DTM Hockenheim - Hot Lap Advice

Hey Folks!

I participated in the DTM Virtual Championship and after 2 Days of Driving i got a solid 1.34.636
My Questions is, where the hell i can get this 4sec to the Boardleader???
I think that there must be 1 or 2 horrible mistakes in my line or my breaking if there are 4 sec more available. So i recorded the last Lap that was closest to my personal best in hope someone can give me a little advice.

So here is the lap:

THX

hey mate,
I'll watch the video in a second, but trying to find 4 seconds? My first question would be, do you have a setup on the car, and if you do, are you sure its a sound setup that gives you want you want with the "feeling"?

I'll watch the video now...:)

Just watched it...

Looks like a good lap to me mate, some time on the table in the left hander into the old stadium section (I usually take a much tighter line for cleaner acceleration into the last few corners) and a bit off the apex at the last corner that cost some speed, but 4 seconds??? (insert rude or offensive word here).. that is a lot to make up and I just don't see where it can be found...:confused:
I assume (never tried a challenge) you can race against other people's ghosts from the leaderboard? If you can its worth picking up the ghost for one of the top cars and see what they do?

One other thing, I never run that wide out of T1, no idea if your line is faster or slower than keeping in track side of the curb, but worth thinking about (I have a more aggressive turn in from wider at the beginning, looking to catch the inside apex of T1 and let a bit of the inside curb, plus my extra lock pull me round so I, at most, run my outside wheels onto the exit rumble strip).

Not saying I'm any kind of expert or anything, but feel free to PM me your setup and I'll give it a whirl and offer any feedback I can (probably wont be useful, but at least you might feel better that someone's tried :))

Cheers

Don't know if the second one is any good or not, but its worth a try. Sorry if I'm teaching you to such eggs, but if you do make any setup changes, make sure you run plenty of laps and are confident you are driving consistently and to the best of your ability before making additional changes, sometimes you can be fooled by not driving the new setup properly and get led down a garden path trying to make adjustments when they are not needed :)

Hope these work out fella, come back and let us know if you manage to improve your times...

Sounds good. I will give it a try.
Since i am a total noob in setting up a car i am going to use this table for orientation. Would you recommend that or did you got a better idea where i can get better instructions on how to set it up right?

Sadly, there are no ghosts of other players in competitions available.

T1 is a bit frustrating for me.
If i go inside track i never reach the same speed than outside but i think setup can give me some extra speed here.

Thx 4 the Help, will let you know when my times are getting better =)

Hi mate,

Yes I would recommend that table, I use it myself for a starting point :) Setups arent my forte either to be honest, mostly its trial and error. If you cant see ghosts, try the normal leaderboard (not the comp version) and challenge one of the quick times, that way you get to see his ghost and can take a look at his lines and see what is different from your own. If you havent noticed it yet, its under single player/leaderboards.... Obviously any times you set wont be transferred to the comp, but at least you can get an idea from others what sort of lines they use...
If i remember correctly, is the comp for the as yet unreleased DTM 2015 cars? If so, the leaderboard might not be totally ideal as it will only be the 2014's or 13's you drive.. still, some pointers can be had i'm sure...

Good luck fella, hope it works out alright (i'm about to watch the stream from the last race at Redbull ring while I wait for the wife to get home..)

Cheers

No setup in the world will gain you four seconds per lap. The only thing that helps is practice practice and some more practice and disableling all the drivers aids. If you are new to making your own setups make sure you do a little bit of self study with this simple guide.

Especially with such silly hotlap competitions people run hundreds of laps until they nail it so put it a lot of time.

I stopped watching the video after that 10 meters running wide in the first corner so can't help you there. That surely is an invalidated lap in this competition I may hope?

*OT*Absolutly amazing race 2 at Spielberg. So much vacations in the dirt, this dude collecting that garbage looking like a complete idiot, and that command for Scheider. What do i want more from a race weekend?! :D /*OT*

Okay, i will practice on. Driving Aids are all off now.
After 30min in Get Real Mode and customizing some points in the setup i am catching up to my personal best. i got a bit of time at the "Hairpin" with shifting down to first gear and a little more at "Sachs"-turn with a smaller turn in radius and better acc. at apex. But it is a miracle for me where to get this 4 sec.

The lap was valid, but i was driving in Amateur Mode.

I'd vouch for that guide Bram mentioned too... wanted to point you to it but couldn't remember where it was!

Also, again as Bram said, moving to Get Real mode and switching of driving aids will make a big difference too..

@Mehllenium Falke DRS is not available in any session other than race sessions. Also moving to Get Real will find you about half a second to a second depending on how you drive.

I'll do some laps today and get in to the top 20 (hopefully) as I have qualified for the last 2 races but was not available for the Red Bull Ring race but I did finish 4th in the multiplayer race at Nurburgring. I'll do a lap and try and record it later on plus I'll post up whatever I do setup wise. One thing I would say is that you do want to extend the circuit where it lets you but you're going a little too far in T1. Also looking at your top speed the wing looks to be too low. Even at Red Bull the top 20 were running high wing for the most part.

In the meantime here is the lap that got me in to the Nurburgring race :

@Oscar Hardwick Maximum attack! :D Nice lap fella, proper on the edge into the entry of some of those corners, really nice!
Loved the way you took the hairpin linking the full track to the short one, I thought you'd be going off for sure!
Excellent stuff...
Might have to have a go at this, not really bothered with it at this stage, but the more I look into it, the better it starts to sound... might wait until you upload your setup first tho :D

Great video and excellent offer of posting details and setups, cheers,

Paul

@Paul Jeffrey Unfortunately you'll have to wait until I can do laps this afternoon... and then I have to figure out how aggressive you can be. Hacky Heineman is not realistically catch-able for anyone using stereotypical equipment but a 31.4 should be a comfortable qualification.

Why do I leave it until the last day every time :( it's only added pressure xD

Today's the last day? On no! Got to fit this in with the club race this evening! Looks like I will be a busy boy tonight :) Love it!
Good luck Oscar, I've seen a few of your races now (and raced with you) so i'm sure you can pull it off ;)

@Paul Jeffrey @Mehllenium Falke It took me all day to turn on R3E.

What you see here is my 10th flying lap after tweaking the setup and gearing from what I ran at Nurburgring.

Car used : BMW M4 DTM

Video :

Time is a 1:31:456 with time to be gained in every sector due to minor mistakes but it should be enough to get in to the Monday race.

Setup image attached as uploaded image.
ab57e8853bc9498790d08105e2c54cc1.png

Nice one Oscar, cheers buddy really appreciate it... BTW, video doesn't seem to be working?

Looking forward to giving this a whirl tonight. Got an electrician coming in the next 1/2 hour (finishing of the new man cave) then I might get a quick minute to have a go before tonight's club race in the WTCC 2014's @ Norisring (fancy joining us?)....

Would you mind if i posted your setup in the setups section of the club please (giving you full credit of course)? I'm slowly trying to get that built up as a repository of decent setups for people who, like me, know nothing of such things!

Thanks again Oscar, I'll have a pop and let you know how I get on ;)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 401 40.1%