Driving School

Is the Driving School pretty good? I'm thinking about buying GTR 2 primarily for the driving school, but want to ensure that mode is actually decent and will teach me some things.

Thanks!

Yes and no.
The Driving School lessons aren't all that great to be honest.
But the Track Coaching is pretty good.
Having said that though, get GTR2 anyway. It is by far the best bang for your buck you will ever see in sim-racing.
I still play it to death using either the GTR Reborn or the NAGP mods, and I'm still loving it despite the rather advanced age of it.

If you don't know what the fastest way around a corner is, or you are just a complete n00b to sim racing, then the driving school is worth something. If you can go around the track at a decent pace already, i.e. less than 5 seconds off the pace, then it's not gonna help you much.

Track-coaching basically takes a track, and breaks it down into 5 sections, showing you the quickest line through each and what to watch out for.
Pretty good if you're unfamiliar with a specific track.

Thanks for the inputs. I'm not a completely newb to sim racing; however, I tend to miss apexes a lot because my skills aren't quite up to snuff yet. I'll probably pick up the game for the school, track coaching, and the praise I've seen for the game on these forums.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the inputs. I'm not a completely newb to sim racing; however, I tend to miss apexes a lot because my skills aren't quite up to snuff yet. I'll probably pick up the game for the school, track coaching, and the praise I've seen for the game on these forums.

Thanks again!

Then it might help you if you really concentrate on accuracy. So it can't hurt to give it a go.

With hitting the apexes, there is a saying when shooting, "Aim small and miss small", in other words watch the apex and aim at a point on it so you hit it exactly, the more you concentrate the better you will get. If your overshooting them your too fast.

After playing the Race Driver games back in the day I used to roar up to corners then slam on the brakes then try and roar off again, in GTR2 if you do that the other cars will leave you in their dust, you have to slow down before the corner, then accelerate through the corner and don't give it full throttle until you can leave it there without letting off again until the next corner, think smooth not fast.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 327 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 218 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 283 13.4%