During the Group C race at Spa I was not only battling with the competition but persistent miss-shifts while downshifting.
(I checked rFactor after the race and it shifted just fine...no miss-shifts)
To deal (manage) with the issue I slowed down my down-shifts which seemed to help. During practice in the days leading up to the race I didn't experience any problems.
So what's up with Raceroom, is anybody else having this issue?

what type of shifter you using ?
to be fair it's group C if you're using H patern i'm sure there will be somthing to do with the fact these cars are so old.

Even using the paddle shifts on my old G27 i found my self having to multi tap the paddle sometimes just to get the bugger into the gear i wanted .

Try one of the modern formula cars in raceroom to check if the issue exists with cars that can take quick shifting 100%.
If it goes away with these cars it's because you can't shift so quickly in a group c.

If you experience the same I'll Google for the double-shift-protection-time in one of the config files. It's there so you don't double shift with worn shifters. Might be too high for you.

what type of shifter you using ?
to be fair it's group C if you're using H patern i'm sure there will be somthing to do with the fact these cars are so old.

Even using the paddle shifts on my old G27 i found my self having to multi tap the paddle sometimes just to get the bugger into the gear i wanted .

I am using the Fanatec F1 Esports wheel, which only has paddle shifters. Like I said it works fine in rFactor, I can downshift as fast as I want to with no miss-shifts.

Try one of the modern formula cars in raceroom to check if the issue exists with cars that can take quick shifting 100%.
If it goes away with these cars it's because you can't shift so quickly in a group c.

If you experience the same I'll Google for the double-shift-protection-time in one of the config files. It's there so you don't double shift with worn shifters. Might be too high for you.

Ok after work this evening I will try that, thanks.

Just for future references etc., the file and the line are the following:
C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet
-->>%NameOfYourControllerProfile%.rcs
-->>Shift Delta Time="0.05" // Minimum time between shifts

That's the default. That's half of a tenth. With the Fanatec paddles you might be quicker, although unlikely! I owned the Formula Black and you can shift incredibly fast with these!

If it's the same problem with the Formula FR X-17 then try to put that value to "0.02" and see if it's better :)

And remember, if you don't own the car you can do a test drive from the store!

You might find it helpful to blip the throttle in time with your downshifts, if you aren't doing that already.

Here is a video from Alex at Sector 3 with a good explanation of how the gearbox works. The part you want is at 11:30:

Ok, so I tried the fastest Formula car and no downshift issues. I tried the F3 version of the formula cars and still no issues. So I am scratching my head wondering whats up? I went back to the 962 at Raceroom raceway and still no issues (miss-shifting on downshifts). Huh??? Maybe the problem went away on its own?

So I get into my Ruf GT1 Porsche for some fun at the upcoming Hungaroring (online) race for Sunday... And guess what...yep you guessed it, it miss-shifts if I downshift too fast? Not only that but I notice a bell tinkle when it misses. This problem is an online issue only, and that fits because when I was practicing offline for the Group C at Spa, it never once missed (it only missed online).

I think it is a server setting maybe and my down-shifting style combined (no-blip down-shifts).

BTW: I have my double shift prevention set to 0.0 and I am using manual shifting plus auto-clutch

Last edited:
Ok, so I tried the fastest Formula car and no downshift issues. I tried the F3 version of the formula cars and still no issues. So I am scratching my head wondering whats up? I went back to the 962 at Raceroom raceway and still no issues (miss-shifting on downshifts). Huh??? Maybe the problem went away on its own?

So I get into my Ruf GT1 Porsche for some fun at the upcoming Hungaroring (online) race for Sunday... And guess what...yep you guessed it, it miss-shifts if I downshift too fast? Not only that but I notice a bell tinkle when it misses. This problem is an online issue only, and that fits because when I was practicing offline for the Group C at Spa, it never once missed (it only missed online).

I think it is a server setting maybe and my down-shifting style combined (no-blip down-shifts).

BTW: I have my double shift prevention set to 0.0 and I am using manual shifting plus auto-clutch
Maybe you should check your assists/realism settings? Maybe you have auto blip or something activated? I'm not really using raceroom so I don't have much clue about this.
I configured the steering though so that I can get into it whenever I'll want.

Anyway, it seems like the server settings are "more realistic" than your own settings. Have a look :)

Our R3E servers are set to "free choice" when it comes to gears, so it's not a server-side issue. If you are hearing that "tinkle" sound when you miss a gear, then as Majuh said, it is the built-in downshift protection. It prevents you downshifting if your revs are too high. Let them drop lower and shift a bit slower.

You havent explained what you mean with miss-shifts.
Is it as example going 2 gear down instead of 1?
Or is it not shifting at all eventhough you push the shifter?
While down-shifting it miss-shifts by not actually going into the next lower gear, but instead just a tinkle from a bell is heard. So then what happens is I have to activate the paddle more times then I should have to which then causes more shifts than I originally wanted locking the rear tires causing a spin. Anyway I think Ross and the other guys are right...some cars have preset shifting limits which prevents shifting too quickly?

Anyway I think Ross and the other guys are right...some cars have preset shifting limits which prevents shifting too quickly?
The downshift protection level varies between cars somewhat. I find some quite annoying when downshifting too, especially into the lower gears. Really messes up your rhythm on corner entry when you have to tap the paddle a second time.

BTW does RR have a setting for auto-blip:p
Unless I'm mistaken, I think it auto-blips if you have auto-clutch enabled. Can anyone else confirm?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 306 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 438 39.5%