DTM: Paul Di Resta and Jake Dennis to Drive for Aston Martin

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
R-Motorsport DTM Aston Martin.jpg

The new R-Motorsport Aston Martin team have signed Paul Di Resta and Jake Dennis for the 2019 DTM season.

Initially planning to enter a limited number of races in 2019, following the announcement of the deal to secure former champion Paul Di Resta and young up and coming driver Jake Dennis for this season, R-Motorsport have now confirmed they will be lining up on the grid for the season opening at Hockenheim this May, with a full season entry for four cars gearing up and expected to hit the track shortly.

“I am looking forward to the new DTM season and the challenge to compete with the Aston Martin Vantage DTM car for my new team R-Motorsport,” said di Resta.
Di Resta moves from long time manufacturer Mercedes AMG, having raced with the three-pointed-star during all of his nine seasons in the German category. Having taken the championship in 2010, before switching to an unsuccessful spell in Formula One with Force India, the signing of such an experienced and talented driver as Di Resta is nothing short of a major coup for the team and Aston Martin, and marks a significant signal of intent from the small outfit for the season ahead.

“It will certainly be not easy to challenge our competition of experienced teams of big premium manufacturers with our comparatively small outfit. However my impression of our team’s professionalism and ambition is very positive and I’ll go into the preparation of the championship season with a good feeling.

“I can’t wait to drive the Aston Martin Vantage DTM car at the first test on the race track and contribute my part to the development of the new car.”
Di Resta is set to be partnered by 23-year-old GT driver and sometime Red Bull tester Jake Dennis, the highly rated youngster making the switch to DTM for this season in a bid to carve out a professional motorsport career following sporadic outings in Blancpain GT for R-Motorsport, and the German ADAC GT Masters category.

“Jake is very talented,” added R-Motorsport’s boss Florian Kamelger. “He has already shown that previously in his GT3 races for R-Motorsport.

“He achieved consistently good results last year and is now a regular member of our team. I know what he can do, so I think he will quickly make his mark in the DTM.”
With intentions to enter four cars for the year ahead, it will be interesting to see who R-Motorsport can bring to the ambitious operation before the season start - especially considering a number of talented DTM racers are potentially available following the withdrawal of Mercedes Benz for the 2019 season.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
We need Nicki in one of them as well!!!

I'm glad we can finally stop people asking Nicki if he's going to drive ( this year! )... this is not AMR, it's HWA with private backers & a license to look vaguely like an Aston ( so in other words, a Mercedes ). Nicki's a works driver, no works involvement, no race.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Jake Dennis can do. Been pretty speedy recently.

Oh okay, sad to hear. Really looked forward to see him in DTM.

And yeah, I know they are no real works cars but I still saw him being able to perform, He did the same in ELMS and GT3. R-racing and the blue GT3 Aston weren't factory cars was well.

Oh okay, sad to hear. Really looked forward to see him in DTM.

And yeah, I know they are no real works cars but I still saw him being able to perform, He did the same in ELMS and GT3. R-racing and the blue GT3 Aston weren't factory cars was well.

Would have to win the championship first time out to equal his dad, I doubt that's on for a "new" team...

GT works drivers get rented out to customer teams, can see that for most manufacturers. R-MS is an AMR customer in Blancpain, so Nicki and Maxime ended up there ( as well as significant numbers of pit crew & engineers, I think ). AMR drivers are doing WEC, Blancpain, BritishGT, ADAC GT, Nurburgring 24hr, ( and maybe someone's doing VLN, I forget ) that's already a busy year! Same for Mercedes/Audi/Lambo works drivers ( less WEC and more IMSA ), and probably Porsche if people start buying their new car too.

What will be interesting is if Aston go back into LMP - that'd likely be designed by Red Bull, but if they run the LMP program too ( AMR's track record with prototypes is not stellar ) where are the drivers going to come from.

Incidentally with continually misleading statements like the thread title - implying it's a factory effort - it's no wonder people end up disappointed.

Last edited:
I think they did the sensible thing: Hire one old fox and a young gun and pair them. Paul knows the DTM and HWA and Jake evolved since joining R-Motorsport. He did some killer stints this Bathurst 12h.
Excited to see how this pans out but in the back of my head I still think that we will see an evolved Merc DTM with an Aston shell. And this is probably not far from the truth. Upside is that they will be competitive from the start.

I'd like to see Opel and Ford come back. I'd love to see a 2019 Mustang GT350 or call it DT350 on the grid.

Unfortunately the Fords were highly unsuccessful back then and felt more like a grid filler than competitor. But I agree that back then the field of cars and teams was more diverse, less professional, less streamlined and therefore more likeable.
That GT350 render looks absolutely fab. I like to see such a car in some motor race series, but not in DTM, where the cars are silhouette cars anyway. Not much room for marque-typical sights and sounds. And I always loathed 4 cylinder Mustangs to be honest. It HAS to have a V8. Period. Just this morning a 4 cylinder Mustang was storming past me with probably 160-180 kph on the Autobahn on full chat with a loud exhaust. At least it looked like a Mustang....

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 200 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%