Done with VR

:(

I gave it my best shot, three months in, but I just can't get on with my Rift S! The immersion is incredible but it's too hot, the graphics are awful, it gives me eye strain and I'm fighting the vomit effect constantly. I also hate having to lift it up a bit so I can find my keyboard/mouse/drink/Haribo which then tends to smear the lenses even more. I'm constantly moving it around on my face to keep it in the sweet spot and just generally seem to spend more time fiddling than driving. Consequently I'm significantly slower driving with it, even though the depth perception is fantastic, but I've tried everything (FPS adjusting/massive industrial fans/short sessions/travel sickness tablets) but it's just not working for me in driving games. I've actually got to the stage of dreading it and avoid any potential races, whereas before I'd jump at the chance of a race or even just spend 4+ hours driving around LAC in something old and slow for fun.

Back in the day I had 3x32" triples but the large bezels drove me crazy and I don't really have the space for a large set. So, I'm thinking that I could go down a single superwide path with something like a Acer Predator X34P, or for even less money I could get two more AOC G2790s and go triple with my existing AOC (that have tiny bezels).

What's the current trend heading towards?

Last edited:
Seems like ultrawides are pretty popular. I have not tried VR but I get motion sick very easily anyway. Once technology improves I may try it. I use a Predator x34. I have had it about 2 years. Nice thing is it is great for racing, FPS, and music production. Which I do all on one computer. Great for FPS...120 hz, and wide FOV. But they are expensive

Honestly triples and VR look great to me but just not as practical for a multipurpose computer.

Upvote 0
I should add that it is on a dedicated racing rig so not really used for anything else.

With a 34" ultrawide do you actually get much more side view, with a correct FOV do you see both mirrors for example?

Upvote 0
So, the triples give you the sides?

For around 450€ for 2 x AOCs (+100€ for the additional mounts) it seems a bit of a no-brainer I guess, I could get a big chunk of that back for my Rift S too

Upvote 0
I still have my rift but barely use it nowadays as i just get to hot if i race beyond 30 minutes and just cant get away from the drop in graphics compared to my monitors.
So im really happy when using my 27inch triples with great FOV , graphics and general comfort when in the rig.

Upvote 0
Normally we would say make sure you give it a good try. 25 hours is a pretty good go so it's unfortunate it didn't work out well for you in the end.

I cut my teeth on the previous two versions and I have to say that other than the improved resolution the rift-s is a step backwards, for a person of my size and an IPD of 68. I wonder if I started on the rift S if I would have accepted it as well as I did after going through the learning curve with more comfortable ones.

I think 27" minimum for triples and I would be keen to see what a 49" 32:9 screen would be like for racing - compared to triples.

Upvote 0
Also, this can change things quite a lot, you need to race with a fan. It will keep you comfortable and make sure there is no fogging going on. If you are uncomfortable because of heat then all the things you mentioned can come in to play.

Upvote 0
The 49" screen is just two 27" beside each other without the side view that triples provide. And without bezel interference.

Yes, I guess the interest for me is does it give you enough view compared to triples? I am in VR and will stay there but from time to time I think about something like a 49" for the sims that are not in VR as I wont be having a triple screen setup alongside my VR

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

yeah man go the 49" you won't regret it.. VR sux ATM! :whistling:
Vomit Team is getting bigger and bigger. Yay!
giphy.gif

Upvote 0
It's not a cheap fix but I've found that since I added motion to my rig, people who visit and have no VR experience are not getting queasy anymore.

Historically they would last most of one stage in Dirt Rally and be out of commission a while.

Now they are able to try a bunch of stuff out without any ill effects.

Upvote 0
It's not a cheap fix but I've found that since I added motion to my rig, people who visit and have no VR experience are not getting queasy anymore.

Historically they would last most of one stage in Dirt Rally and be out of commission a while.

Now they are able to try a bunch of stuff out without any ill effects.

Funny you say that, I had a guy flying in DCS tonight with motion, he didnt have any issues he had the last time with no motion.

Upvote 0
Just got No Man’s Sky just to enjoy VR and now I'm back at playing in pancake mode. It’s somehow better imo. However I could never get back to screen when it comes to racing sims.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing