DTM: R-Motorsport Aston Martin DTM Debuts on Track

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Aston Martin Vantage DTM 2.jpg

The new Aston Martin Vantage DTM car has broken cover – and what a looker it turned out to be...

Developed by R-Motorsport with assistance from former Mercedes DTM partners HWA and the AF Racing AG organisation, the 2019 Aston Martin Vantage DTM car was developed and built in record time ahead of the new season, with R-Motorsport claiming the whole process completed in less than 100 days – a remarkable feat for such a small team.

With such an impressive build project now all but complete, R-Motorsport took to the Jerez circuit early today for a series of installation laps with new driver Paul di Resta – the Scotsman completing six tours of the Spanish track before commencing a proper testing programme alongside their DTM rivals over the next few days.

Aston Martin Vantage DTM 1.jpg

Despite the very limited running undertaken so far, di Resta was enthusiastic about his initial feeling with the car, and the job his new team have done over the winter months.

The car felt good right from the start,” said di Resta.​

“The team has done an incredibly good job of bringing such a beautiful and highly driveable racing car onto the track in such a short time. Right from the roll-out, everything was working perfectly, and I immediately had a good feeling in the car. I’m now looking forward to it to the first test session tomorrow.”

Di Resta will take the opening two days of testing at Jerez, before handing over driving duties to new teammates Jake Dennis (Thursday) and Ferdinand von Habsburg on Friday.

Early days yet to judge the potential of the Vantage DTM, but one thing is for sure – if it goes as well as it looks, we could well have a new championship challenger this season!

Aston Martin Vantage DTM 3.jpg

For more news and discussion about the 2019 DTM season, as well as motorsport in general, check out the RaceDepartment Motorsport Sub Forum and involve yourself in the discussion today!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

I don't really care for modern DTM but that Aston looks absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:
I think all the DTM cars look pretty sharp - but it's the racing that doesn't really draw me in. I just like team-focused endurance races more, preferably with mixed classes. Which is part of what makes Super GT the better series to me.

Absolutely hideous, what a mess - unsurprising when you're trying to mimic a small GT around a bulky platform like the DTM reference frame. The front end styling is bad even for that though. The DBS might have been a better fit, but even that wouldn't really work.

For comparison, R-MS' actual GT3 Vantage:

r-motorsport-aston-1.jpg

Absolutely hideous, what a mess - unsurprising when you're trying to mimic a small GT around a bulky platform like the DTM reference frame. The front end styling is bad even for that though. The DBS might have been a better fit, but even that wouldn't really work.

For comparison, R-MS' actual GT3 Vantage:

r-motorsport-aston-1.jpg
I would have to agree here, love Aston but this looks like a Ginetta in the front and somehow turns into a Aston at the rear but the car is still not sure what it is.

Someone needs to start a "Make DTM Great Again" campaign.The series was fantastic when the cars looked like street cars & were nothing like the expensive chopped down "F1 with roofs" that they run now with way to much downforce & aero.

Sadly I think the series has to fail first for the organisers to come to their senses.Then we might get a series that privateers can afford to run competitive cars.Something close to the Supercar(V8)series with GT3 running gear would be worth watching.

Someone needs to start a "Make DTM Great Again" campaign.The series was fantastic when the cars looked like street cars & were nothing like the expensive chopped down "F1 with roofs" that they run now with way to much downforce & aero.

Sadly I think the series has to fail first for the organisers to come to their senses.Then we might get a series that privateers can afford to run competitive cars.Something close to the Supercar(V8)series with GT3 running gear would be worth watching.

It once was a very diverse grid, but than the big factories start putting so much money no small team could compete with them anymore. The independent teams found other classes to compete in and this turned in to frankenstein cars that only vaguely look like their real life counterparts. But are all the same onder the carbon body. Bring back the old style DTM with more realistic cars, i think the audience have more of a connection with this once iconic class.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 131 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 493 39.2%