Dual GTX 980 or Triple GTX 970

Which combo to choose? I am specifically looking at Project CARS.

Edited to include 2 links I have since discovered: From the comments on the GTX 980 it would appear that scaling is an issue with 3xSLI. Therefore, if I read this correctly, the dual 980's would be preferable over the triple 970's. If anyone has any experience with 3xSLI vs. 2xSLI, I would love to hear your observations.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-980-sli-review.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-970-sli-review.html

Last edited:
That is correct, scaling is an issue, and the gain from 2->3 cards are little compared to 1->2.

I would recommend 2x980. While you might get a very small amount of extra performance from 3x970, it is more likely to cause trouble than 2 cards, and any driver-trouble specifically related to three cards are less "important" than troubles with 1 or 2 cards.
Then you would also need a MoBo and CPU good enough, and designed to make the most out of 3 (or more) GPU's, if not, you will loose performance there as well.

Upvote 0
On top of that, most racing games simply don't use SLI nearly as effectively as other games. Some games like rFactor2 actually run much slower in SLI, which is called negative scaling. I use dual 980's but then again I play a lot of games, not just racing games.

Upvote 0
It still runs worse in SLI... -.-

What are you referring to, rFactor 2? Yes, It negatively scales as I stated before. It cuts framerates in half using SLI so I have to force single GPU through the Nvidia control panel for rFactor 2. However most other racing games simply don't gain much from SLI, but there are a few that work properly, Assetto Corsa, and GSCE, and the older Simbins titles can be forced with an SLI profile through Nvidia Inspector.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What are you referring to, rFactor 2? Yes, It negatively scales as I stated before. It cuts framerates in half using SLI so I have to force single GPU through the Nvidia control panel for rFactor 2. Hpwever most other racing games simply don't gain much from SLI, but there are a few that work properly, Assetto Corsa, and GSCE, and the older Simbins titles can be forced with an SLI profile through Nvidia Inspector.

Ye, was thinking about rF2.
Oh well, I better remember that if I'm installing rF2 again then :)

Upvote 0
My experiment with SLI means that even when it work at best it causes some input lag and/or stutter. At best it´s quite drivable without any big noticable drawback. Like driving on a monitor with 5 ms vs 35 ms input lag. If you are not trained you may not instantly notice the difference.

But it´s perhaps best for more slow paced games where you want to increase the eye candy and where input lag don´t matter much.

Would be cool if they would get some breakthrough with the software. For VR Headsets with two panels maybe it will get easier to sync the GPUs

I would imagine the problems would just increase logarithmic the more GPUs you add to the mix.

Upvote 0
Okay so I am remedial on a great day with tech stuff.
This is my question:
I have a decent rig, a nice monitor, and I thought purchasing a dedicated computer
with an i7 processor would be the ticket.
But I see it's the graphics card that delivers the resolution and improved immersion.
I play only racing sims, and want to desperately have the resolution that all you guys
have.
So, do I purchase a graphics card, and have that installed in my PC?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay so I am remedial on a great day with tech stuff.
This is my question:
I have a decent rig, a nice monitor, and I thought purchasing a dedicated computer
with an i7 processor would be the ticket.
But I see it's the graphics card that delivers the resolution and improved immersion.
I play only racing sims, and want to desperately have the resolution that all you guys
have.
So, do I purchase a graphics card, and have that installed in my PC?
Also, which card is recommended? I have no clue what to purchase. All of the
specs and numbers may as well be written in hieroglyphs.
Thanks for any help. Everytime I have a question, many of you always deliver,
and never let a moron like me down.

What are your current PC specs? What you need to do is match similar spec components. Its pointless buying the fastest bit of kit if is bottle-necked by another part if the system. What you are looking for is a balanced set of components. this is how your get the best bang for you buck. If you let us know what your currently running we can advise you better.

Upvote 0
Chris,
I've just this morning have had even 5 minutes to check for any responses after
a week. I am being truthful when I say I have only a couple of hours in any
week for play/hobbies.
I get so jealous when I view all of your videos and see the graphics
For example, my best rotation @ Spa with BMW z4 GT3 is 2:19.107-
My skills are average, but I just don't enjoy racing without the graphics and complete
immersion. You guys are so fortunate to have these great graphics.
Here are the computers specs:
Intel core i7 3623QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz
RAM 8GB 64b OS x64 processor
So, whatever that all means, I have no clue.
But I'm thinking the 2.20GHz is not what I'm needing too.
I've seen many of you post your specs and virtually all of
them have more GHz.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back