DTM Experience Initial Thoughts

Hi all,

So, I installed DTM Experience and got going, doing a little time (not long) at Hockenheim. I'm not one of those people that just is a fanboy, or bitches and moans about stuff. But this time, I want to share my (DTM) experience. Here's my initial thoughts on it.

Pros:
Graphics look nice
The sounds are quite good
It runs smooth on my computer (GTX 680, if I remember right)

Cons:
NO PIT STOPS - I mean, nada, nothing. No tyre changes, no repairs, no pit strategy. If you drive into the pit lane the game just drives you right through like a drive through penalty. SimBin, this is unacceptable. I heard the rumours this might be the case but I thought that would be like releasing a Call of Duty game without guns. Of all the things you haven't got, like multiplayer, releasing a motor sports game without pitstops is nothing short of shameful.

Too much stuff on screen - There's position boards, fastest laps, and all sorts of race 'info' flickering around the place all the time it's very easy to get distracted by one and make a mistake. It's like racing from inside a slot machine.

Harsh cut rules - Playing on Get Real (I want no traction, brake help, etc) you so much as just get deep into a corner and run wide off track, even when it COSTS you time, you get a cut-track warning. A few of these and it's a drive through. I agree that cutting the track should be punished, but not if I just make a mistake and miss the corner, lose time, positions, etc.

There's more stuff I am disappointed about, but I am going to cut it here so that it doesn't end up being a rant thread. This is NOT a DTM Experience at all. I was fine to get this game even without multiplayer, but I expected a game, complete, with a full, you guessed it, 'DTM Experience'. How can that be without pitstops?

They've released a game that is very disappointing, especially considering the high price point (I had money for one game this season, and regret my choice). I'll put some more hours into it so I'm not going to be unfair and not give it fair chance, see how it pans out, but I kind of feel ripped off. 40 euros is already high for a game. It feels like nothing more than an alpha version of DTM Experience 2014. My initial recommendation: Save your cash.

If 2014 version doesn't have pit stops or multi player, it's the last time I spend a cent on new SimBin stuff. They haven't even bothered replying to stuff on here, or to the contact form I filled out on their website days ago. It's almost as if they know it's crap and they're avoiding customers.

Last edited:
Hmm, very strange... I am using a Thrustmaster TX and don't have any problems with driving/holding a straight line - R3E or DTM. I am also running AC, pCARS, F1 2013, Dirt 3, and others for comparisons. While the feedback is not the best of the lot, I don't notice anything that is ruining the wheel control/experience for me.

Hmm, very strange... I am using a Thrustmaster TX and don't have any problems with driving/holding a straight line - R3E or DTM. I am also running AC, pCARS, F1 2013, Dirt 3, and others for comparisons. While the feedback is not the best of the lot, I don't notice anything that is ruining the wheel control/experience for me.

Same here, Thrustmaster TX as well.

combination of wheel degrees and steering lock helped me.

I have 360 degrees on my wheel, in game 560 and steering lock around 24- 26.

Gavin, why would you use 360 degrees rotation and 560 in game? The steering wheel in game wouldn't match your actual wheel rotation if that matters to you. It shouldn't affect the way the game plays other than the in-game wheel won't match the same rotation on screen as your real life wheel.

Gavin, why would you use 360 degrees rotation and 560 in game? The steering wheel in game wouldn't match your actual wheel rotation if that matters to you. It shouldn't affect the way the game plays other than the in-game wheel won't match the same rotation on screen as your real life wheel.

It matches for me and I can drive in a straight line no problem. That's why I replied.:)

I'm using a Fanatec CSR and I'm quite comfortable with setting up my wheel in various different sims.

Been through various settings (both on wheel and in game) suggested in this forum but nothing completely cures the vague feel of the steering. I've been assured by a couple of friends of mine that this is a known issue.

Thrustmaster RGT Pro

spot on,that is the wheel i had the problems with. they were never there in race07 or rFactor1, they appeared in that early raceroom game and were also huge in early version of PCars. The wheel then broke and I bought a g27, so when rre and rFactor2 and newer versions of PCars came out, I put it down to the wheel that everything was fine now. also dtm experience works fine with the g27, though i must say the steering is of such poor quality that i decided not to buy the game.

So is this a wheel thing then i.e. the software works better with some wheels than others?

My Fanatec CSR works wonderfully well in rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa. In fact it's great in most racing games but it feels a little off in DTM-E. It's not that I can't keep the car in a straight line but it does require very precise steering control to do so. It just doesn't feel right. It's not FFB motors working against each other or anything like that, but the steering doesn't feel like it settles into a central position as it should hence the meandering due to the constant corrections.

Any other Fanatec users here?

So is this a wheel thing then i.e. the software works better with some wheels than others?

My Fanatec CSR works wonderfully well in rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa. In fact it's great in most racing games but it feels a little off in DTM-E. It's not that I can't keep the car in a straight line but it does require very precise steering control to do so. It just doesn't feel right. It's not FFB motors working against each other or anything like that, but the steering doesn't feel like it settles into a central position as it should hence the meandering due to the constant corrections.

Any other Fanatec users here?

I have Fanatec Porsche Turbo S wheel - As mentioned on AVForurms I do think the handling / FFB is a little vague with some cars BMW M3 E30 with a hint of Shift 2 about it but I don't have a problem holding it in a straight line or any deadzone issues.

I have tried some of the tweaked FFB rcs files for Fanatec GT3 wheels (normally closest to Turbo S) but generally made it worse and reverted to default which to be fair is fine - not great but far from undriveable.

I am using 540 degrees (on wheel and in game) with 24-26 degrees lock.

In fact I`m still on the fence about getting DTME - picked up a bit of R3E content in sale. 2014 pass plus 1st dibbs at mutiplayer will likely swing it for me as well as the bonus content here of Audi R8 and Bathurst which are well worthwhile.

The DTM challenges I have tried via R3E did feel a little more direct and planted but that is how it should be given a modern high horsepower DTM car with downforce vs older touring car.

PS - I`m SSB @ AVF.

The physics feel pretty good to me, the FFB isn't perfect but certainly not bad. Of course I compare all sims these days to Assetto Corsa which is my new standard. 2014 version isn't available yet but has a number of new features coming, including multiplayer.

Hi all.....after the start of e rl season 2014 i thougt i give dtm ex a chance again as assetto is my favourite sim... I like the atmosphere and the sound of the cars.....i feel immediatly comftable on the car BUT, ffb need for my opinion some modifications....for me i miss the little step which makes me "feel immersed" in the car and feel the car as assetto ot does
I spend houres with modifications on the ffb setting,ingame,on the wheel and driver....i'm almost there bit it needs just a tiny bit....
Overall i'm happy with it,but for the 2014 update pitstops is a must have! Looking forward for mp

Ps: sorry for my english

DTM-E feels more immersed to me than AC, that is still to sterile for my feeling.

I know the direction the ffb is going and physics guys (Marko and Mark) are doing a good job.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back