DYI G-Seat

So I finally got to the point, where I can start working on the G-Seat.

Here is my latest progress with the rig in general.

What's important for G-Seat part of the project is tactile installation on the seat, which consists of 3 BK Concert + 1 TST 239, so it's pretty powerful tactile, so I must make sure nothing rattles, this will be challenge as there will be many moving parts.

p9160034-jpg.269887

p9160040-jpg.269890

I'm using Kirkey Aluminium Seat, link is here.

I have 17'' version and it fits me like a glove :) I'm 168 cm, around 66 kg, quite thin with broader shoulders and it's so so, especially with the G-Seat paddles. I'm striving to take around 2,5 cm of space from the internal volume with paddles.

Here is the parts overview:

A) Bottom paddles - with big space between them - I don't want to simulate heave, maybe just a little, but it's intended mainly as pressure from the sides.

upload_2018-10-13_23-31-47.png

B) Main back paddles - narrower gap between to allow for some pressure during acceleration.

C) Additional back paddles for sides - just for thin guys, I made them removable to allow someone with bigger butt to fit in there :)

upload_2018-10-13_23-31-21.png

I spent day and half measuring etc., here are some images of progress:

upload_2018-10-13_23-36-1.png

upload_2018-10-13_23-37-3.png

Now when I printed it on A3:

PA130060.jpg

And with additional paddle from the side:

PA130061.jpg

I'm really happy it worked so well! I just have to correct 2 lines where the plate would be bent and that's it! I don't need to tweak the shape any more, it fits perfectly!

I will be probably using 4x ASME-04A servos for 4 paddles and 2 for seat belt tensioner.

p9160048-jpg.269898

The servos for bottom paddles will be located on red profiles like pictured below, on these profiles will be also servos for seatbelt fastener.

Servos for back paddles will be mounted to the seat.

servo-placement.jpg

The servos axles are goint to be extended by this connection - 8 mm to 12 mm, for 12 mm shafts I use aluminium hollow shaft with 2 mm thick wall.

upload_2018-10-13_23-49-45.png

The shaft will be like 0,5 m long, so at the end, it will be fixed in ball bearing with housing connected to the seat to prevent shaft bending.

upload_2018-10-13_23-51-53.png

Along the way there are going to be 2 points on each shaft with fixed clamp.

upload_2018-10-13_23-53-49.png

Last edited:
So first piece is done. I did some mistakes, so I had to print it second time :)

upload_2019-1-1_20-16-31.png

upload_2019-1-1_20-17-47.png

P1010081.jpg

P1010082.jpg

And it fits perfectly!

Note: the hinges will be covered by piece I will print, so there won't be any rough edges to irritate the back.

Now second piece.

I corrected my stupid mistake when I was drilling, so it is offset:

upload_2019-1-1_20-19-43.png

I needed to place the hinge as high as possible (to prevent as much bending of the plate as I could). Now it goes over the weld on seat, so I needed to do that part overhanging, I hope it won't cause any trouble, but PETG is strong so it should be hopefully ok.

upload_2019-1-1_20-42-51.png

upload_2019-1-1_20-21-51.png

I'll see tommorow if I managed to get it right :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Keen to just follow this in the background to see how it goes.
The Alu plates look great indeed but I see a possible problem with the angled shoulder sections and them extending forward.

I get that you are seeking more body contact for the sides/shoulders and this is why these are shaped the way they are. As the plates are extended to their max. Does this then not reduce the width of the gap between the shoulder sections. Meaning that it not only will push the body forward but squeeze & compress the shoulders inwards.

Yeah, it will squeeze you, that's the point :) But I will see if it's OK feeling or if it feels weird, it could go either way :)

I hope it will be allright as only some part would be dedicated to acceleration (let's say 40 % for now and for steering / lateral forces it would be 60 % of travel). So when accelerating it will squeeze you but not too extremely and only one paddle could go beyond those 40 % of travel based on which turn are you going through. So it will push to your shoulder.

