Driving Realism of AC vs iRacing:

I’ve been spending more time with AC as I wait for Project Cars to release. The other reason is because I bought myself a Fanatec Clubsport pedal set. I am really digging AC for a host of reasons, including the driving models and the feel of the cars on the road. (AkA, Realism).

Currently iRacing has discounted deals of 50% on all its membership packages. I started filling out the online form for membership when it hit me… Assoetta is pretty freaking good; and hummm… is AC as good as iRacing.

So, this is my question. Is AC as realistic as iRacing says it is? Are any of you using both and can you comment on the driving realism with both?

Some time ago I saw a video on the process that IR uses to capture the information on the tracks they provide on the service. The video was shown on Inside Sim Racing. IR laser scans tracks. The result is a virtual track that captures all the perfection and imperfections of the actual track surface in addition to the trackside details.

I agree that AC is addicting. In AC, I can drive a crazy powerful 800 HP GT3 car and keep it on the track. Can I set inside a real 800 HP GT3 car and keep it on the track? Without training, Hell NO!

In IR, I cannot keep a GT3 car on the road for long. I don’t know, but in that regard, the ability for an untrained person to drive a high performance race car seems true to life. I plan to buy one of the other GT level cars and see if I can drive it. But I cannot drive the free ones that come with IR. BTY, I am a Mazda MX5 Rookie level IR driver, and I only just getting fast with that car.

mod-edit: consolidated for you, please keep the forum tidy
Have you driven 800 BHP GT3 in real life and crashed?

For me it´s the total opposite. The number of times I killed myself and the car trying a new car in simracing. Regardless of sim.

I totally lack the respect that if I go over the limit here I will die and the lack of speed sensation and lack of proper depth vision make it harder to judge distances then IRL also.

For me it would be way easier to go in the real deal and survive as my survival instincts would make it so much harder trying to really get close to what I feel is the limit. And I am aided by G-forces as well which can do nothing but help.

Modern race cars aren´t built to be unmanagable. Clutch micro is not as bad as it used to be and we have TC and all kind of help too.

In terms of competition, racing and overall multiplayer structure nothing can beat iRacing. But in my view that is the only thing iRacing is(far) ahead of the competition.

The physics to me are terrible, they force you to drive like a robot. It just feels lifeless and detached from the track.

In AC the immerison is much higher however the way FFB works it does seem like there's a bit of lagg the way the info is delivered thru you wheel.

First thing i actually like to know is that how to initial the slide ?? Just turn and wheel with enough speed and the car will slide itself or need to tap on brake while turning or what ?? Thanks first

The LaFerrari's really easy to slide like that - pick hypercar street tires, set TC to 4 (I assume this is 'silly-race-mode') and give it a little throttle during the corner, it behaves just like the video. Same for MP4-12C - street tires, 'track' mode TC, no problems. The SLS does need traction control turned completely off to get some slides going (not sure why it only has 1 setting), with which it is very easy to spin the rear around.

The F40's naturally trickier due to no ABS/TC, if the guy can't slide those other cars it's probably hopeless. So I can't really match Chris Harris's best corner of an afternoon in one lap, but I can hang the rear end out a bit in the middle of corners with no real fuss.

Last edited:
The LaFerrari's really easy to slide like that - pick hypercar street tires, set TC to 4 (I assume this is 'silly-race-mode') and give it a little throttle during the corner, it behaves just like the video. Same for MP4-12C - street tires, 'track' mode TC, no problems. The SLS does need traction control turned completely off to get some slides going (not sure why it only has 1 setting), with which it is very easy to spin the rear around.

The F40's naturally trickier due to no ABS/TC, if the guy can't slide those other car's it's probably hopeless. So I can't really match Chris Harris's best corner of an afternoon in one lap, but I can hang the rear end out a bit in the middle of corners with no real fuss.
Why don't you make a video prove to that guy he was wrong? i am not good in drifting.

I don't know what to think about "ffb is good, physics are bad"... both games as far as I know use 100% physics-driven ffb, if the car feels wrong it's cause the physics is wrong?
I always thought it was due to the coding of the FFB in the game? I would suspect AC and iRacing guys have excellent tire performance data, but getting it into the game to give informative FFB can be difficult?

