DTM 2021

It would take too much modification of the cars to enable this, at least at this stage.

They had to allow ABS and TC because the cars are designed to be driven with these systems. Therefore it was considered that it wasn't feasible to remove them as this this would have required at the minimum a reworking of the brake and engine systems, and probably wider wheels and tyres as well. Also all of the car manufacturers were against upgrading the clutch to allow for standing starts. So it's going to be rolling starts this year

So with that in mind it's easy to see why DRS and PTP are unlikely to appear, at least for the 2021 season.

I think you need to consider that 2021 is effectively a "survival" year for DTM - a season where they try to work out where they can go forward and differentiate it from bog standard GT3.

From my perspective I'm going to miss DTM as the cars were built from the ground up to be race cars, and not a modification of road cars to make them sort of race cars, and by saying that I mean no disrespect to GT3.

It would take too much modification of the cars to enable this, at least at this stage.

They had to allow ABS and TC because the cars are designed to be driven with these systems. Therefore it was considered that it wasn't feasible to remove them as this this would have required at the minimum a reworking of the brake and engine systems, and probably wider wheels and tyres as well. Also all of the car manufacturers were against upgrading the clutch to allow for standing starts. So it's going to be rolling starts this year

So with that in mind it's easy to see why DRS and PTP are unlikely to appear, at least for the 2021 season.

I think you need to consider that 2021 is effectively a "survival" year for DTM - a season where they try to work out where they can go forward and differentiate it from bog standard GT3.

From my perspective I'm going to miss DTM as the cars were built from the ground up to be race cars, and not a modification of road cars to make them sort of race cars, and by saying that I mean no disrespect to GT3.

Thank you for the explanation!

That was one of the worst season finales ever. A black day for KvdL, Abt, Mercedes, DTM and motorsport itself.

Kudos to young Mr Lawson. It was anything, but a perfect season, but the title should have been yours.

disgraceful

liam-lawson-af-corse-in-parc-f-1.jpg

Last edited:
I just saw the final two races - KvdL is a total and utter idiot on track. Total disregard to a fellow competitor, one that is leading the championship no less. If I were Lawson, I'd pack up my stuff, "say go f... yourself DTM" and head to F2 where he belongs.
Oh and Mercedes? A prime example of honorless operation to ensure the wrong guy won the championship.

Are we back to normal DTM racing cars in 2022? I have refused to watch a second of this season as I am not interested in yet another GT3 series.

Are we back to normal DTM racing cars in 2022? I have refused to watch a second of this season as I am not interested in yet another GT3 series.
I can't see DTM going back to the silhouette series that it was as all but one of the manufacturers bailed because it was too expensive (allegedly), which is a shame really as there was some really good racing with these cars.

What I did enjoy about the last season is that finally there's a season based on GT3 where it's a pure sprint series with just one driver per car - it's difficult to get invested in a series when you never really know who's driving the car, and the team may have a driver you really respect, but the other is a complete and utter a***hole.

But to differentiate DTM from GT3 i'd like to see DTM eventually get rid of ABS and TCS, plus go back to standing starts - but that's going to take some major work as the current GT3 cars simply aren't designed to work without ABS and TCS, and due to the weak clutch they aren't capable of standing starts.

But one can hope.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 336 28.2%