I have car with soft suspension and the angle of the whole car is big when going through sharp turn. It feels like the shoulder is getting most of the force and I have to really brace against this g-force, so I think this could feel quite similar with paddles like this. Maybe for race cars with stiff suspension it might be different but I haven't driven one yet.

It will be mostly about profiles in the end I think to make it believable but who knows :)

Keen to just follow this in the background to see how it goes.
When fully extended with this shape of plate will it also force the arms more in towards the wheel, my query is trying to understand how this impresses on the body and determine what is ideal to achieve the result desired but still maintaining comfort.

The average man varies from a typical 40-44 inch chest. Of course some people are below and well above this. Its hard to tell from the images posted so far but the breadth of your shoulders still need to fit within the gap between the far left-far right shoulder plates. If this reduces the gap by 3-4" when fully extended, will that work?

If also using more powerful motors, I'm wondering if It might be better to build the plate sections on a flatbed surface for testing their operation and then to discover what the measurements are when the plates are static to being fully extended.

I see where you are going. I think with this could help SFX100 which would lean the rig and you will be pressed against the paddle so it might feel more natural even with bigger range of motion than on rig without motion.

The average man varies from a typical 40-44 inch chest. Of course some people are below and well above this. Its hard to tell from the images posted so far but the breadth of your shoulders still need to fit within the gap between the far left-far right shoulder plates. If this reduces the gap by 3-4" when fully extended, will that work?

Best feeling will be for user perfectly fitting into the seat, for other people sizes it might not be optimal but should work as well with custom profiles and also maybe with some padding for smaller people.

I hope it will work as described above with dedicating some range of motion to acceleration and rest to the lateral forces.

If also using more powerful motors, I'm wondering if It might be better to build the plate sections on a flatbed surface for testing their operation and then to discover what the measurements are when the plates are static to being fully extended.

With all the tactile, seat belt fastener etc. I don't have much room to work with, so I'll use what I have in disposal and that's best done on the seat itself.

I feel horror if I imagine I would have to redesign the seat attachment, tactile attachment, peripheries etc. :) Those ASME servos will fit with no problem. Problem would be if I needed bigger motors but I will deal with that once I test those ASME servos, I hope they will be enough :)

Upvote 0
Wow nice work! You made yourself an expert in the field just for this project :) Reminds me of this scene:

I'm sure the PETG will be strong enough, if you use lots of infill around the screws.

Your panel design looks very promising and potentially more effective for cornering forces than just flat panels from the back! Following with great interest :)

Upvote 0
Wow nice work! You made yourself an expert in the field just for this project :) Reminds me of this scene:

I'm sure the PETG will be strong enough, if you use lots of infill around the screws.

Your panel design looks very promising and potentially more effective for cornering forces than just flat panels from the back! Following with great interest :)

Haha :)

I used to do 3D modelling like 15 years back, so I had to mainly get used to different software, Fusion drove me crazy at start, but I start to understand it little bit :)

Here's next piece for attachment of the bottom paddles, this will be probably hit and miss as there are small angles which will be hard to get right for the first time.

upload_2019-1-1_22-55-21.png

The V hole is for sixpoint harness webbing.

upload_2019-1-1_22-54-52.png

This will go to the front:

upload_2019-1-1_22-56-29.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-1_22-52-28.png
    upload_2019-1-1_22-52-28.png
    233 KB · Views: 251
Upvote 0
Nice work on updates....

Thanks for the clarification, I get what your saying in lateral G having more positional movement, when only one of the paddles is operating. With an effect like acceleration using the rear back paddles and both operating at the same time then possibly that will require finding the balance of how much extension for both paddles can be comfortable or sustained. As you say it depends on your own physical size and the angle/shape of the panels for the shoulder region. I think thats one reason why sold solutions like GS4 or GS5 have mainly straight panels to accommodate various sizes of people.

Other motion like Geko seems to have the back/shoulder section move laterally rather than just paddles applying depression. Which is better I have no idea but GS4 has always been popular with most owners that have used them.

At the right time, it might be interesting for you to try some of the "Lateral G" effects I had toyed around with. One thing I was attempting to do was see just how much potential energy we can extract from a large BK but using the DSP to restrict its frequency output to only the very lowest frequencies. Then crank the crap out of it just for fun.

Certainly have seen potential here, though this, of course, is quite experimental as I doubt few others than myself have even bothered with creating specific SSW effects with the idea of pushing the large BK to their extremes for the very concept of utilising very powerful tactile based "G" effects combined with the motion.

Don't see me going the route of adding "G" based seat but I will be testing more with this concept of seeing what is possible with using multiple large BK. Mainly as that is part of my own seat build with exploration towards enhancing "G" based sensations as best possible via what tactile can offer.

Though I am really curious to get feedback on how a good G based motion seat feels with combined tactile effects using the biggest BK units to help enhance the immersion compared to the alternative with no G based tactile effects at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Little bit of update, I was going little bit backwards and spent more time on the first piece of attachment. I'm doing third printed iteration and I hope the last one. :)

I have reworked it to use hexagonal bolts. Also I had to account for piece height, so it's designed so it accommodates of the shelf length of bolts etc., so mostly fine tuning.

I also made protrusion, so the 2 printed pieces holding the back paddles are fitting together and can be glued and bolted together to act as 1 piece on which you can attach the paddles, and then you bolt it to the seat with couple of bolts so it's easily assembled and also easily mounted together.

I finally caught drive again, so I hope to have first working prototype with just 2 ASME servos I have now within 3 - 4 weeks max.

Hopefully final design of this piece :)

upload_2019-1-4_0-58-28.png

upload_2019-1-4_0-59-23.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice work on updates....

Thanks for the clarification, I get what your saying in lateral G having more positional movement, when only one of the paddles is operating. With an effect like acceleration using the rear back paddles and both operating at the same time then possibly that will require finding the balance of how much extension for both paddles can be comfortable or sustained. As you say it depends on your own physical size and the angle/shape of the panels for the shoulder region. I think thats one reason why sold solutions like GS4 or GS5 have mainly straight panels to accommodate various sizes of people.

Other motion like Geko seems to have the back/shoulder section move laterally rather than just paddles applying depression. Which is better I have no idea but GS4 has always been popular with most owners that have used them.

At the right time, it might be interesting for you to try some of the "Lateral G" effects I had toyed around with. One thing I was attempting to do was see just how much potential energy we can extract from a large BK but using the DSP to restrict its frequency output to only the very lowest frequencies. Then crank the crap out of it just for fun.

Certainly have seen potential here, though this, of course, is quite experimental as I doubt few others than myself have even bothered with creating specific SSW effects with the idea of pushing the large BK to their extremes for the very concept of utilising very powerful tactile based "G" effects combined with the motion.

Don't see me going the route of adding "G" based seat but I will be testing more with this concept of seeing what is possible with using multiple large BK. Mainly as that is part of my own seat build with exploration towards enhancing "G" based sensations as best possible via what tactile can offer.

Though I am really curious to get feedback on how a good G based motion seat feels with combined tactile effects using the biggest BK units to help enhance the immersion compared to the alternative with no G based tactile effects at all.

Will try, but later as I have it all disassembled right now.

Unfortunately strong g-force tactile isn't option for me right now, as all those big buttkickers are busy with all the other effects, I think I would need triple role setup for each unit :)

Upvote 0
Will try, but later as I have it all disassembled right now.

Unfortunately strong g-force tactile isn't option for me right now, as all those big buttkickers are busy with all the other effects, I think I would need triple role setup for each unit :)

I think its going to be Feb before I can have my seat/installation up and running...

If your going to end up with SFX, as some are already stating it offers very good bumps.
So it makes sense to then consider using the outer BK you have to operate primarily for "G" based effects, removing the positional bumps from the Concert units.

