Players will be able to maintain an online profile to share and watch friend’s progress and statistics.
  • All cars (including standard models) will accumulate dirt and will have functional horns.
  • All cars will have functioning reverse lights.
  • More information will be revealed at Gamescom in Germany on August 18-22.
  • More Formula 1 teams will bring their cars to the game, in addition to Ferrari.
  • “While racing the 24 hours of Nurburgring, you can smell people’s barbecues — we couldn’t recreate that.” — Kazunori Yamauchi

That vid looks good. Getting a wee bit excited I must admit.

To be frank I am not bothered with the single player part of the game. Last time I played a single player racing game was........cant even remember.

Hence the reason i am asking about the online features to be spot on. Maybe triple screen setup possible?

From the virtualr previews, the Top Gear test track looks like fun :good:

Attachments

• dunsfold.jpg
    dunsfold.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 218
There is still a bit of confusion over cockpits on standard cars. A lot of sites are saying they will not which would be a disappointment but not a deal breaker for me. I can't help but wonder that if these cars have been previously modeled in past GT titles whether they will have a cockpit but the confusion comes over what that cockpit entails. The premium cars the deformation actually makes it into the cockpit so if you have a hard hit on the door you will see the panels buckled inside the car apparently on the premium cars so I wonder if what they mean by standard means just a standard cockpit with no interior deformation and not to the same level of detail as premium cars which apparently have crazy attention to detail. Time will tell I guess.

well, looks like the confusion is over... "standard" cars won't have fully modelled cockpits :frown: also, they will only have standard headlights (as opposed to low/high beam ones found on "premium" cars) and won't feature body panel deformation (only performance damage + dirt, dents & scratches)...

source: GTPlanet

well, looks like the confusion is over... "standard" cars won't have fully modelled cockpits :frown: also, they will only have standard headlights (as opposed to low/high beam ones found on "premium" cars) and won't feature body panel deformation (only performance damage + dirt, dents & scratches)...

source: GTPlanet

Actually according to US granturismo site:

sadproof.jpg

If I think what it means, it's the recently multi-angled interior views seen only recently in GT5 (although the press only GT Academy TT copy seems to have the feature as well). Essentially it's these views:

4738382204_452a52c182_b.jpg

4738382460_8f845f908e_b.jpg

4737747057_00316a764a_b.jpg

4737747317_92cc931651_b.jpg

As to the cockpit view itself which PD or SCEA refers to as interior dash view, I don't know if the lack of "interior camera view" would also mean there won't be the "interior dash view". Personally, I would wait till the upcoming Gamescom (in August) where more infos about GT5 will be released before making any assumptions.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.4%