DS-FX Graphics mod: PP Filters, Weathers & Reshade, with Indirect Lighting and Ambient Occusion!

Misc DS-FX Graphics mod: PP Filters, Weathers & Reshade, with Indirect Lighting and Ambient Occusion! 9.2.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
Piereligio submitted a new resource:

DSFX Post Processing Filters - onboard and tv post processing filters

Hi, I made two PP filters, one to improve TV cameras' graphics, the other to improve the onboard graphics.
The onboard one is the one I like more, it's softer than most Assetto Corsa's filters, to make see well all world (terrain and sky) and the inside of the car, without the over exposure of the sky (when possible). It's softer also because human eye has much more brightness range than a camera. To set both I always compared many real life pics, mostly for the TV ones. Both filters have...

Read more about this resource...

Piereligio updated DS-FX PostProcessing Filters with a new update entry:

name changed, filters name changed, camera filter has faster exposure than before

Exists a company called "DSFX", so I changed the name of these in "DS-FX";
Changed the name of both filters (the "int" filter is now called "eye", since it emulates human sight and can be used also for external cameras, the "out" filter is now called "camera", since emulates cameras);
"camera" filter has faster auto-exposure, now.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Could you please show me some screenshots with AO on and off with noticeable difference? Because, as far as I can see, AC doesn't have AO at all.
Daubster did some tests with AO in the PP filters on AC's forum site, and showed that it is a major fps hog with not very noticeable improvements. Unless you have big gfx, look for a lot of lost fps :)

Daubster did some tests with AO in the PP filters on AC's forum site, and showed that it is a major fps hog with not very noticeable improvements. Unless you have big gfx, look for a lot of lost fps :)
There are lost FPS, yeah, but not so many, because I've decreased the number of samples from the original 64 or 32 (I don't remember), to actual 16. There is difference, when comparing having it with not having it. An example: the rev counter.
Without occlusion it isn't shadowed (it has just the direct shadow), with occlusion it darkens more.
Another area where it is evident is the volume in front of the passenger's seat. Also there, more we get far from the light, more it gets dark. Without occlusion those shadows don't increase, they're flat (it works like "light-shadow", with no occlusion, while the real world doesn't work as that).
Occlusion renders the indirect lighting (so obviously has a weight), and on AC works, and also not bad.
Every modern game has it, so also AC should have it, in my opinion. I guess also Kunos will enable it (or make it an option), one day.

Anyway I've an AMD r9 280x, here I can get 60 fps in every situation, with occlusion enabled, ultra shadows, low reflections with ultra refresh rate of reflections, mid mirrors, high ambient quality, post processing at max, no DoF, max bloom quality, no heat shimmer, god rays enabled, low smoke not visible in mirrors.

Last edited:
There are lost FPS, yeah, but not so many,because I've decreased the number of samples from the original 64 or 32 (I don't remember), to actual 16. There is difference. An example: the rev counter.
Without occlusion it isn't shadowed (it has just the direct shadow), with occlusion it darkens more. Occlusion renders the indirect lighting, and on AC works, and is also not bad. Every modern game has it, so also AC should have it, in my opinion. I guess also Kunos will enable it (or make it an option), one day.
Yes, I know it, but I though AC doesn't have it at all. And I can't see any difference when it's on or not (at least in showroom).

To use AO (SSAO, HBAO, etc.) game should render every frame two times, which isn't good for performance. Especially with models like models in AC, 200k tris per car, 24 cars on track – this is really a lot!

I'm not sure it's worth it – now we have to add AO manually (and it's kinda static; btw, neither Forza or GT have baked AO), but, in the other hand, we have very devitalized cars and don't even have to create LODs for them (well, it's recommended, but not necessary). Also, IMO, all those SSAO and HBAO stuff doesn't work well with cars. It usually produces weird shadows and goes pretty bad with transparent surfaces.

Yes, I know it, but I though AC doesn't have it at all. And I can't see any difference when it's on or not (at least in showroom).

To use AO (SSAO, HBAO, etc.) game should render every frame two times, which isn't good for performance. Especially with models like models in AC, 200k tris per car, 24 cars on track – this is really a lot!

I'm not sure it's worth it – now we have to add AO manually (and it's kinda static; btw, neither Forza or GT have baked AO), but, in the other hand, we have very devitalized cars and don't even have to create LODs for them (well, it's recommended, but not necessary). Also, IMO, all those SSAO and HBAO stuff doesn't work well with cars. It usually produces weird shadows and goes pretty bad with transparent surfaces.
Man, I'm not imagining it. I made screenshots comparisons, and ambient occlusion WORKS, definetly. Wanna a proof? Go to the ambient occlusion section, change OCCLUSION_SCALE to a big value, like 2. now load the profile again, see the difference. It makes the shadowed areas black, obviously I have set a proper multiplier to make it look realistic. I've said already the areas where the difference is noticeable, I always setup my profiles comparing with screenshots, switching them with an image viewer (so the overexposure that assetto corsa makes for a while when changing the filter doesn't confuse me).

I know that occlusion isn't perfect yet, but it's worth, for me, to use it. That's another level of realism, can't go back, mostly for the onboard camera (the TV one looks almost the same, for obvious reasons).

Last edited:
Download both images and switch them using your image viewer. ;)
@x4fab
Y1442957984116125_1.png

Y1442957984116125_2.png

Download both images and switch them using your image viewer. ;)
@x4fab
Y1442957984116125_1.png

Y1442957984116125_2.png
Just for in case, when I said “it's better to add these screenshots in filter's description”, I was talking about this pair of screenshots, they are very good.

Cool screenshots!! Thanks! :)
Could you write me what filter are you using in every screenshot?
It's Shurvision Flare with brightness fix & AO section, but, as you can see, in the second pair it's a mess. Also, I think, in the first pair it's not that good, but, to be honest, I just don't like SSAO that much. It's ok when it's very subtle, like, for example, in GTA V (but why spend so much perfomance on so subtle effect?); usually though it's just a black areas and borders around everything (like in Mafia 2), which is pretty noticeable and annoying.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 315 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 447 39.3%