Assetto Corsa is what you want if you enjoy an awesome driving experience and like real car behaviour.
( Nice graphics and sounds + great FFB & Roadfeel ) AI drivers are very poor ATM but they are working on it.

iRacing is what you want if you have lots of free time ( and money :roflmao:) to practise ( lots of grinding to level up :p ) and play On-line only (No AI drivers). It feels lifeless and dull to me.
( OK graphics and sounds + OK FFB & Roadfeel )

Project Cars is what you want if you like NFS Shift 1&2.
( Nice graphics and sounds but terrible physics and FFB + Roadfeel ) Not a sim ! Feels very arcade to me. Not released yet but I think it's going to be more like NFS Shift 3.

I have personally played all three and I think Assetto Corsa is the only one that I find hard to turn off.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Pcars = Improve NFS Shift 2 = NFS Shift 3 then i already more than happy with that. Physic not really = everything, at least to me & i enjoy the modded Shift 2 very much.

On the other hand, to me AC is just a simulator which have excellent physic (I not sure about that myself since i dont own any those car in the game) but i dont feel fun to "PLAY" it, Its may be fun or feel real to DRIVE but no fun to PLAY ...

If Pcars = Improve NFS Shift 2 = NFS Shift 3 then i already more than happy with that. Physic not really = everything, at least to me & i enjoy the modded Shift 2 very much.

On the other hand, to me AC is just a simulator which have excellent physic (I not sure about that myself since i dont own any those car in the game) but i dont feel fun to "PLAY" it, Its may be fun or feel real to DRIVE but no fun to PLAY ...

Just curious honest question: why do you post so much here and at official AC forumif you don't enjoy AC?

I dont think i post "so much" .. I already very in-active nowaday compare to the early access time and i hardly log in official AC forum any more for months unless i have question about the apps that i using & need to ask the modder.

But then i dont think i say i dont enjoy AC before .. of course i cant say i enjoy it so much either .. To me its just a "racing game' that have a so call the best physic in the universe but looks like nothing more than that ... You see the game still fail to give me a simple thing like a "Delete" button in setup menu & the game's atmosphere in career mode really make me sleep.

By the way, if you dont mind, i can answer your question in this way too ... many people dont like Messi but they still do talk him alot .. many people dont like Lewis Hamilton but they do talk about him alot .. so what am i done wrong actually ??

I'm not saying you do anything wrong :).

Just surprised to see your name a lot here and also on AC forum.

As an example: I am not interested in rF2/Rrre, and I never post there. So, I just want to understand why people go to forums of games they do 't care about.

Your post didnt really answer my question I think. Gut feeling is that you must like something about AC ;)

Since you say so i really wanna challenge you for a race .. lets see how easy you as a Pro racer can beat me ...
Wanna make it happen ??

AHAHAHAH!! I don't want a fight with you kid (and you'll be probably using cheats :p ), not everything in life is solved with a fight, stay cool and relax, i thought you've learned something from AC forums time ;)

...To me its just a "racing game' that have a so call the best physic in the universe but looks like nothing more than that ... You see the game still fail to give me a simple thing like a "Delete" button in setup menu & the game's atmosphere in career mode really make me sleep.

At this point i agree with you :)

I'm not saying you do anything wrong :).

Just surprised to see your name a lot here and also on AC forum.

As an example: I am not interested in rF2/Rrre, and I never post there. So, I just want to understand why people go to forums of games they do 't care about.

Your post didnt really answer my question I think. Gut feeling is that you must like something about AC ;)
Since when i say i dont like AC ?? Yeah till now i only do around 285hrs for this game but at least i still enjoy hotlapping in this game, what i dislike is their career mode & the AI and other features that i expect it done in v1.0 but its not .. so yes you can say i am complaining about those thing but i nvr say i totally dislike this game.

Like i say if i feel like wanna "Drive" a car as close as possible like real life then for sure i play AC .. but if i want to just race with interesting career mode, very challenging AI (in a good way) & very exciting atmosphere then i believe PCars will be my best choices.

Thats all i mean.

Unless you say this AC discussion forum is only for player to say "Thanks Kunos" thing or else i really dont see why i cant say the bad about this game.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back