Donington or Brands Hatch Could Host DTM in 2018

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DTM Donington Park 2003.jpg

The DTM looks set to return to UK shores in 2018, with the historic Donington Park and Brands Hatch GP circuits the leading contenders to host the German touring car series.

The DTM, or Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters to give it its full name, hasn't been to the United Kingdom since Brands Hatch hosted the last event on its Indy circuit layout back in 2013, a race won by eventual champion Mike Rockenfeller in his Phoenix Racing Audi RS5 DTM, however that all looks set to change from next season as DTM and RTL Chairman Gerhard Berger has confirmed the series will be expanding to a 10 race calendar next year, with both Donington Park and Brands Hatch both mooted as potential venues for the German series.

Despite Brands having held much of the DTM limelight in recent years it is worth remembering Donington too has a history with the series, having hosted the British round of the championship on two separate occasions in the modern era, the last of which was in 2003 using the longer Grand Prix variation of the circuit.

According to sources it is expected that the UK round of the series could be run as the opening race of the season on April 21st - 22nd, either using Donington or the Grand Prix layout of the Brands Hatch circuit.

As part of a plan to expand the series and return to more historic locations it looks like Italy could also see a reprieve with Misano looking the most likely destination. Of the current schedule it appears that only the unpopular Moscow Raceway will be set to miss out in favour of one of the returning historic locations.

Could this mean a Sector 3 built, RaceRoom Racing Experience hosted version of either Donington Park or Brands GP in future... oh I hope so...

Potential 2018 DTM Schedule

April 21-22
TBA (Brands Hatch or Donington Park)
May 5-6 Hockenheim
May 19-20 Lausitz
June 2-3 Hungaroring
June 23-24 Norising
July 14-15 Zandvoort
August 11-12 Misano
September 8-9 Nurburgring
September 22-23 Red Bull Ring
October 13-14 Hockenheim

Check out the Motorsports Sub forum for more news and discussion around the world of wonderful world of motor racing here at RaceDepartment.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Donington Park or Brands Hatch GP - Which would you choose? Let us know below!

Last edited:
I don't mind actually. Either Donington or Brands GP would be excellent.

Just as long as it's not the Indy circuit. Give these cars a proper circuit to spread their wings. The Indy circuit is too short for DTM cars.

The only issue I seems to remember with DTM at Donington was as they generated so much aero, they found it tough to overtake. However I'd still make the trip to the UK to see either venue if the costs were ok :)

The only issue I seems to remember with DTM at Donington was as they generated so much aero, they found it tough to overtake. However I'd still make the trip to the UK to see either venue if the costs were ok :)

I'm 45 minutes on the motorway outside of Donny (if travelling with a heavy right foot anyway), got a spare room with your name on it fella (it'll cost ya a few designer classic F1 poster creations however..) :D

I'm 45 minutes on the motorway outside of Donny (if travelling with a heavy right foot anyway), got a spare room with your name on it fella (it'll cost ya a few designer classic F1 poster creations however..) :D

That's very kind you my friend. Haven't been to Donny in years. Would be great if they could maybe get WEC or Blancpain back there again, although I guess the pit lane isn't quite large enough.

Have some nice memories there. Our Nige doing the touring car race for Ford that year, the F1 GTR's with those glorious V12's in the BPR Series, the touring car masters (I think it was) where all the best super touring teams came together for a winner takes all race, BTCC or course, and finally standing behind a Jaguar XJR-12 in the classic group c championship when they were warming it up. Best sound ever! Lol

the touring car masters (I think it was) where all the best super touring teams came together for a winner takes all race

Was that the one where they all got a spec SEAT to drive? Jesus that was a fun race. Vividly recall standing on the outfield of the old hairpin with some mates, one of which didn't know much about motorsport. We were all talking and smoking cigars explaining to him about the history of some of the past masters when we all got a bit excited about John Cleland. "Who's this John Cleland" he asked, and we responded that he's likely to be the one right in the thick of the action. About that time lap one started and the cars came over the crest at Holly Wood with one bloke doing a Senna and passing everyone on the OUTSIDE of the Crainer Curves. "That'd be Johh Cleland then" we all said in unison.

Man, when racing was epic.

Brands Hatch GP for two reasons:
1) I thoroughly enjoyed the last time DTM bothered to visit these shores on the Indy circuit.
2) It would be good to see them on the full GP circuit as I always thought the Indy was a bit too short for these cars
3) My home track, 'nuff said!

(ok that was 3!)

After Mercedes retirement track is second question. Reducing manufacturers quantity to two again is big hit to DTM fans base. Which is not so great already.

Donington GP for sure. Better circuit for high downforce cars and its closer to me :thumbsup:
But I'd also hope to see DTM go to Paul Ricard (with F1) and Catalunya (with F1 as well).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back