Driving Through The Decades - 70 Years of F1 - 1986 Custom Championship

Career Driving Through The Decades - 70 Years of F1 - 1986 Custom Championship 1.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
Cozy61 submitted a new resource:

Driving Through The Decades - 70 Years of F1 - 1986 Custom Championship - 1986, 70, years, assetto, corsa, career, championship, cozy61, formula, one

70 Years of Formula One Mod 1986
(Career to follow)

View attachment 423520

1986 (Freemium)

View attachment 423519View attachment 423518

Requires:

Read more about this resource...

This is absolutely mind blowingly nice to play. I'm forever appreciated. I'm completely hooked on this mod.

However... I'm a decent, experienced sim racer. Not the greatest but I can make decent laps. In this mod I can hotlap Monza in about 1:34 Prost/Rosberg McLaren with turbo boost at 100% and engine limiter at 108 (maximum).

Teo Fabi's pole time in 1986 GP was 1:24:078 so I'm about 10 seconds off. Am I missing something from the setups? I know I can suck but not quite THAT much.

Thanks. You have no idea how much I've played this in the last months.

This is absolutely mind blowingly nice to play. I'm forever appreciated. I'm completely hooked on this mod.

However... I'm a decent, experienced sim racer. Not the greatest but I can make decent laps. In this mod I can hotlap Monza in about 1:34 Prost/Rosberg McLaren with turbo boost at 100% and engine limiter at 108 (maximum).

Teo Fabi's pole time in 1986 GP was 1:24:078 so I'm about 10 seconds off. Am I missing something from the setups? I know I can suck but not quite THAT much.

Thanks. You have no idea how much I've played this in the last months.
Hi and thank you- Can you try this with the rainmaker version of the track it may make a difference:

Also here are some links to my videos for updating championships if you don't already know how to do it.
How to Modify without losing your Race Data -
Cloning and amending any Custom Championship using Content Manager -
Guide to Creating a Basic Custom Championship -
Hope that helps
Cozy61

Last edited:
Thanks. I will give it a go later today.

I'm using the 1988 track from the package. I forgot to mention that I also tweaked the gear ratios so the Prost/Rosberg McLaren reaches about 330 km/h on those two long straights. If I'm not mistaken it should be somewhere at 360 km/h at Monza. That might explain the lap times. Maybe I just don't know how to set up the gears correctly.

I believe 1:30 - 1:31 is possible for some alien simracer with my best settings. But never 1:24 unless the top speed can be increased significantly.

Funnily enough I tried it with F2004 and got exactly 1:24 on my first try. It's just the increased traction in these newer F1 cars that make the difference.

But these 1986 cars feel and drive amazing. They're absolutely dangerous monsters and you have to be careful with the turbo kick. That's probably how it should be. The atmosphere, feeling, cars, everything... just unbelievably well made. My brother went absolutely bonkers when he saw this in action.

I've played a lot of F1 mods on rFactor2 but I think AC is the best F1 sim. At least for me it feels the best. The tyres are so "alive", especially on this mod. This is my #1 favorite without a doubt.

Just for the record. Monaco with 1988 track is very accurate. I can lap something like 1:26 in it with 3 liters of fuel, qualifying slicks and tweaked gear ratio. Prost's pole time was 1:23 and I'm sure it's reachable for someone more skilled. That turbo kick is monstrous though. The car gets out of hand immediately with one wrong gas pedal push. I have no idea if it was similar in the genuine cars but if it was, those guys were absolutely insane to drive them. I will train all the tracks properly and then go for the championship. Will report more of the times.

How this amazing mod haven't got any more recognition is beyond me. Best F1 era ever, most powerful cars, craziest drivers. BMW engine got 1400 hp in qualifying. No surprise Fabi took the pole at Monza where the power speaks.

PS: Some actual text layouts would be the icing on the cake. Like this. I think you can do something like this with SimHub.

zAT4xoq.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, ok. In the instructions there is an advice about the career folder so I thought it should be there.

I guess that doesn't have any impact on anything when you play championship?

The 1991 championship mod has this career folder and there is a opponent.ini setting where you can set up the drivers' individual skill level to keep lower level teams qualifying on top. I found that handy.

Are they already set in your mod?

Ah, ok. In the instructions there is an advice about the career folder so I thought it should be there.

I guess that doesn't have any impact on anything when you play championship?

The 1991 championship mod has this career folder and there is a opponent.ini setting where you can set up the drivers' individual skill level to keep lower level teams qualifying on top. I found that handy.

Are they already set in your mod?
Hi, It was so long ago I created this I'm not sure I did - However, you can adjust the ballast and Strength settings in the Grid Preset and then save it to reflect the teams' actual positions at the time - As for the career they are easy enough to create if not a little bit tedious - Have a look at my 1969 Championship/career download as an example - Best of luck with your endeavours

Thanks man. Appreciated.