Regards the tactile possibilities, when I can, I will commence thorough testing in using "G" effects and them being combined with others. I can do this with the same channels being used, as (single units, Dual and Triple role) to see what limitations are discovered.

I have already looked at the possibility of installing 2 more LFE units to my planned crazy seats tactile tubing structure. I want to test the idea of having these used for "Specific Role" for "G" based effects. It might be interesting to see what the outcome is.

2x BK Concert (L/R Triple Set)
2x BK LFE (L/R)
2x TST 429 (L/R)
2x BK LFE (Specific Role = G Effects)
1x BK Concert (Engine Dual Role)
1x TST Gold (Engine)

Low Hz & Lots Of Power
We can, of course, move muscle tissue, nerves and increase the sensory perception via vibration.
All that is needed is finding effects sensations that suit the nature of the effect desired. I stand by my own experimentation and testing, others are welcome to doubt or ignore the possibilities.

Such will of course, feel different to a pressure-based paddle. From the experimental testing that I have already done, in some ways I see advantages I have shared before in that compared to what a GS4/GS5 offers. Someone is free to correct me here, are the paddles not only restricted to the same sensation but with more pressure applied. Once the paddle reaches its max extension, while it holds the position it cannot continue to keep extending the pressure.

With tactile we can apply different sensations, in actual feel, not just increased gain or same operation with all cars. Its possible to have different classes of cars with more "G" being created but also to have different characteristic sensations. I have tested some experimental effects in the past that can continue to increase in gain/strength on tracks like Daytona Roadcourse and its banked oval corners. These as you are aware lasting for many, many seconds. How far into such a corner does a GS4/GS5 reach its max extension? I would presume in this type of scenario more can be done with tactile but each option will have their own benefits or be liked/disliked depending on the user.

The point is we have options to exploit beyond what (professional consumer based cockpits currently offer). Perhaps its upto the user to see how good/bad they may be able to enjoy or use tactile to bring "G" based immersion. Including what it seems nobody here is doing, by seeking to achieve "G" based tactile to also enhance "G" based motion they may already have.

Here at RD forums, we have people matching up 2-3 forms of motion and having all the configuration and software these require. I don't see how the concept of possibly using tactile with more than one software solution, be it backed with more advanced hardware or technically improved installations is a big issue. Or how some form an idea of what is or isnt possible without proper testing themselves with the opinion it is over-excessive or not worth considering doing.

Everyone to their own ideas and indeed many of us may differ in opinions but my perspective is as it always has been and that is to push tactile immersion to its limits. It's just for my own build, I don't know when to stop as I am driven by (what if) too often. Yet I know what potential is possible when we introduce the larger units and apply an improved installation that also increases the body contact regions.

What is clear is that very few I can see have really experimented with such to research into what gains such maybe can bring. Yet when i-Racing forums has a member showing a motion seat with those tiny little Dayton Pucs people go "WOW" (lol) ;)

I think you can go beyond a GS5 and what SimXperiences offered solution can provide. Just as a very affordable motion system like SFX is is as good if not better in some regards than D-Box or other costly motion solutions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think its going to be Feb before I can have my seat/installation up and running...

If your going to end up with SFX, as some are already stating it offers very good bumps.
So it makes sense to then consider using the outer BK you have to operate primarily for "G" based effects, removing the positional bumps from the Concert units.

Regards the tactile possibilities, when I can, I will commence thorough testing in using "G" effects and them being combined with others. I can do this with the same channels being used, as (single units, Dual and Triple role) to see what limitations are discovered.

I have already looked at the possibility of installing 2 more LFE units to my planned crazy seats tactile tubing structure. I want to test the idea of having these used for "Specific Role" for "G" based effects. It might be interesting to see what the outcome is.

