DTM | GT3 Regulation Shift For Post 2020 Season

Supercars should take a leaf out of DTM's book.
Head back to the touring cars style of the 80’s and 90’s. Where the cars looked very different and specs were very different too. BMW v Holden / 2.5l v 5.0l and still some of the best racing! GT3 with BoP does a very good job at this. Personally I’d like to see a GT3.5... GT4 (very close to the road going versions) with allowance to run GT3 wings and splitters and other aero attachments. Basically more aero GT4. Maybe a little more power but meh...
EE613668-97FD-4943-A164-B3B96F2FA963.jpeg

Last edited:
I like GT3 cars as much as the next guy but not super excited about yet another GT3 series, because there's not exactly a shortage of them as is. The cars in DTM truly set it apart from other series, now it'll be just one more GT3 series like umpteen others. That said, it's quite understandable why they done it.

Voted Yes, it's gotta go somewhere so at least it's going to a sustainable series format that's well known worldwide.

Hopefully the changes they make to the regular GT3 will set it apart from the endurance stuff, at the end of the day as long as manufacturers/teams come back and the racing is exciting then that's all that matters, they can race milk floats for all I care as long as it's exciting!

It wouldn't take much to differentiate from GT3. Loose the TC and ABS, de-restrict the engines for a bit more HP and if that's not enough maybe tweak the aero for a slightly distinctive look in the way a GTE Porsche looks different to a GT3 one (mid-engine notwithstanding)

Voted no. I just don't see the point. I'm no great fan of the cars they use now and feel DTM lost itself decades ago, but as others have said... yet another GT3 series? Yawn. :sleep:

For me this just smacks of desperation to keep a great name (DTM) alive, no matter what the cost to it's heart and soul. (And probably to keep Berger in a job too.) I'd rather they let the name die with at least some dignity remaining.

voted yes, but hoping they will see the light and after a year consolidate the existing gt3 series in germany into one. there are too many competitors in a niche market. personally, among the people i meet, i don't know anyone who could name a race series other than formula one anyway, so i doubt there is room for more than one of these series. adac is a very established brand (german auto club) that has many members, one should really put that sticker on the whole enterprise rather than dtm.

Last edited:
Voted NO!!! I have watched DTM series for many decades and found the prototype cars very unique and fun from the usual stuff out there. GT3? Sorry, we already have plenty of that in the market. This adds no value and meaning. I am sure there are better options to consider but this looks like pure desperation and short term thinking. Just kill DTM completely, go rebrand and build your new circus elsewhere.

That's the problem of having a whole series that is fully dependent on manufacturers funding the teams.
Hopefully GT3 regs work but if they wanted to remain unique in Europe maybe could have tried something like Supercars instead
If only SuperGT would have listened to me back then, I always said Class One was a bad idea.

Last edited:
Was never a fan of the prototype cars I must admit. I voted no as I think they should go down the proper touring car BTCC style route. However I can imagine the GT3 route was probably the easiest way of keeping the show on the road for the short term, not exactly a shortage of GT3 machinery out there.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 380 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 250 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 182 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 306 13.0%