I know it's a well known AC problem that the cars are super fast in qualifying and lackluster in the races with the same AI skill level setting. However, if I set the skill level to 100 I have no chance to qualify even near the top-10. But in the race I'm doing well. Difficult to find the right balance. But that has nothing to with the mod, it's a general AC problem. It's crazy that there is not a separate AI skill slider for Qualifying and race.

That being said, have had some incredibly satisfying races with this. The cars just feel so good.

Okay. I have no managed to play 4 full seasons of this mod. Yeah I like it, how did you guess? :)

I have set up the championship.champ file so that the results are very realistic. Top drivers get the poles, Prost has won two WDC's, Piquet one and Senna one. Occasional poles for Berger, Alboreto, Rosberg and Fabi but it's mostly just Senna, Mansell, Prost taking them.

Took me a while to figure out how the season behaves. When you do the Content Manager changes to restrictor, ballast, etc. it only affects the 1st race of the championship. Maybe there's something I don't understand but that's how it works.

But when you make the changes _directly_ to championship.champ file and don't touch the CM settings at all, you'll get superb, realistic results all through the season. I mean realistic in the sense that top drivers get the top positions and the slowest drivers aren't overly aggressive and fast when you have to overtake them. The pole times aren't necessarily ultra realistic but the most important thing is to get a proper difficulty level. And without these settings you have guys like Andrea De Cesaris in the pole which was frankly quite stupid.

Like this:
"name": "Alain Prost",
"car": "lotus_98t",
"skin": "01_mclaren",
"aiLevel": 93.0,
"aiAggression": 25.0,
"nationality": "France"

Only on some tracks (mainly Hungaroring and Monaco) ai is too slow and it's too fast on Hockenheim.

Other than that the results have been great and quite realistic and made my seasons very, very enjoyable and challenging. In my last season I drove Rosberg/McLaren. Took 3 poles with turbo set at 100% (Spa, Paul Ricard, Jerez) and 2 wins (Monaco, Detroit) but in other races my starting grid was between 2-6 (most of the time) and I got 4th in the Championship. In some races I played with the turbo at 80% and my engine blew at Imola but lasted well in Interlagos. What an amazing experience!

Is it ok for me to share my settings here or is someone even interested in these files?

Last edited:
Okay. I have no managed to play 4 full seasons of this mod. Yeah I like it, how did you guess? :)

I have set up the championship.champ file so that the results are very realistic. Top drivers get the poles, Prost has won two WDC's, Piquet one and Senna one. Occasional poles for Berger, Alboreto, Rosberg and Fabi but it's mostly just Senna, Mansell, Prost taking them.

Took me a while to figure out how the season behaves. When you do the Content Manager changes to restrictor, ballast, etc. it only affects the 1st race of the championship. Maybe there's something I don't understand but that's how it works.

But when you make the changes _directly_ to championship.champ file and don't touch the CM settings at all, you'll get superb, realistic results all through the season. I mean realistic in the sense that top drivers get the top positions and the slowest drivers aren't overly aggressive and fast when you have to overtake them. The pole times aren't necessarily ultra realistic but the most important thing is to get a proper difficulty level. And without these settings you have guys like Andrea De Cesaris in the pole which was frankly quite stupid.

Like this:
"name": "Alain Prost",
"car": "lotus_98t",
"skin": "01_mclaren",
"aiLevel": 93.0,
"aiAggression": 25.0,
"nationality": "France"

Only on some tracks (mainly Hungaroring and Monaco) ai is too slow and it's too fast on Hockenheim.

Other than that the results have been great and quite realistic and made my seasons very, very enjoyable and challenging. In my last season I drove Rosberg/McLaren. Took 3 poles with turbo set at 100% (Spa, Paul Ricard, Jerez) and 2 wins (Monaco, Detroit) but in other races my starting grid was between 2-6 (most of the time) and I got 4th in the Championship. In some races I played with the turbo at 80% and my engine blew at Imola but lasted well in Interlagos. What an amazing experience!

Is it ok for me to share my settings here or is someone even interested in these files?
Share away that's what we are all about

Thanks. Here you go.

There's instructions txt file inside for people who are not familiar with the championship system.

Aggression is set to 20-25 only for the top drivers. And the slowest drivers can be a bit slow but not so slow that they become backmarkers in 10-15 laps races.

I set their aggression low because otherwise they constantly push you out of the track when they're on their slow lap and you're trying to get good QF times.

Is there a way to edit the individual tracks' AI skill level? Hungaroring especially. The cars are super slow there. And on Hockenheim they're so fast that you have no chance to get into the top-15 QF even with perfect lap and turbo at 100%? Most tracks are fine though. It's just this mod with the Hockenheim. The ai level was fine on the 1991 mod.

And Cozy61: Thank you once again for this masterpiece. Best gaming I've ever had.

Last edited:
I found out that Hockenheimring isn't too fast. Qualified 3rd. I just sucked before. and learned how that track is supposed to be driven. Hungaroring is the only bad ai track as the ai is way too slow. Other than that, the championship works really well and is challenging and very enjoyable with the settings I shared.

PS: Nevermind. Figured out the turbo settings. Awesome.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 349 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing