Doubts emerge over 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix

Formula 1's return to Bahrain in 2012 is being called into question following continuing unrest in the country.
This year's race was called off following a clampdown on pro-democracy protests in the Gulf kingdom.

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said F1 bosses would discuss the issue in the coming weeks.

"It's always concerning with the media reports that you hear," said Horner. "But [we] trust in the promoter and FIA to deal with it accordingly."

He said the Bahrain would "inevitably" be discussed at the next meeting of governing body the FIA's World Council, F1's decision-making body.

Earlier this month, the Gulf kingdom faced international criticism after medical staff who treated protestors were given prison sentences of up to 15 years.

Last month, the FIA published the calendar for next year with Bahrain pencilled in for 22 April.

In February this year, the Bahrain pre-season test and race were called off following anti-government protests in the Gulf Kingdom in which more than 30 people lost their lives.

The FIA said the race could still be rescheduled and in June it announced that it would take place on 30 October, with the inaugural Indian Grand Prix moving to a date in December.

The decision proved highly controversial and outraged human rights campaigners, with nearly half a million people signing an online petition demanding a boycott.

source

While I hadn't got into watching F1 religiously since the beginning of this season (used to watch it in early 2000's) I never found Bahrain to be a highlight of the year. It's not like this track is Monaco, Singapore, or Silverstone, and with the addition of the new USA track and fears about the civil unrest in Bahrain continuing I think they should take another year off because from what I see the new India track has been well received by people.

The thing that beats me is that their has been reports if Bahrain is cancelled yet again Istanbul might be it's replacement, now let's just say it is, WTF is Bernie thinking of demanding $27m from the organizers? and then trying to use this track as a backup because another track has been cancelled, no doubt he'll knock a few million of as it will be a backup, just goes to show how damm greedy they are all becoming these days.

Personally I can't watch a race hosted by a regime/country who jails doctors and nurses for years for treating injured protesters.
It is on a par with Mugabes Zimbabwe now for human rights and the rule of law.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 337 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 467 39.0%