Done with F1

Today I watched a brilliant series of races from the Assen round of the British Superbike Championship. I then went on to watch the final round of the British Touring car championship.
Every single race was edge of your seat action with 100% commitment from all participants.
I then sat and watched my recorded F1 Russian GP. What an absolute kick in the nuts for all F1 fans!
This is not racing anymore. Hasn`t been for a long while, but I still watch in the hope that something might change. I can honestly say I will no longer watch this façade from now on, and I`ve watched since the 70`s. R.I.P. F1.

I fully agree. Not only the races have become boring, but the drivers have become uninteresting people as well - just nerds pushing buttons. I agree that safety had to be improved - we don't need two drivers killed every year, as it was before Senna's death - but some amount of risk and daring is essential and helps to create that gladiatorial aura surrounding the competitors. In its search for absolute safety, F1 has killed all that. The way things are going, at some point they may decide that the safest way to go is to simply put the pilots in racing simulators.

Earlier in the season at least practice 1 and 2 were a bit interesting as the teams messed with their cars. Now that's gone, too.

I have started watching much more racing thanks to youtube. Touring cars are like the perfect opposite to F1, it's like there are no rules. :laugh:

But I still watch F1, it may be going through a rough patch but it's still the top tier open wheeler. It's hit a wall where the engineering is too good, the laws of physics have been bent to it's will, and drivers are way to educated to make entertaining mistakes.

It's the world we live that's kind of the problem. F1 needs to find it's feet again and figure out what it is. It's not the same sport as it was when it was created.

Television analyst's expert commentary on lap 13 of 53 (as Vettel enters the pit lane):
"This for the race. This is where the real race is."
True or not, F1 might consider hyping the race, not the pit stops!

Television analyst's expert commentary on lap 13 of 53 (as Vettel enters the pit lane):
"This for the race. This is where the real race is."
True or not, F1 might consider hyping the race, not the pit stops!
I heard that also, and thought how lame is that?

Make F1 official multiclass: Merc, Ferrari and RBR are Class 1 and the rest is Class 2, points are given for each class. I would just watch Class 2 as there’s much more excitement.

Make F1 official multiclass: Merc, Ferrari and RBR are Class 1 and the rest is Class 2, points are given for each class. I would just watch Class 2 as there’s much more excitement.
To be honest I really like that idea in all honesty! I would also get rid of any budget caps for class 1 and let them get crazy in develepoment and push the boundaries of what is possible. class 2 should have a reasonable budget cap with enforced contracts for discounted power units

I think they should restrict the size of the engineering teams too. If every team had the same amount of engineers it would help reduce the advantage of the large companies who have thousands of people working on their problems. It could also open up the engineers to being followed like drivers are followed.

Perhaps you should reconsider and watch the Japanese GP. At least 50 overtakes and about half of those came with no DRS.
educating the idea of considering F1 as multiclass, most of those overtakes happend as a class 1 car plowed through the class 2 field ... takes away from the excitement that one could expect from the number alone

I fully agree. Not only the races have become boring, but the drivers have become uninteresting people as well - just nerds pushing buttons. I agree that safety had to be improved - we don't need two drivers killed every year, as it was before Senna's death - but some amount of risk and daring is essential and helps to create that gladiatorial aura surrounding the competitors. In its search for absolute safety, F1 has killed all that. The way things are going, at some point they may decide that the safest way to go is to simply put the pilots in racing simulators.
There was a driver shown the HANS device and he said "They should get some cotton for there Candy asses" Thinking it was not necessary. That man was Dale Earnhardt Sr. Who tied shortly after at a NASCAR Race The Daytona 500. With it he would probably be alive today.

F1 Today is just about 4/6 cars, other racing classes are much more exciting.
Whats wrong?:mad:
F1 is the top level of Motorsport and for that reason it is the biggest challenge for a driver or team. The training wheel's come off when you get to F1. Yes the driver has probably to much on the wheel as far as electronics is concerned. But without that the death rate would escalate and force the sport to be band by governments like the Polish Government band racing.

educating the idea of considering F1 as multiclass, most of those overtakes happend as a class 1 car plowed through the class 2 field ... takes away from the excitement that one could expect from the number alone
Talking of class i think F1 should have classes like in sports cars. The grids are to small right now but with potability of 3rd drivers you can make 2 or 3 classes. Front Middle and Back of the pack are running there own race so you cant compare a top chassis with a medeocore or weak one. You have to compare drivers or teams with those around them in the constructors championship. So you have to separate Apples from Oranges and Lemons to do that.:ninja:

I heard that also, and thought how lame is that?
The commentary team are a long way from the talents of Murray Walker. There ex drivers who tend not to say to much or don't want to get political. You need a Hipe man like at Austin Texas last year the guy form WWF who says "Lets get ready to rumble" did the start. We need energy and excitement running through the commentators. Just Like Murray Walker. Or someone who is the MC for a Basketball game. Real loud real pumped. Real energy.

There was a driver shown the HANS device and he said "They should get some cotton for there Candy asses" Thinking it was not necessary. That man was Dale Earnhardt Sr. Who tied shortly after at a NASCAR Race The Daytona 500. With it he would probably be alive today.
There are safety features that affect on-track action and the ones that affect nothing then improve safety. aleph thinks about first, and you are talking about the second. If we have halo, hans, very much improved safety foam barriers, rules about tractors inside track area, and widened run-offs. Why couldn't we still keep some higher curbs and gravel run-offs. For me that is something that takes off the challenge from tracks today, instead of giving sense of danger but also with all the systems that we have now drivers would be safe (excluding small parts that fall of other car :().

There was other factors involved, like how he always wore open-faced helmets, and according to Simpson, the seat belts were incorrectly installed.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back