2x BK Concert (L/R Triple Set)
2x BK LFE (L/R)
2x TST 429 (L/R)
2x BK LFE (Specific Role = G Effects)
1x BK Concert (Engine Dual Role)
1x TST Gold (Engine)

It's time for dedicated thread already, com'mon, really curious on bigger picture :)

Yeah I'm planning SFX :) So then tactile will be more free, but I fear I will have to get rid of all soft isolation I have, which will limit the tactile very much... But lets see when I get there. I might do some test without any isolation, but I'm really afraid...

The amount of tactile you are packing is just insane :)

We can, of course, move muscle tissue, nerves and increase the sensory perception via vibration.
All that is needed is finding effects sensations that suit the nature of the effect desired. I stand by my own experimentation and testing, others are welcome to doubt or ignore the possibilities.

Such will of course, feel different to a pressure-based paddle. From the experimental testing that I have already done, in some ways I see advantages I have shared before in that compared to what a GS4/GS5 offers. Someone is free to correct me here, are the paddles not only restricted to the same sensation but with more pressure applied. Once the paddle reaches its max extension, while it holds the position it cannot continue to keep extending the pressure.

With tactile we can apply different sensations, in actual feel, not just increased gain or same operation with all cars. Its possible to have different classes of cars with more "G" being created but also to have different characteristic sensations.

I have not that great experience with G-tactile-force, there's not enough power as I mentioned, but also all tactile I have is going from bottom, so I have no real feeling in shoulders. Even in butt I feel it in all the other effects very slightly.

I think the paddles will stand out more against tactile / bumps / shaking as it simulates naturally the G-Forces via pressure.

The paddles can be set to have big amounts of travel, so you don't run out of it. As you will be strapped with belt, the motors will keep pushing and compressing your tissues, thus simulating more G-Force. I'm not sure how it will feel being pressed against seatbelt in turn, but I think it will be all right, as most pressure will be felt from the back.

I don't really understand the need for different characteristic sensations from G-Forces via tactile. G-Force is always G-Force, just pressure and the feeling of it, how it develops in time. I think all cars should simulate G-Force the same way, just the movement, acceleration, its strength etc. differentiates it car from car. As it will be tied to telemetry, it will generate exactly the forces based on car suspension and it won't be using "fakery" that tactile requires due to it's nature.

I don't say tactile is bad, but I think this direct connection to telemetry and simulating the movement by actual movement will be more realistic and better feeling. As I said before, I got lot of tactile for bumps, but it still feels just like localized bangs to the butt, because your brain expects that there will be heave. Same thing is for G-Force, the brain will expect pressure applied with some actual movement. Tactile can simulate pressure, but it's missing this expected movement where you will naturally brace against and activate muscles in your core against this pressure. I think this is the component that tactile G-Force effects will be missing.

Just my opinion. I think that tactile G-Force effects could be beneficial to G-Seat, but it won't be as good as combination. I even think that paddles will be superior to tactile alone, but that's just speculation (I'm talking about my rig and my experience). You have much more powerful tactile system, so it might be different for you.

I have tested some experimental effects in the past that can continue to increase in gain/strength on tracks like Daytona Roadcourse and its banked oval corners. These as you are aware lasting for many, many seconds. How far into such a corner does a GS4/GS5 reach its max extension? I would presume in this type of scenario more can be done with tactile but each option will have their own benefits or be liked/disliked depending on the user.

As I said before you will be pressured against the seatbelt. With SFX-100 you will be pressured also against gravity, so I think the pressure that could be applied to you will depend just on the strength of the engine.

Check this out, I mean this video.

It pulls the seatbelt in turns to simulate G-Force, if you nail profiles right and you will have strong enough motors, I think it could do more G-Force than anyone would be able to handle comfortably :)

Anyway I will try to combine all systems I can and see how it feels, I mean paddles, seat belt tensioner, tactile.

The point is we have options to exploit beyond what (professional consumer based cockpits currently offer). Perhaps its upto the user to see how good/bad they may be able to enjoy or use tactile to bring "G" based immersion. Including what it seems nobody here is doing, by seeking to achieve "G" based tactile to also enhance "G" based motion they may already have.

