Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Following on from the DRM Revival 'First Drive' video, we take each and every car out for a spin and present a brief interview with the development team.

If you missed our initial First Drive of DRM Revival mod for Assetto Corsa, be sure to check out the link HERE.

Feedback from that short bit of footage suggested it would perhaps be nice to see more of the individual cars in action, so we undertook the mammouth task of taking each of the 17 cars from the upcoming mod out for a drive on the Nürburgring Grand Prix track - all 17!

The result? Over 70 minutes of track action - enjoy :)

As well as bringing you some video footage of the cars in action, we took the opportunity to speak with the team behind this excellent mod to get a feel for what the future looks like for DRM Revival and the DRM Modding Team. You can read the brief interview below:

DRM Modding Team Interview

RD: The DRM Revival Mod has been in the making for AC for quite some time now. I understand you have had some issues along the way that may account for the delay in release. Can you explain what the team have gone through to get to this point?

DRM: We underestimated the project, it became more and more work.

When we have converted the first cars and they were in-game, we saw that the quality no longer corresponds to our requirements.

We had to revise many cars and details, some of the 3d models we had to improve. At the beginning the constant o Corsa forced us to make corrections over and over again.

Our growing experience of the Assetto Corsa engine and the fmod constantly improved the MOD. Hardware issues, frustration and "german accurancy" often led to delays and discussion topics in the team.

Today the problems are forgotten, we are in the slipstream and turn onto the start-finish straight.

RD: On the subject of the mod, which cars are likely to appear at release date?

DRM
: We decided not to use real names. There will be a total of 10 cars, plus 7 variations. They differ in the 3D model, such as rims, wings, bodywork as well as in sound and physics.

RD: Are these cars from a particular season or era, and what inspired you to create these for Assetto Corsa?

DRM
: The cars drove the space of time from 1976 to 1981 in the German racing sport mastery "Deutschen Rennsport Meisterschaft", as well as in the American IMSA series.

Assetto Corsa was the only existing engine that corresponds to our expectations of the implementing of the cars.

RD: DRM is obviously close to your hearts, however how difficult have you found the quest for data from the series and how close are the cars, in your opinion, to the real series?

DRM: It was pure horror to find data from the cars. In some cases, the cars were never in identical condition from race to race, constantly in further development.

Technical suspension data are almost impossible to find, many of the information are questionable.

After 10 years of research, we have gained a great deal of knowledge about the cars. In addition we got in touch with some of the teams which drove at this time and so we were able to get important data like the aerodynamics, transmission, G-forces and much more.

How close are the cars to reality? It is difficult to answer and find a comparison. All cars in historic racing sport nowadays are no longer in the same configuration as at the 70’s, as for example the tires, the performance, the boost pressure or the willingness to go to the limit of the car.

Thus, the lap times today are difficult to compare with those of that time.

That's our problem, but I think our interpretation of the "Deutsche Rennsport Meisterschaft" is well implemented in our opinion.

If we take the current lap times of the cars in Laguna Seca, for example, we are in the range of +/- 1 sec, the cornering speeds are right, the braking points ok, it seems very consistent.

RD: When we last spoke you mentioned the actual delivery method of the mod was still under discussion (part free, part paid). Have you decided now how you will release the mod and when it might be available?

DRM
: Oh yes, the discussion opened up our eyes. As announced then, it would be a mistake. It would just be a mess.

We will follow the way as the RSS team has done. The MOD will cost about 15 € for the 17 different cars. There will be fictitious skins with fictitious names, done.Later the community can paint the liveries with the templates.

The question when we will release?

I can’t answer, but I'm sure we will not finish it before the end of March.

RD: What sort of liveries will be available when it releases?

DRM
: Paintings, logos, brands and names, everything will be fictitious. Unfortunately we have to go this way.

RD: Will each car have its own physics sets, and will you also consider releasing an BOP'd version for league racing?

DRM
: Each car has its own physics. On a well chosen track, a low-powered car can beat a high-powered car. The racing duration, fuel consumption and tire wear are important factors.

No, we will not release a BOP version. We leave it to the leagues, as the choice of the right track, the race length and the possible placement weights.

RD: Can you and the team share any particular story from the creation of the mod that makes you most proud / happy / surprised during its creation?

DRM:
We were surprised and a little bit proud, when we were asked by a team from the historic motorsport, what damper and suspension parameters we use in our car.

