DTM and Super GT will race together in 2019

They've agreed on rules, could this be the best Motorsport news of the year?
Very exciting!
180623-class-one-458x286.jpg

It is exciting but don't read it wrong. The news is not that the two championships will merge, the rules will converge. This will mean that both championships will have the same technical regulations meaning that super GT cars will be able to run in DTM and vise versa. This doesn't mean, however, that they actually will.

Both championships are very established in the countries they come from and I don't really see every brand moving over and the championships merging even less.

In addition to this one (I belief DTM) will introduce these rules in 2019 and the other (I think Super GT) in 2020, don't pin me on which is which though.

It is exciting but don't read it wrong. The news is not that the two championships will merge, the rules will converge. This will mean that both championships will have the same technical regulations meaning that super GT cars will be able to run in DTM and vise versa. This doesn't mean, however, that they actually will.
Damn, I got excited for a minute, and at my age that can be dangerous.:D

The way I understood it, they will run at least two races together next year.
I need to do some more digging, there's a few articles out there.

You're right, there will be a race in Europe and one in Asia next year. The Super GT will not yet have the new cars for the championship but a BoP will be introduced to ensure that the races will be fair. These races will be ran in current DTM style with 2 sprint races without driver swap but with tyre changes.

According to: https://www.dtm.com/en/news/dtm-and-super-gt-present-joint-technical-regulations-2018-06-23.html

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 262 13.6%