Luke Maney

100RPM
Original poster
Nov 19, 2016
During the Group C race at Spa I was not only battling with the competition but persistent miss-shifts while downshifting.
(I checked rFactor after the race and it shifted just fine...no miss-shifts)
To deal (manage) with the issue I slowed down my down-shifts which seemed to help. During practice in the days leading up to the race I didn't experience any problems.
So what's up with Raceroom, is anybody else having this issue?

Mallyauto86

25RPM
Oct 14, 2009
what type of shifter you using ?
to be fair it's group C if you're using H patern i'm sure there will be somthing to do with the fact these cars are so old.

Even using the paddle shifts on my old G27 i found my self having to multi tap the paddle sometimes just to get the bugger into the gear i wanted .

RasmusP

6000RPM
Premium
Oct 7, 2016
Try one of the modern formula cars in raceroom to check if the issue exists with cars that can take quick shifting 100%.
If it goes away with these cars it's because you can't shift so quickly in a group c.

If you experience the same I'll Google for the double-shift-protection-time in one of the config files. It's there so you don't double shift with worn shifters. Might be too high for you.

Luke Maney

100RPM
Original poster
Nov 19, 2016
what type of shifter you using ?
to be fair it's group C if you're using H patern i'm sure there will be somthing to do with the fact these cars are so old.

Even using the paddle shifts on my old G27 i found my self having to multi tap the paddle sometimes just to get the bugger into the gear i wanted .
I am using the Fanatec F1 Esports wheel, which only has paddle shifters. Like I said it works fine in rFactor, I can downshift as fast as I want to with no miss-shifts.

Luke Maney

100RPM
Original poster
Nov 19, 2016
Try one of the modern formula cars in raceroom to check if the issue exists with cars that can take quick shifting 100%.
If it goes away with these cars it's because you can't shift so quickly in a group c.

If you experience the same I'll Google for the double-shift-protection-time in one of the config files. It's there so you don't double shift with worn shifters. Might be too high for you.
Ok after work this evening I will try that, thanks.

RasmusP

6000RPM
Premium
Oct 7, 2016
Just for future references etc., the file and the line are the following:
C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet
-->>%NameOfYourControllerProfile%.rcs
-->>Shift Delta Time="0.05" // Minimum time between shifts

That's the default. That's half of a tenth. With the Fanatec paddles you might be quicker, although unlikely! I owned the Formula Black and you can shift incredibly fast with these!

If it's the same problem with the Formula FR X-17 then try to put that value to "0.02" and see if it's better :)

And remember, if you don't own the car you can do a test drive from the store!

EsxPaul

1000RPM
Premium
Feb 17, 2016
You might find it helpful to blip the throttle in time with your downshifts, if you aren't doing that already.

Here is a video from Alex at Sector 3 with a good explanation of how the gearbox works. The part you want is at 11:30:

Goffik

RMG Motorsports
Staff
Premium
Sep 28, 2009
Just so you know, there is no need to edit config files as Rasmus suggests in order to set double-shift protection. There's an option for it right there in the menus. ;)

Reactions: RasmusP

RasmusP

6000RPM
Premium
Oct 7, 2016
Just so you know, there is no need to edit config files as Rasmus suggests in order to set double-shift protection. There's an option for it right there in the menus. ;)
Oops, forgot about that but when I was messing with my config to try some suggestions I stumbled upon the line in the file :roflmao::whistling:

Reactions: BrunoB

Hal Burns

250RPM
Mar 19, 2014
With the 932, I have to be deliberate when shifting ( ie slow) or I miss shifts with both paddles and H shift. Old school.

Luke Maney

100RPM
Original poster
Nov 19, 2016
Ok, so I tried the fastest Formula car and no downshift issues. I tried the F3 version of the formula cars and still no issues. So I am scratching my head wondering whats up? I went back to the 962 at Raceroom raceway and still no issues (miss-shifting on downshifts). Huh??? Maybe the problem went away on its own?

So I get into my Ruf GT1 Porsche for some fun at the upcoming Hungaroring (online) race for Sunday... And guess what...yep you guessed it, it miss-shifts if I downshift too fast? Not only that but I notice a bell tinkle when it misses. This problem is an online issue only, and that fits because when I was practicing offline for the Group C at Spa, it never once missed (it only missed online).

I think it is a server setting maybe and my down-shifting style combined (no-blip down-shifts).

BTW: I have my double shift prevention set to 0.0 and I am using manual shifting plus auto-clutch

Last edited:

Majuh

500RPM
Nov 26, 2010
So I get into my Ruf GT1 Porsche for some fun at the upcoming Hungaroring (online) race for Sunday... And guess what...yep you guessed it, it miss-shifts if I downshift too fast? Not only that but I notice a bell tinkle when it misses.
That's the downshift protection of the car kicking in.

BrunoB

Too much Goebbels
Oct 10, 2011
You havent explained what you mean with miss-shifts.
Is it as example going 2 gear down instead of 1?
Or is it not shifting at all eventhough you push the shifter?

RasmusP

6000RPM
Premium
Oct 7, 2016
Ok, so I tried the fastest Formula car and no downshift issues. I tried the F3 version of the formula cars and still no issues. So I am scratching my head wondering whats up? I went back to the 962 at Raceroom raceway and still no issues (miss-shifting on downshifts). Huh??? Maybe the problem went away on its own?

So I get into my Ruf GT1 Porsche for some fun at the upcoming Hungaroring (online) race for Sunday... And guess what...yep you guessed it, it miss-shifts if I downshift too fast? Not only that but I notice a bell tinkle when it misses. This problem is an online issue only, and that fits because when I was practicing offline for the Group C at Spa, it never once missed (it only missed online).

I think it is a server setting maybe and my down-shifting style combined (no-blip down-shifts).

BTW: I have my double shift prevention set to 0.0 and I am using manual shifting plus auto-clutch
Maybe you should check your assists/realism settings? Maybe you have auto blip or something activated? I'm not really using raceroom so I don't have much clue about this.
I configured the steering though so that I can get into it whenever I'll want.

Anyway, it seems like the server settings are "more realistic" than your own settings. Have a look :)

Reactions: Luke Maney

Goffik

RMG Motorsports
Staff
Premium
Sep 28, 2009
Our R3E servers are set to "free choice" when it comes to gears, so it's not a server-side issue. If you are hearing that "tinkle" sound when you miss a gear, then as Majuh said, it is the built-in downshift protection. It prevents you downshifting if your revs are too high. Let them drop lower and shift a bit slower.

Reactions: RasmusP

Luke Maney

100RPM
Original poster
Nov 19, 2016
You havent explained what you mean with miss-shifts.
Is it as example going 2 gear down instead of 1?
Or is it not shifting at all eventhough you push the shifter?
While down-shifting it miss-shifts by not actually going into the next lower gear, but instead just a tinkle from a bell is heard. So then what happens is I have to activate the paddle more times then I should have to which then causes more shifts than I originally wanted locking the rear tires causing a spin. Anyway I think Ross and the other guys are right...some cars have preset shifting limits which prevents shifting too quickly?

Goffik

RMG Motorsports
Staff
Premium
Sep 28, 2009
Anyway I think Ross and the other guys are right...some cars have preset shifting limits which prevents shifting too quickly?
The downshift protection level varies between cars somewhat. I find some quite annoying when downshifting too, especially into the lower gears. Really messes up your rhythm on corner entry when you have to tap the paddle a second time.

BTW does RR have a setting for auto-blip:p
Unless I'm mistaken, I think it auto-blips if you have auto-clutch enabled. Can anyone else confirm?