With our adjustment, the newly built car later went well on the racing track.

RD: We've already discussed the contents of the initial release, do you plan on adding more / different cars / versions over time?

DRM
: Should we encounter approval from the community with the MOD, we will release two more planned vehicles.

RD: Once DRM Revival is complete and any additional updates / fixes / content have been released, what next for the team? Is that the end of the road, or can we expect more content to come in future (a different series or era perhaps?).

DRM
: The modding takes such a long time, which none of us can only dabble in. I think we'll develop one or two things internally and keep on. But whether someone will see a further MOD from us, I cannot answer.

Is there not soon Assetto Corsa 2?

RD: Anything else not covered in the questions above you want to discuss?

DRM
: Ask me again in April!

DRM Revival All Car Test.jpg
DRM Revival All Car Test 2.jpg
DRM Revival All Car Test 3.jpg

Check out the Assetto Corsa Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding the sim. We host quality League and Club Racing events, have a selection of fantastic mods to download and some of the best community conversation. Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to DRM Revival? Which car do you most want to get behind the wheel of? Let us know in the comments section below!

Having now driven a few laps in some cars, I can state that this was $19.01 USD well spent.
The Capri, 935/K3 and Lancia Beta-M are all I've driven to date, but they all require lots of respect...especially the K3.
The Lancia is very 'pointed and peaky' in the midrange power-band.
It feels the most controllable in the overall envelope.
The Capri is just as I remember from the old RFactor days...a turboed monster with not a lot of complaint, that is, until it 'spools' you into a wall if you get complacent.
The K3 is just an outright 'animal'.
It just wants to kill you every chance it gets.
Don't remotely think about doing a fast lap, unless you have three to five laps to heat tires and brakes.
As to the rest of the handling, you really have to monitor turn in speed and timing.
It just wants to under-steer right off the circuit every time, that is...until the tire temps come up.
Once that happens, it's quite rewarding.
It demands extreme patience to resist 'hammering' the throttle on track out.

Last edited:
I love vintage cars and especialy old race cars. For me, it s the spirit of racing, difficulty to control the power and brake you have to manage !
SO, i'm waiting for this MOD for very long time. It s possible to find most of the cars in different (free) mod but many times with poor quality.

So, even if 15€ is a bit expensive, i don't hesitates a second before buying it.

My first impression are in between : The quality of the cars is just amazing. We can see the works of all the team and it s just wonderful. Then, the surprise was the 308GTB, i don't waiting for it and so it s a good surprise.
Then come the test and the (relative) bad feeling :
- as you don't have the license, the name of the cars are just stupide. But i know it s a really problem. It s easy to fix the skin (thanks to the team to share them so quickly ;-) ) and it s easy to change the name in the UI. But in my case, i also need to change it in the car.data, a bit more complex (and long)
- For me, there is too manies cars ! It s a bit weird but too more choice kill the choice ! Having the 935 and the K1 is a good eady but why have 2 versions of this 2 cars. Even if a spend much time testing cars, i don't want to test a car quite similar to another. It s interisting when the cars are really different. In my case, i just delete some of the version to keep only one version of each cars (but i know it s a very personal choice).
- And the worst (in my case) : the efficiency ! The cars are really fun to drive, exactly how i'm expencting (perhaps a bit easy, comparing the GT1 mod for exemple). But i don't succeed to understand how all the cars are slower than the original 935/78 ! Most of the time, tue Kunos cars are a bit slow (911GT1, F40) compared to MOD but here, this is the opposite. It s not a serious issue but it s a bit stuffy. Could you explain that ?

To resume, i m happy whith this MOD and don't have regret to spend 15€ (even if it s a bit expensive).
A big thank to all the team !

- And the worst (in my case) : the efficiency ! The cars are really fun to drive, exactly how i'm expencting (perhaps a bit easy, comparing the GT1 mod for exemple). But i don't succeed to understand how all the cars are slower than the original 935/78 ! Most of the time, tue Kunos cars are a bit slow (911GT1, F40) compared to MOD but here, this is the opposite. It s not a serious issue but it s a bit stuffy. Could you explain that ?

I'm not an expert by any means but that may be because the 935/78 was the final evolution of the 935 platform and considerably more powerful. Yes it was a, uhm... "less lateral" car compared to widebody drm kits but it was hell on loose on the straights.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back