Downforce: The Big Question

Hey folks! Our podcast, Downforce is about to begin and one of the sections "The Big Question" will discuss various issues in motorsport, and this is where YOU can tell us what YOU think.

Anything you say will be broadcast on our podcast on iTunes, Podomatic and SoundCloud.

Our first big question is:

What should be done to make F1 better?

Ready? GO!!

Less downforce (Half less ?), no overtake gimmicks (KERS, DRS...), and less tarmac run-offs :p

I'd like proper shifters but yeah, a bit farfetched eh ? :D

Really the best i think would be to introduce a spec-floor with a fan under it.
Then you could remove all the wings and keep the downforce levels, hell you could probably double the downforce levels if you wanted.
(although i think G-suits would be preferable then)

But you get rid of the number one issue of overtaking in modern F1.
That is the bad wake the car in front leaves.
It´s a massive issue and it forces the guy behind to take a completely different line through the corner just to stay with the guy in front.

My own thinking is that the sport could do with a large reform. I think KERS and DRS complicate the sport unnecessarily, increasing the costs of participating and widening the gap between the backmarkers and championship leaders.

It's also becoming less and less relevant to road car production. Hybrids are an ongoing development, and quite a popular one. But Formula 1 doesn't really have any equivalents, as KERS isn't all that similar. This has been a complaint from engine manufacturers too, with the new engine specification making engine development much more expensive with little that can be transferred to road cars..

A lot of people criticize the cars for all looking the same, or not looking nice. Something the step on the nose seen this year really doesn't help. I know it's one of the most memorable things about Formula 1, but perhaps a closed wheel formula might help this a lot?

(although i think G-suits would be preferable then)

G-suits won't be necessary, the human body can withstand lateral 9-13G unaided.

I'd try tyres which work over a larger range of slip angle. Smaller, variable incidence wings, and ground effect. I think endurance racing is better suited to technology development.

G-suits won't be necessary, the human body can withstand lateral 9-13G unaided.

I'd try tyres which work over a larger range of slip angle. Smaller, variable incidence wings, and ground effect. I think endurance racing is better suited to technology development.
Let me adress a mistake on my part.
Lateral G-forces really doesn´t need a G-suit, not because of the human being able to withstand more but because a G-suit works in a vertical way.

But, 13G´s you won´t be able to control a car really.
Humans can take over 200G´s but only for a split second.
Longer then that and you have re-furnished your organs :)

It is said that drivers complained in 03/04 of partial blackouts during races.
Link? I know 2007-2008 was considered the years with the most downforce.

I know that in NASCAR or INDYCAR people passed out on the oval due to the G.force being closer to vertical. (because of the banking)

Oh, how I wish I had a source for that. I guess it is something that once was said during a FP on a channel, than later made it way onto some forums.

Idk, it was explained with downforce, tyregrip, engines and the overall speed. I have no idea really.

FIA wants F1 to be more relevant to road cars. F1 would be better off if the FIA would stop trying to push this forward. The F-Duct and the blown diffuser were not designed for road cars, they were designed to give a competitive edge.

I was thinking about tires today. F1 cars can follow each other more closely than they could before, but the tires make it difficult for this to work. I like the excitement of fast degrading tires but drivers are avoiding getting close to another car because the turbulent air wears them out.

FIA wants F1 to be more relevant to road cars. F1 would be better off if the FIA would stop trying to push this forward. The F-Duct and the blown diffuser were not designed for road cars, they were designed to give a competitive edge.
To be honest, if they really want that they will have to allow driving aids again because that's sort of the new frontier for road cars. And I guess we all know that this is a bad idea.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back