News Driver61 brings telemetry analysis to a mainstream ACC audience with Hotlaps.io

I dont know how well acquainted you were with the track/car/setup beforehand, but for me -if I do a combination I’m rusty at, do 4 laps to set a baseline time, I would surely improve seconds just by doing the next 30 laps trying to beat it.

your results might be placebo and you might have ran the same without the telemetry comparison. Hard to know, and I’m sure this will benefit some people. For me, I think my issue is the same as mr Slapped above. Being consistent is far harder to do than a fast lap once in a while. If this tool helps with that, I have no idea

just tried out Z1 and it's great, but there wasn't many fast laps for me to compare with on Zolder. Might have to try a more popular track like spa. Na not that many laps ether, must be more popular with the iRacing crowd.

Perhaps we need to get RD members behind this piece of software and get them to upload their laps. DDF racer did a couple of videos on it.

IMO the mental part in sim racing is much more important.
Using telemetry is just one point in it.

If you are not consistent and can focus all the time, being fast only does not rally help in racing.

What i also find a bit sad is, that this is advertising but others have to buy a vendor membership to be allowed to advertise their product (and this training is also a product) over here at RD.

For me this is some kind of unfair advantage. Same is with hardware reviews that @Paul Jeffrey did here some time in the past. It´s also a sort of advertising.
So for me, where does RD draw the line their?
I still could not force me to buy a vendor membership for my stuff because of this. Just feels not right.

My wife bought me the D61 class for Christmas and I found it to be quite helpful. I've had access to hotlaps.io because I paid to take their classes, which I am finding helpful. However, I also only have so much time to put into this and my baseline is pretty slow.

Using the tool, I went from doing 2:10 at Silverstone to my best lap being 2:00.9. Now I realize that is still fairly slow, but I like being able to compare my lap to a reference lap. To answer Iko Rein's question, I find it helpful to see where the faster guys brake, how they trail-brake, and how they turn-in. I prefer to go off a reference lap rather than being a mobile chicane in a race.

I've also used a coach who has helped me see what I'm doing wrong. Of course, one could come to these conclusions without a coach, but it would take me much longer, so the faster improvement is worth the cost to me. I like looking at the telemetry so I can really see where I'm losing time. I also like the web interface as I can study my telemetry easily from anywhere.

I get no benefit from you using this tool. I just wanted to share my experience. I probably could also do similar things with other tools that are cheaper, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Perhaps we need to get RD members behind this piece of software and get them to upload their laps. DDF racer did a couple of videos on it.

I have been using Z1analyzer for iRacing for a while and just started using it for ACC too. Good piece of software, updates frequently, and the support is great. For people who don't know what to look for in a telemetry trace, the "lap overview" can automatically do some basic analysis, such as where you are missing the apex, where you are significantly slower than the lap you compare to, how fast or slow you are on the straight for aero adjustment, etc. Comes with a decent dashboard app too. Highly recommend it.

I have Motec, Second Monitor and RST telemetry applications. I also bought the book," Making Sense of the Squiggly Lines", which is a tutorial on how to interpret telemetry data. I am now an expert at taking one glance at any of the above mentioned applications after doing laps in any of the sims that I have and determining that I still suck rocks. :whistling:

9793a7601560b6218d0f5e0a1ea1154f.jpg

Hehehe.., that drawing is epic

As a developer of a free/donate-ware Telemetry Tool

I always find it odd people want to look at other drivers' detailed telemetry.

I am 100% sure, the top aliens would never share their best traces with the others, as they see those as their trade secret. In F1 they do all kinds of interesting math to get the traces of other teams' cars from the positional and speed data.

Still one only needs the Speed trace + timediff trace and you are good to go to find all spots, where you are slower or are losing time.

And with my tool, you get the two above traces (+gear) for all your opponents in ACC races. Just join any CP/online race and if you are not an alien, you will get enough material to find out how to make you faster.
View attachment 456093
In the above graph (using my Telemetry Tool) I e.g. found out, when prepping for the RD-GT Silverstone race, that on my fastest lap I am losing e.g. .7 seconds to the fastest quali lap (saved from the qualifier race) from braking point of Abbey to the Loop. From the speed diff graph I could see, that I am breaking bit earlier and from the gear data, that the fastest driver was driving on 5th gear through Abbey. So in my practicing I am now trying to keep the same speeds through Farm to reduce the time/speed deficit.

Of course this doesn't mean that I am now automatically .7 seconds faster, but knowing where to focus your practice or where you can find the time is to me part of the fun.

