Driving Realism of AC vs iRacing:

I’ve been spending more time with AC as I wait for Project Cars to release. The other reason is because I bought myself a Fanatec Clubsport pedal set. I am really digging AC for a host of reasons, including the driving models and the feel of the cars on the road. (AkA, Realism).

Currently iRacing has discounted deals of 50% on all its membership packages. I started filling out the online form for membership when it hit me… Assoetta is pretty freaking good; and hummm… is AC as good as iRacing.

So, this is my question. Is AC as realistic as iRacing says it is? Are any of you using both and can you comment on the driving realism with both?

AHAHAHAH!! I don't want a fight with you kid (and you'll be probably using cheats :p ), not everything in life is solved with a fight, stay cool and relax, i thought you've learned something from AC forums time ;)

At this point i agree with you :)
Dont want race with me cause thinking i will use cheat ?? Meaning there lot of cheats can be use in AC MP ?? Ok Thats good to know.

But dont worry I do have another solution. Give me your best combo result in RSR or Rivali, lets see how slow my arcade time compare to you. I dont think i can use cheat in RSR or Rivali .. other than the clutch assist for my DFGT wheel.

And if you still refuse to accept my challenge then pls .. show your respect to all the arcade & simcade racer;

Am sorry am not interested to start a fight but pls, sim racer is just another type of racer, but this "I am sim racer" thing doesnt automatically mean you(s) are better than simcade or arcade racer, as a matter of fact many sim racer actually drive / race like ****.

Finally, if you want people keep cool & relax then you should not insulting them in the first place. In fact people like you(s) is the main reason i losing interested to go all the sim forum ..

Thank you.

He dont want to accept a private head to head MP with me & i not interested to change my nick name for the club race so what to do .. nvm i actually know the outcome simply because am not a slow arcade kid. I asking for some so call arcade feature before but thats doesnt mean i slow or stupid.

Its ok .. just forget it. This thing stop here. Just continue the thread about this AC vs Iracing realism thing. Consider me as some kind of an entertainer if you dont mind :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
@LazyBug i have a life and i work, i don't have time to spend in hundreds of hours hotlapping or fighting a kid and i don't see any purpose on that challenge kind of "my dick is bigger than yours"...

Happy new year :)
So if a sim racer need to spend hundred of hours just to beat an arcade kid then he/she should not talk like that just now.

Anyway thank you. Happy new year 2015 too. I suggest we should end this topic. Dont worry, i sure your dick must be bigger because am an asian. I wont challenge you on that :roflmao:

So if a sim racer need to spend hundred of hours just to beat an arcade kid then he/she should not talk like that just now.

Anyway thank you. Happy new year 2015 too. I suggest we should end this topic. Dont worry, i sure your dick must be bigger because am an asian. I wont challenge you on that :roflmao:

Just to end: Simracer is someone who looks for realism in a "racing software", not a guy who is very fast or an alien.

Cheers.

In my channel there is more F40 drifting videos, as well as Mp4-12c and LaFerrari.
*All those videos are form old builds, after 1.0 with the new ffb and tire physics, drifting has become even more awesome.
Agree, little drifts are easy to do now with the new tire model of AC 1.0 'final'. Which makes the sim even more feel more immersive or less diving like a robot (like in Iracing).

--

Personally I always liked how kind of fine-detailed the cars look in IR and racing with them online appeared like driving against somooth-moving real cars (graphically and ' feel).
That should not mean, the cars look less good in AC though.

The tracks are good enough in AC, as long as they look like SPA. The view one of the TVcams provide on top of eau rouge over the scenery is showing enough tracksinde objects detail.
The only track that I was a bit dissaponted at first was Monza, it looks a bit dark (track textures). But maybe it kinda is like that in real world too.
-The tracks in IR 'only' look so fine, because devs spend a lot of time to get the colors (every single bit of them) appear 100% real. The colors of the textures look insanely real in IR (can get 'boring' though also maybe, this 'too real' look). AC sometimes goes an other way. I think that's a thing only IR's track devs can do, noone will 'ever' be able to copy that ;).

