download managers

R

Robert Stork

• Robert Stork

is there any way to download with one of these. everytime I try it tries to download a .php file. Then I cancel and firefox downloads correct file.

• Robert Stork

oh sorry it was for downloading gtr evo maps/stuff
i have something called freedownloadmanager.
whenever i try to download stuff from this website it try's to download the php linking to the file but never the file itself.

• Robert Stork

oh well once you get it you won't be able to live without it.
Basically it finds the file your downloading and opens up multiple connections to it.
So lets say the download cap on the website is 50kb. Well you get 7 50kbs. Thats 350kbs. Or more.

Try disabling that download manager (whats the use of it anyway?)...

I 2nd the above and add that Firefox has DL manager built-in... So no need for an add-on one.

If Firefox can't resume a download likely it's the server that doesn’t support resumes...

Anyway, never experienced an interrupted DL from RD and I’m more than 2500 km away from the server :wink2:

Edit*

oh well once you get it you won't be able to live without it.
Basically it finds the file your downloading and opens up multiple connections to it.
So lets say the download cap on the website is 50kb. Well you get 7 50kbs. Thats 350kbs. Or more.

:neutral:

There you have it... the why your DL manager "doesn't work" in RD DL area :wink2:

Download managers are the best way to go. I use them everywhere. Unfortunately they don't work well with sites like RD that don't provide an adequate link to the file and use encrypted downloads. Flashget download manager is the best to use and its free, it also allows you to set your rapidshare login info so you download with premium services if you have a premium account. If you don't it can still download from rapidshare but won't be as fast. I use it for everything. Flashget makes downloading ten times faster then using normal download style.

... and opens up multiple connections to it.

lol. there's nothing wrong with that. cmon

I've 2 simple questions then...

• Why do websites have download caps in 1st place?
  • If everyone uses the software you describe (multiple connections/download) what will happen?
The tool you describe is one of those that can improve things for a limited group of individuals (so called: "first to arrive").
As an all, at best it is a "neutral" tool when seen in the bigger pictures of things but I wouldn't be surprised that it is even negative.

As such it is a tool for the “smart”... don't mistake being smart with being intelligent.
When we do intelligent things, the all group benefits, when we do smart things, many times only us benefit and the group can even lose.

I’m just trying to show the reverse of the coin, since you didn’t see “nothing wrong”, personally I don’t really care if someone uses those tools or not, I don’t and that’s all it matters to me for now.

Before someone "jumps the light" :wink2:, I'm talking about www downloads (http), not p2p for instances where although a client only accepts a certain limited number of connections, it can make a high number of them (limited by the OS/software for instances).

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 91 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%