Sorry for a shameless self-promotion.

Enjoy, and get faster.

As a long time Motec user I still don't understand for what reason someone would pay for a worst featured tool that has not a single killer feature against a profesional tool like motec but paying money for it when motec is totally free. For me is like if in an alternative universe we had full fledged photoshop legaly free and people spent money in a payware gimp.

Last edited:
As a long time Motec user I still don't understand for what reason someone would pay for a worst featured tool that has not a single killer feature against a profesional tool like motec but paying money for it when motec is totally free. For me is like if in an alternative universe we had full fledged photoshop legaly free and people spent money in a payware gimp.
I used to use iSpeed in iRacing, which is similar in concept. To me it was very useful to see where the faster guys braked. how they steered, etc. Once I felt I reached my max, then I used it to check my consistency.

Whatever software is best for this community, it would be nice to compare laps. For most of us, analyzing our own laps in a vacuum is not as useful.

I think the whole eSport thing is bringing in more "shovel sellers" to the sim market. As long as the paid tools are better than the free ones and hopefully provide some special features, there should be market for them. That is one of the reason why I want to keep my tool free/donate-ware to force the paid solutions to be more than glorified spreadsheets with some graphs.

Motec is really great tool. But with it in gaming I have few issues, mainly around missing real-time 'Race Management' tools and the missing support for the other games I play (AMS2, F1 2020, KartKraft and Dirt Rally 2.0). If there would be support for more games + the Motec's race management tool support + the real time race engineer data would be available, I would most likely phase out my own tool development. But Motec's business is not in providing analysis tools, although the price is 2500€/year license to use their data format. Their product is the tools which feed data to the the analysis tools.

To be honest I would love the have support of ATLAS (McLaren's telemetry tool) for the games I play. If I recall correctly, it works with iRacing. Actually some ATLAS screenshots/prints I saw in 2011 gave me the spark to start developing my own Telemetry Tool.

Enjoy, and get faster.

Cheers

Last edited:
I think the whole eSport thing is bringing in more "shovel sellers" to the sim market. As long as the paid tools are better than the free ones and hopefully provide some special features, there should be market for them. That is one of the reason why I want to keep my tool free/donate-ware to force the paid solutions to be more than glorified spreadsheets with some graphs.

Motec is really great tool. But with it in gaming I have few issues, mainly around missing real-time 'Race Management' tools and the missing support for the other games I play (AMS2, F1 2020, KartKraft and Dirt Rally 2.0). If there would be support for more games + the Motec's race management tool support + the real time race engineer data would be available, I would most likely phase out my own tool development. But Motec's business is not in providing analysis tools, although the price is 2500€/year license to use their data format. Their product is the tools which feed data to the the analysis tools.

To be honest I would love the have support of ATLAS (McLaren's telemetry tool) for the games I play. If I recall correctly, it works with iRacing. Actually some ATLAS screenshots/prints I saw in 2011 gave me the spark to start developing my own Telemetry Tool.

Enjoy, and get faster.

Cheers
I missed which tool you are/will be developing. Do you have a link?
I am actually searching for a tool like iSpeed but that spans more sims.
What was really useful about iSpeed was that users could upload their own lap times and one could incrementally better their own times.
I just tested unitedracingdata.com and it seems pretty nice, except that I haven't been able to extract actual lap times from what they call "stints" and until I do, (and do it consistently) it will be limited in use.
I also have Motec, but I never got around to using Atlas, but for me the bottom line is the ability to compare lap times (or averages thereof) among my own laps and/or with other racers. That's when telemetry really comes alive for me. In a vacuum, my own telemetry is not that useful.

I think RD would be the perfect repository for laptimes and I wouldn't mind if the really fast drivers sold their own telemetry, as long as they could add value to it with a video commentary or other similar training.

I'd love to test your tool and learn more about it.
By the way, Driver61 also offers a number of videos, training and other things. The guy is a pro, so I don't mind if he charges for it. The problem with Simracing is that we don't like to spend too much money, as a community, but if he prices it reasonably, I don't mind paying.

Seems similar to VRS I used to use on iRacing. I found that really useful when I was heavily into that game. My sub lapsed to I'm playing other stuff now and it is something I miss on occasion - it's fun to really dig in and try to maximise your potential on a track.

I get that there's free alternatives that do the telemtry, perhaps even better - but I would be tempted to take a look at this due to it giving you a reference lap to work from. To immediately know which corners you are slowest on and have an indication of why is super useful.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%