What (only) has to be improved is a tiny thing (in AC): This invisible wall (border) of high quality to lower quality textures (or else) appearing 40m aside (or a bit less than 40m) in front of you (you can see it on many "certain" trackside objects, like tribunes, side rails,..) when driving, makes look the experience appear 'cheaper' than it has to be when driving. No matter what graphic quality you set, it's always there (so far).

I'm not complaining about the texture quality beyond that 40m point, but about this unreal wall/border itself.., nothing more. There just should not be any border, switching textures (or else) 40m in front of you.
-
For the cars in replay (when car's polygon level switches from high<->lower) it doesn't matter much for me. That's already done in a quite non - pronounced way, so I can oversee it atm. .

Last edited:
So my 2 cents about the topic, AC and IRacing offer 2 different experience, both are very high level SIM, representing the state of the art in racing simulation, I tried both and AC is my choice. But I can understand why some one else would prefer IRacing.
At the end of the day I suggest that every one should try both and decide where they want to spend their time.

So my 2 cents about the topic, AC and IRacing offer 2 different experience, both are very high level SIM, representing the state of the art in racing simulation, I tried both and AC is my choice. But I can understand why some one else would prefer IRacing.
At the end of the day I suggest that every one should try both and decide where they want to spend their time.
And/or a bunch of money ;)

Now that I've run AC for a while, I can't touch iRacing. iRacing doesn't simulate suspension or slip angle properly. In AC, you can feel the suspension load up, so when you trail brake, you must steer to accomodate, whey you hit a bump, you must steer to accomodate, throttle, brake, anything that shifts the weight of the car causes a need for steering input. iRacing has been focusing on their tire model so long, but they'll never achieve realism like AC if they don't add a suspension model and some at speed slip angle. Also, in iRacing, grip seems to be binary, it's either on or off. With AC, grip is gradual.

Also, in iRacing, grip seems to be binary, it's either on or off. With AC, grip is gradual.

That true in iRacing when you turn plenty of grip 3 meter after the rear slide a bit, at this point I'm not aware that the rear has start to slide, then it slide a bit further, then I realized but impossible to catch at this point.

At this point I'm just waiting to see a DD wheel can/will change my opinion

Found 3 months free subscription of iracing just to test it for myself. After several races and counless laps, AC is much more fun and exciting to drive than IR. It is harder to correct slides on IR compared to AC. If im going to spend time sim driving, its gona be on AC. iRacing Uninstalled. :)

Regarding the thread question of driving realism, realism depends on many factors, both regarding the game and one's sim hardware.

Based on FFB alone, AC wins the toss, since most sim drivers will experience game realism through their wheel only. If you're lucky and use a program like Fanaleds, you can customize your settings to get pedal rumble and some mild effects which provide the driver with two zones relaying motion/vibration. This "wheel and pedals" camp constitutes the bulk of sim drivers, and it is here AC beats out everyone in the digital driving experience. And I do mean EVERYONE.

But bring in aspects like sim-vibe or buttkicker enhanced rigs, entry level/home made motion rigs, even professional level motor driven sim chairs, AC looses some ground. Again, Kunos' game always wins in the FFB department...but driving isn't about how the car feels in your hands. It's also about how it makes your entire body react (no pun intended! :giggle::poop:). Some people like prominent YouTuber EmptyBox constantly complain about AC being "unpredictable, overly grippy, and unnatural for the driver's other senses." I have found previous physics models from Kunos Simulazioni to be a bit too easy to drive/anticipate in performance situations. Kunos seem to have corrected these problems a great deal with 3 major updates to the tyre model and physics model of their game to the general praise of forum users.

Do I believe Assetto Corsa has the best physics model of any simulator? Depends. If you own [insert generic wheel and/or pedal set here] the answer is yes. But if you own an entry grade sim package, or a motion rig and custom peripheral hardware like seq shifters, DSD control boxes, etc., AC is only a top contender. In fact, in the price point of 30 - 100 $., AC and every other game can only ever be "top contenders." Why? Because when you think about it, the truest way to accomplish real driving physics digitally is to replicate an extremely limited number of cars, maybe 1 - 3, in every possible way for a LOT more money. To do the tyre model any justice alone should cost the user AC's list price alone, not counting the steering model, FFB model, suspension model, etc.

