After something of a long and troubled period of development, fans of sideways action will soon be able to lay their hands on the long awaited DRIFT21 racing simulation.

Initially expected to drop into the Steam store as Drift '19, the simulation has had a bit of a rough time in recent months, before inking a deal to work alongside the high profile 505 Games publisher as they re-branded to DRIFT21 - promising a more complete and fleshed out drifting simulation.

According to ECC Games S.A and 505 Games, the new title will launch into Steam Early Access this May 7th, with additional updates and new features such as new tracks, cars, game modes (including multiplayer) and refining key features based on feedback and suggestions from the community set to take place during the unspecified early access development phase.

At launch DRIFT21 will offer the following:
  • Car tuning garage, over 750 parts and extensive paint shop mode.
  • A practice mode that allows you to practice your drifting skills.
  • More than 20 challenges in various game modes.

DRIFT21 will release on PC Steam Early Access May 7th 2020.

Got questions about the sim? No worries, head over to the Drift 21 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and fire off questions to the community!

DRIFT21_Car_Screenshot_01.jpg
DRIFT21_Garage_Screenshot_01.jpg
DRIFT21_Garage_Screenshot_06.jpg

I am an old fart - when I see someone drifting I think "looks slow" :p

That said, some of those screenshots above have piqued my interest. Specifically, I see a disassembled engine, a car lift, a dyno, some equipment for installing/uninstalling/balancing tires...that's intriguing to me. I have been yearning for some sort of sim that blends the type of gameplay found in "Car Mechanic Simulator" and "Wrench" along with on-track simulation. I think like a "Club Motorsport Simulator 2020" where, in addition to competing your car on track, you would be responsible for making off track tuning and repairs (on a limited budget, of course). Smash into a tire barrier about 50 meters after leaving the pit exit during the first practice session? (and don't try to tell me you haven't done this!) Well, you're done for the weekend and you're going to need to figure out if you've got the cash to get the car back into safe working order.

And again Early Access ... Fu... ^^

I'm waiting for a steam challenge to do 1,000 drifts laps rides without throwing up...

Last edited:
Yea...this looks like a hard pass for me so far; the trailer posted in the previous Drift 19/21 article seems to be all flash and little substance. It's looking almost like a Need for Speed Underground type of deal more than anything else...which isn't a bad thing, just not my thing these days...but I'd love to be surprised...will follow to see what happens.

I'm glad to hear the news. This game has remained in my Steam wishlist for a long time but Reiza 17 (AMS2) released March 2020, so Drift 19 comes May 2020 is early than I expected.

Can't wait test it and I hope that quality of game is decent. I don't care graphics not so much, but If physics side and FFB feel aren't good enough (I hope atleast simcade level) I'll be disappointed.

According to their trailer, cars and track(s) are licensed (Thanks @FeltHat, your sacrifice saved my ears:D) .

タイトルなし.png

NISSAN SILVIA (S15) 1999-2002
SUBARU BRZ 2012-
MAZDA MX-5 (NB) 1998-2005

What a lovely middleaged car lineup...

Well, if they're NOT licensed, based on the screenshots they are going to need to hire some pretty good lawyers with all the money they saved on licensing! :D

How naive I am. I thought licencing is for manufacturers to make sure the simulated version is of a good quality that matches their standards. Not about rich companies making money of poor developers.

I can't find if this is a proper sim or arcade game anywhere because simply the dev can't call himself arcade.

Can you guys tell me if this will be a match for LFS, pC2, AMS or AC...etc? I don't care if the content is much smaller three cars are enough for me. I am asking about its physics and handling.

I thought licencing is for manufacturers to make sure the simulated version is of a good quality that matches their standards.

Need For Speed.

I'd also love to see some cars other than those overused "mainstream models" in racing games... how about a KP21 Starlet? 1985 Fairlady Z? I'm also curious if car models are scratch-made.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing