AMS2 DPi Sprints @Hockenheim - Thursday November 10

Automobilista 2 Racing Club event
I don't want to be appear like a negative ninny, but I do feel like multi-class is something for endurance length races with a healthy turnout. I know it's nice having something a 'bit different', but anything that impacts 'close racing' seems to always have a negative effect on the overall racing for me that needs to be well justified with a decent positive. The large disparity in speed can also be a steep learning curve for anyone unfamiliar with it.
Your view is highly appreciated. I also agree on it. I do like close racing and dont see the endurance as a danger to push away sprint races. I would like to offer is as a additional option. I see potential for attracting racers that dont join us now, and like to offer a totally different experiance then the one that we have now. Not better, different. In my experience (average speed simracer) endurance races can be very rewarding. Racecraft, concistency and prqctice can help you win duels. They can be on cars in direct proximity or just on the clock (passing start finish, 3 cars in pits and you rise on the ladder). Advantage of MC is that there will always be action, even is your closest oponent is 30sec steady away from you. And letting the faster class pass smart, can also gain cricial seconds. I like it, although its also a great challenge for me. Keeping my concentration that long is a hard job . BUT… most agree. We need a grid of 25 or more cars to fully enjoy this setup.
I will have a hard thought about the next attempt. Keep your opionions comming guys

endurance races can be very rewarding. Racecraft, concistency and prqctice can help you win duels
Totally agree. I started properly racing at RD in the AC Sunday events which were not advertised as endurance, but still 60 minutes in length. It was an eye opener for sure, but I quickly learnt to be consistent and I still remember the first race when I had no mistakes! I also remember the first race when I wasn't lapped :D

Just want to be clear though, I'm not trying to put a downer on multi-class, just that I feel it doesn't really shine in sprint races

Great first guideline for future endurance racing. First comments I have are:

• Reworked on the textual part to reduce number of grammar and spelling mistakes (Tried to sent to you a direct message, but didn't allow more than 240 characters... :p, spacing is probably not 100%, but I copied it in from a different editor).
  • As, I think, we are trying to grow the AMS2 community in RD, we need to make sure we take small steps. Meaning endurance is a great initiative, but already something new (and challenging). I would propose to go for fixed setups in the first competition, to make sure easy entry for newcomers. I know from myself and others, that this often puts an additional barrier for newcomers to sign in.
  • I would expect that people signing up for a Endurance race, have been practicing already. So I would personally skip the practice session in order to save some time
  • A UTC time of 20:00 is quite late for Central European people, so I would propose to move this to 19:30, making it 20:30 CET time. Qualifying session + break + race will give a finishing time of 21:35 (22:35 CET) if everything goes smooth (which is often not...).
  • Finishing race of 2,4 hours is great, but again in this case I would move the starting time even more to the front (additional 30 minutes) in order to make it more balanced.
  • Finishing the race of 2.4 hours should be awarded with double points.
  • I would propose one car for the whole season to make it a nice competition between the drivers and the 2 classes.
  • Don’t change the weather conditions (at least no rain, in order to avoid performance issues for the VR racers), especially if the starting grid will be indeed significant.
  • Nothing is mentioned on damage. I would propose to have visual damage only and put mechanical damage off to avoid disappointment after 85 minutes of intense racing.
Like I said, just my comments, probably other think about this in a different way. Just wanted to vent my view on this great initiative.

I will skip either a Tuesday or Thursday to enter this event as I don't have the time, nor the ambition to do 3 race evenings during the work week.

///////
Let’s introduce the Racing Club Endurance series.

The series will consist of 6 events on a bi-weekly schedule. The series are planned on the Wednesdays, starting XXXXXX the XX.
In a combined DPi and GTE field, we will be racing some of the most Iconic tracks in the world. The 5 first races will consist of 90 minutes races with time acceleration to mimic a 6 or 9 hour endurance race. These will be solo races, no driver swaps. The last race of the season will be the virtual 24 hour of Spa. In a 2.4 hour race with 10X time acceleration, you will be virtually racing a 24 hour race.

All events will have real weather option enabled and accelerated tire degradation, so prepare for pitstops and wet races.

The racing grid will consist on 15 DPi and 15 GTE cars. You will be assigned a car class based on first come, first served. You will not be allowed to swap class on entering the race. Doing so will get you expelled from next 2 races. Points will be given per race, per class and manual administrated by race control.

The series schedule:

* We will mimic the timeline in event naming while racing, but in a shorter time. The race column shows actual duration of the event. By time acceleration you will experience the real event timeline. (2,4h X 10 = 24h)

Qualifying

Both classes have their own timeslot in qualifying session. GTE will qualify in first 15 minutes, DPI in the last 15 minutes. Failure to comply to this rules can get you expelled from the next race. Make sure to oblige. You can ruin other drivers hot lap and consequently the fun of racing. And we all started for racing fun in the beginning, right?

• If you are on hot lap. Your headlights are ON. When on an out or in lap, your headlights are OFF.
• If you are on an out lap and a faster car is approaching: get off the racing line. The sooner he passes you, the better you can focus again on your preparation for the hot lap. Be predictable!
• You are not allowed to pass cars that are on a hot lap (Lights are on, pushing on the racing line) .
• If you are on your out lap or made a driving error in your hot lap, let the others pass safely and without disrupting their lane if possible.

Race

Race strategy is free, there are no mandatory pitstops. Since this is a multiclass race, we expect you to follow blue flags and let the faster cars pass whenever possible. It is the responsibility of faster cars to safely overtake slower cars. When a faster car is overtaking a car from a different class, whether a blue flag is being shown to the slower car or not, the slower car should be predictable and remain on the racing line. The faster car should execute the overtake only when it is safe to do so. If a faster car is lapping another car in the same class then the same rule applies; some cooperation may be required to facilitate the overtake. Please be sensible.

All of the standard Racing Club Rules still apply to this event.

You do not need to nominate which car you will drive, but should specify in which class you would like to drive when signing up.

Remember to:
• Go to toilet before the race, it is a long ride
• Drink during the race
• Setup buttons for Lights, TC, ABS, Brake Balance and windscreen wipers
• Setup your wheel, button box or keyboard to make strategy changes as easy as possible. Make sure you can keep your eyes on the road while doing that
• Do some test with pitstops and make sure you selected the right strategy before entering race. It’s very frustrated to nail the strategy but ruin it with a drive through penalty

• Drive safe. The race is long and can’t be won in lap 1. So, relax, be consistent and predictable for the other racers.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first race here should finish 5 mins before the warmup, so I'm going to try and take part here and skip qualy (I'm fairly sure I'll be near the back anyway!)
That's too fine a margin for me. Those rF2 Grp Cs are animals and every lap of practice I can get is needed. I've also adjusted the time to show a 10 minute qualy rather than the 20 minutes of the dual class structure.

Great first guideline for future endurance racing. First comments I have are:

• Reworked on the textual part to reduce number of grammar and spelling mistakes (Tried to sent to you a direct message, but didn't allow more than 240 characters... :p, spacing is probably not 100%, but I copied it in from a different editor).
  • As, I think, we are trying to grow the AMS2 community in RD, we need to make sure we take small steps. Meaning endurance is a great initiative, but already something new (and challenging). I would propose to go for fixed setups in the first competition, to make sure easy entry for newcomers. I know from myself and others, that this often puts an additional barrier for newcomers to sign in.
  • I would expect that people signing up for a Endurance race, have been practicing already. So I would personally skip the practice session in order to save some time
  • A UTC time of 20:00 is quite late for Central European people, so I would propose to move this to 19:30, making it 20:30 CET time. Qualifying session + break + race will give a finishing time of 21:35 (22:35 CET) if everything goes smooth (which is often not...).
  • Finishing race of 2,4 hours is great, but again in this case I would move the starting time even more to the front (additional 30 minutes) in order to make it more balanced.
  • Finishing the race of 2.4 hours should be awarded with double points.
  • I would propose one car for the whole season to make it a nice competition between the drivers and the 2 classes.
  • Don’t change the weather conditions (at least no rain, in order to avoid performance issues for the VR racers), especially if the starting grid will be indeed significant.
  • Nothing is mentioned on damage. I would propose to have visual damage only and put mechanical damage off to avoid disappointment after 85 minutes of intense racing.
Like I said, just my comments, probably other think about this in a different way. Just wanted to vent my view on this great initiative.

I will skip either a Tuesday or Thursday to enter this event as I don't have the time, nor the ambition to do 3 race evenings during the work week.

///////
Let’s introduce the Racing Club Endurance series.

The series will consist of 6 events on a bi-weekly schedule. The series are planned on the Wednesdays, starting XXXXXX the XX.
In a combined DPi and GTE field, we will be racing some of the most Iconic tracks in the world. The 5 first races will consist of 90 minutes races with time acceleration to mimic a 6 or 9 hour endurance race. These will be solo races, no driver swaps. The last race of the season will be the virtual 24 hour of Spa. In a 2.4 hour race with 10X time acceleration, you will be virtually racing a 24 hour race.

All events will have real weather option enabled and accelerated tire degradation, so prepare for pitstops and wet races.

The racing grid will consist on 15 DPi and 15 GTE cars. You will be assigned a car class based on first come, first served. You will not be allowed to swap class on entering the race. Doing so will get you expelled from next 2 races. Points will be given per race, per class and manual administrated by race control.

The series schedule:

* We will mimic the timeline in event naming while racing, but in a shorter time. The race column shows actual duration of the event. By time acceleration you will experience the real event timeline. (2,4h X 10 = 24h)

Qualifying

Both classes have their own timeslot in qualifying session. GTE will qualify in first 15 minutes, DPI in the last 15 minutes. Failure to comply to this rules can get you expelled from the next race. Make sure to oblige. You can ruin other drivers hot lap and consequently the fun of racing. And we all started for racing fun in the beginning, right?

• If you are on hot lap. Your headlights are ON. When on an out or in lap, your headlights are OFF.
• If you are on an out lap and a faster car is approaching: get off the racing line. The sooner he passes you, the better you can focus again on your preparation for the hot lap. Be predictable!
• You are not allowed to pass cars that are on a hot lap (Lights are on, pushing on the racing line) .
• If you are on your out lap or made a driving error in your hot lap, let the others pass safely and without disrupting their lane if possible.

Race

Race strategy is free, there are no mandatory pitstops. Since this is a multiclass race, we expect you to follow blue flags and let the faster cars pass whenever possible. It is the responsibility of faster cars to safely overtake slower cars. When a faster car is overtaking a car from a different class, whether a blue flag is being shown to the slower car or not, the slower car should be predictable and remain on the racing line. The faster car should execute the overtake only when it is safe to do so. If a faster car is lapping another car in the same class then the same rule applies; some cooperation may be required to facilitate the overtake. Please be sensible.

All of the standard Racing Club Rules still apply to this event.

You do not need to nominate which car you will drive, but should specify in which class you would like to drive when signing up.

Remember to:
• Go to toilet before the race, it is a long ride
• Drink during the race
• Setup buttons for Lights, TC, ABS, Brake Balance and windscreen wipers
• Setup your wheel, button box or keyboard to make strategy changes as easy as possible. Make sure you can keep your eyes on the road while doing that
• Do some test with pitstops and make sure you selected the right strategy before entering race. It’s very frustrated to nail the strategy but ruin it with a drive through penalty

• Drive safe. The race is long and can’t be won in lap 1. So, relax, be consistent and predictable for the other racers.
Thanks Eric. Will look at it better at a later moment but all valid points. Fixed setup is not possible I am afraid. You cant create (pre race) race strategy and the pitstop strategy that goes with that.

How did you all get on in the second race? I kinda wish I had hung around as I had a technical meltdown in the rF2 event, but the lure of old school H pattern and turbo kick was too great :D

I never used to like this track as it seemed completely neutered compared to it's old layout through the forest, but it grew on me after regularly playing it in GTR2 and now I really appreciate the tricky bits.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 76 12.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 55 8.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 37 6.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 91 14.7%