If each of these "physics phactors" (haha) were given independent attention in a new simulator--let's call it Wild About Driving--the game would be more tool than toy. It would also pack a casual-gamer-slaying price of more than a few $$$. Perhaps worst of all, Wild About Driving would require users to own a LOT of driving-specific hardware beyond a generic wheel and pedals. I'm talking about shifters that deliver accurate gear shifts, pedals that require the same pressure to brake and heel-toe brake as in real life, wheels that require the amount of arm strength to turn the wheel of a specific class of car, etc. Those things would leave most of us deep in debt--but without a doubt closer to what real performance driving is like.

In this, it is up to the gamer to decide if AC is a miracle or devil in disguise. Some berate AC without any good sense, and I disagree with all claims against Kunos' product for this reason alone: AC has brought very realistic effects to the most people, period. If you like driving and own a good wheel, AC will bring you the best experience among them all. iRacing can't do it; ProjectCars can't do it--hell none of them can. Kunos knows their market, knows how to deliver just enough physics to fool those of us who don't know a damn thing about performance driving into thinking we really can drive--that might seem like defrauding your client base, but to me I think it was the smartest move a gaming studio has made. If John Q Public were to experience performance driving as it really is, most of us would probably quit being fans because it is very difficult, not so much fun. Just talk to any real driver worth their salt. Kunos has captured all the fun of driving without the bad, and given a good physics model to us to enjoy without very much stress...things which other games struggle to do. Just peruse the iRacing forums...2 topics dominate: how to drive at all, and why AC is so popular ;)

Last edited:
I actually feel that iRacing is more alive than Assetto Corsa.. The tracks doesn't have the same fancy graphics, but it's brighter, has more alive-like objects and has a better road-texture in my opinion. The ambient sounds in iRacing makes for this feeling as well, with the wind blowing, tire-sound and the commentator giving you information on the run.

The force feedback in Assetto Corsa is more immersive and intense and I like that, but it doesn't give me the correct information like I feel it does in iRacing.. I mean, I can REALLY tell if my car is about to oversteer or understeer in iRacing... That said, I really wish iRacing had as immersive FFB as Assetto Corsa. But in the way I explained above, the FFB in iRacing is better on the crucial parts.

I love both games, but in terms of pure joy alone I feel that Assetto Corsa falls short in the long run, mostly because of the lack of a good multiplayer service and that it can be modded to oblivion... I love the modding community, I really do. You get good quality cars as Lamborgini Miura and Shelby Cobra (now official), but it also somehow destroys the feeling of it being a true and meaningful racing simulator.

I actually feel that iRacing is more alive than Assetto Corsa.. The tracks doesn't have the same fancy graphics, but it's brighter, has more alive-like objects and has a better road-texture in my opinion. The ambient sounds in iRacing makes for this feeling as well, with the wind blowing, tire-sound and the commentator giving you information on the run.

The force feedback in Assetto Corsa is more immersive and intense and I like that, but it doesn't give me the correct information like I feel it does in iRacing.. I mean, I can REALLY tell if my car is about to oversteer or understeer in iRacing... That said, I really wish iRacing had as immersive FFB as Assetto Corsa. But in the way I explained above, the FFB in iRacing is better on the crucial parts.

I love both games, but in terms of pure joy alone I feel that Assetto Corsa falls short in the long run, mostly because of the lack of a good multiplayer service and that it can be modded to oblivion... I love the modding community, I really do. You get good quality cars as Lamborgini Miura and Shelby Cobra (now official), but it also somehow destroys the feeling of it being a true and meaningful racing simulator.
Mmmm...iRacing is getting more alive like AC. iRacing has been around longer, wins that battle, more autos, more tracks, wins that battle...but FFB is crucial, especially on a good wheel, and iRacing has bland FFB. It denotes the physical loss of grip well, but the simulated loss through my wheel has always sucked. Also, the tire model doesn't load right to me, I'm pretty experienced with set-ups on some of the GT cars, and nothing makes it feel active to me. I feel like I'm driving something almost alive, not quite.

The commentator...oh god don't get me started. Such a gimmick.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back