Here at RD forums, we have people matching up 2-3 forms of motion and having all the configuration and software these require. I don't see how the concept of possibly using tactile with more than one software solution, be it backed with more advanced hardware or technically improved installations is a big issue. Or how some form an idea of what is or isnt possible without proper testing themselves with the opinion it is over-excessive or not worth considering doing.

Everyone to their own ideas and indeed many of us may differ in opinions but my perspective is as it always has been and that is to push tactile immersion to its limits. It's just for my own build, I don't know when to stop as I am driven by (what if) too often. Yet I know what potential is possible when we introduce the larger units and apply an improved installation that also increases the body contact regions.

What is clear is that very few I can see have really experimented with such to research into what gains such maybe can bring. Yet when i-Racing forums has a member showing a motion seat with those tiny little Dayton Pucs people go "WOW" (lol) ;)

I think you can go beyond a GS5 and what SimXperiences offered solution can provide. Just as a very affordable motion system like SFX is is as good if not better in some regards than D-Box or other costly motion solutions.

I think nobody beside rig like yours could get decent G-Force tactile, I imagine it requires lot of power and specific installation. On my rig with 4 BK Concert it's not that good. I also probably suck on profiles though, I look forward to try yours.

You are very specific case, as in my opinion you are trying to push tactile as much as you can, as it is hobby for you, but I think you would get better results (overall realistic feeling) if you would combine all systems that's available. You might have other reasons you don't want to go with paddle system for G-Seat, but I think you will be missing out.

I will try to report on my progress of combining everything, but I won't go as far as you do with tactile because investing so much time, money and dedication to getting last 10 % out of tactile performance in my eyes is not worth it (unless you enjoy the path), because you just can't get past it's natural limitations.

However for some effects it's impossible to beat it (engine, wheel slip, also breaking feels awesome).

Upvote 0
I'm interested in the seat belt tension system. Guy is in Australia which helps me. Seems like it could be a wait though as he doesn't get time to build very many and there are a few people that want them.

I was going to try a passive system but I think this might just be the best way to go about it.

Upvote 0
So I made final version of back paddles holder - one special version (as I have drilled holes to the paddles at the wrong place) and other what it should have looked like :). Two pieces together looks like this:

upload_2019-1-6_13-7-14.png

upload_2019-1-6_13-9-2.png

So far I'm printing my customized second piece, more progress to follow :)

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-6_13-8-38.png
    upload_2019-1-6_13-8-38.png
    109.4 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice work, will continue to check in every so often to see your progress.
Look forward to testing and installation of the motors.

Michal, you have a new seat now, to when you started with your own build. I can only share that, its possible to improve the tactile dispersion to other body regions and what I have found thus far from still ongoing tests, is it can bring a big improvement over just the typical installation being done. Yes in time I will start a thread focusing on my own seat and how it incorporates new ideas/thinking into how tactile is used and installed. It may encourage you or give you ideas, I cant say but all I can do is help highlight things I have discovered in an area that very few people it seems have experimented.

Really its up to you what methods you want to apply or how to combine more than one method to highlight the immersion for G loads. I don't think any are like the real thing, nor do they necessarily have to be. In my own view, the goal should be to furthering or enhancing the immersion felt to the user when the effects are in operation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey guys, long time no see, but fortunately I got it moving past month, here is some progress :)

I finished with paddle attachment. It was quite hard to get all the measurements correctly, as there are lots of little angles.

I wanted to build super solid, so it manages any tactile / SFX100 movement I will throw at it without rattling anywhere. It goes really smooth without any play anywhere.

P7050114.jpg

I made the plastic parts that attach the paddles flat and in contact with body. For example as GS-5 is built, it leaves your butt / spine hanging in the air and not in contact with the seat. I focus on tactile quite heavily, so I wanted to have as much contact as I could in order not to lose any feeling.

Also I wanted the main shafts positioned on the outside to get the best tactile separation as opposed to GS-5 which have motor arms / cams attached to paddles much closer to the center of the seat, so the tactile goes mainly from the center.

I haven't tested it with tactile yet, so that it will be better this way is just speculation on my part :) but it makes sense to me design it this way :)

The seat will acommodate 3 BK Concerts - big ones + TST239, it was really difficult to figure out, how to attach everything. Now it sometime looks, there are more holes than aluminium left in this seat now :)

P7050116.jpg

It is built on Nema 23 motor. As you can see, I have quite big range of motion. I have tried Nema 23 with 4,25:1 gearbox and it cannot handle this kind forces. I have around 7,5 cm arms from main shaft connecting to the paddle, so the motor is at big mechanical disadvantage.

I upgraded from 24 V power supply to 48 V, but it is still not enough.

I have ordered variant with 15:1 gearbox, so now I'm waiting. Hopefully it will be strong enough. If not, I will have to find a way how to decrease the leverage. I can do with little bit less range, so it should be manageable, but I would rather not move the entire motor and shaft position :) as it was quite difficult to design all the parts so it aligns perfectly.

If the speed of 15:1 is still ok, I could go even for bigger ratio or bigger motor, but again, I would have to change couple of pieces / attachments.

I need to write better code for steppers so they accelerate gradually, if I throw too much acceleration at them, they lose lot of power and they skip even under lighter load.

P7050121.jpg

The motor even when powered has 'backlash' in gearbox, which results in play in motor (around 1,5 degree), but it results in like 1 cm movement in the paddle, as I have long lever there. I ordered motor with better gearbox which should have much smaller backlash. Do you guys with GS-5 @HugoB notice this backlash under power in GS-5?

I hope it won't be problem, as the back / butt is pressing against the paddles all the time, so it shouldn't be very noticeable.

P7050122.jpg

I have made the side paddle, which feels quite nice, but I still need to do more tests with stronger motor and how it actually feels while driving. It's easy to detach it if it wouldn't feel so great.

P7050128.jpg

I will be driving it with SimTools and possibly some custom plugin / software on top of that.

On the back, you can see platforms for seatbelt tensioner which will be load cell based.

I didn't want to connect left to right anywhere else but through the seat itself in order not to lose any tactile L / R separation.

P7050130.jpg

Shaft arms are 3D printed for now, but I will possibly reinforce them with aluminium, but they work great for now and are easy to redesign if necessary without too much costs. Still I have printed like 5 kg of PETG on this project and still counting :).

Seatbelt roller will probably still need some tuning.

P7050134.jpg

Second paddle, not attached yet. I will have to figure out the motors first, then it will be easy to put it all together. Until I get stronger motors, I will experiment with seatbelt tensioner / lower paddle, where there shouldn't be that much leverage.

P7050138.jpg

Attachment rods for paddles.

P6210094.jpg

Attachments

• P7050119.jpg
    P7050119.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Upvote 0
And here are some videos. Sorry for audio noise, something wrong with my camera.

Otherwise the motor is surprisingly quiet, it doesn't sound like it in the video, but it's allright. Let's see later when 6 motors are in action at the same time :D

Paddles in action:

I change the position with mouse, so there are quite harsh changes, it should be smoother in real use.

Stepper motor backlash:

It's quite a lot of play, but from what I read, there's not much I can do (beside using lower leverage so it is not that noticeable). I hope with better gearbox, this play will be much lower.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Brilliant work! Honestly, no on the GS-5 I can't detect any backlash...like you said the weight is always on the paddles, which kind of eliminates any inherent backlash in the system.

Really love the wrap-around style of your paddles, and as you say, the fact they're much closer to the seat shell than the GS-5.

I always wondered why small servo motors (as in DD motor style) aren't used with encoders. I would think even a small-fish one could drive such paddles and loads directly without the need for any gearing. Yes it would add cost, but on other hand would be practically silent in operation, which would be a huge win over steppers...it's my biggest issue with the gs-5.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back