Drift mode!

I started teaching myself to drift using Assetto Corsa. After figuring out the basics, I tried drift mode and reached level 12 so far with the E30/Drift, and enjoying it hugely!

As someone who has spent many years only trying to lap cleanly and smoothly, it's quite a change. For reference of others, these are a few of the things I was doing wrong and had to force myself to stop doing:
1. If you think you are going to lose the rear end or want to exit the drift, normal driving habit will have you dabbing the brake. DON'T do this, leave the brake alone, it will just cause the front tyres to grip and spear you off into the wall. This is the main reason I was initially unable to exit drifts cleanly and it took me watching replays of myself and Youtube videos of GT5/LFS/AC drifters to realise my mistake.
2. Don't just stab the throttle and hope for the best :) a very slight jab of throttle to get the rear tyres sliding can be followed by a steady 50% throttle to hold the angle, then release very slightly/gradually to straighten the car up.
3. Practice, practice, practice :D

I'm using a G25 with 80% gain & 15% damping in AC (profiler 101% overall, rest zero, 900 degrees). The wheel spins just about fast enough for the drift cars, although I have to help it a bit. I tried 100% gain but found myself fighting the wheel a little more, it felt less easy. Any tips for an ideal setting?

Yeah, they moved it into the Wrong posted setup section. I guess you could find it by Google too. I'm already working on the tutorial videos though.

No luck, Google or otherwise. Any chance of a repost?

Been tweaking between AC settings and my CSR settings over the past few days, can't pull anything out that isn't mushy/understeer/deadzoned like mad. My AC setup technically should be legit, but who knows - popping in a known good setup would hopefully help me figure it out.

As someone who has spent many years only trying to lap cleanly and smoothly, it's quite a change.

Heeeeey, we lap cleanly and very smoothly! :O_o:

Great post! There's a massive divide normally between the drift and grip community. While there are many reasons for this, a large part of it is the initial learning curve for drift. Grip, you can jump in as fresh meat, drive terribly, and still have fun and feel like you've accomplished something without really knowing any better. Over time, you learn the skills. Drift, there's very little payoff for a bit.

Hopefully some multiplayer options will pop up where we can get some tandems in - that's where it gets really fun. It's freeing to be able to push proximity without worrying about having to apologize for months for what you just did to a guy's door/wheel/rear end :)

Well, that's the nature of both sections. Racing is more forgiving for mistakes, if you do them OFFLINE. Else, I recommend staying away from servers until getting it right. Drifting is the opposite. I think fooling around on servers and spinning a few times isn't the end of the world. Missing the braking point by 200 meters at the back of the field will be a harsh outcome.

Drifting is difficult. Really difficult. We're not in Need For Speed land, anymore... :)

About the drift challenges - anyone manage to do those? For me, reaching 50k+ points with a 458 at Silverstone seems like a challenge introduced to cause people to shoot their brains out. ;)

Drifting is difficult. Really difficult. We're not in Need For Speed land, anymore... :)

About the drift challenges - anyone manage to do those? For me, reaching 50k+ points with a 458 at Silverstone seems like a challenge introduced to cause people to shoot their brains out. ;)
lol :) I have to say this: after setting the "max prerendered frames" thingie to "1" in nvidia ctrl panel drifting just became manageable and really not that difficult anymore (with G27). Don`t forget: you can always just practice on the drift track for instance till you got it figured out ;)

Less latency and it reacts much better and quicker for counter-steering. Feels a LOT more natural now.

Yeah, I looked it up to get more info and it might help if there is performance issues. :)

From tweakguides:

Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames: If available, this option - previously known as 'Max Frames to Render Ahead' - controls the number of frames the CPU prepares in advanced of being rendered by the GPU. The default value is 3 - higher values tend to result in smoother but more laggy gameplay, while lower values can help reduce mouse and keyboard lag. However extremely low values such as 0 may hurt performance, so I recommend this option be kept at its default of 3 globally, and only adjusted downwards in specific game profiles. Remember, in most cases mouse lag is due to low framerates, so adjusting this option is not an automatic cure to lag issues, nor should it be the first thing you try. Finally, it only works in DirectX games, not OpenGL games.

drifting isnt hard. staying alive through the drift is, but drifting itself is as easy as going around a corner.
Take a corner normally, like you would any other time, just as you start entering the corner, give it a little extra push on the throttle, the back end will step out right away. Hey you just drifted!!! Keeping the throttle on (not full, just on) will keep the car drifting around the corner. If its drifting to much and looks like it might spin, let off the gas a little bit, if its not drifting enough, give it a bit more gas.. Thats it...

Its not about going into the corner at 90mph and throwing it sideways its about having the back end step out further than the front, so the car "crabs " sideways slightly around the corner.

I have to say this: after setting the "max prerendered frames" thingie to "1" in nvidia ctrl panel drifting just became manageable

I'll try that in desperation! :) However, I don't anticipate it being because of my rig (I7 @ 3.8 GHz with SLI Titans), I'm thinking it is a driver issue... :/ Nevertheless, I think I'll give it a try, even though that will potentially ruin a good excuse for me. :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back