Doing the FULL HQ 2004 championship

Just kinda excited. Always wanted to do the full championship with complete times and no restarts. Not sure I’ll be able to finish it. I usually only play for an hour or so a day. So I figure it will take about 3 months with 3 and 24 hour races. Going from pitstop to Pitstop. I’ve got the ai set to clean in hopes they can survive the long races. I think that will be the deciding factor as to wether it gets boring or not. P1 qly time is about 9 seconds a lap faster than me in the first race, so I should have a good fight on my hands.
I’m not necessarily Looking to win so much as finish the whole series. Although the last time I did a championship at 33% I found myself totally committed to winning the championship which I think I ended up in 6th at the end of it all.
Anyway I’m wondering if any of you GTR2 lovers have done the full championship.

Last edited:
I know I just posted this. I wrote it a couple of days ago while waiting for my horses to finish eating and forgot to push send.
Anyway' I'm wondering about the changes to the AI physics? In my first race at Monza, half the field has crashed out and the race isn't even half over yet. The two opposing chicanes are killing them. They brake too late then run wild, and if there is a group of them it's a pile up. And they are constantly hitting me in the ass in the corners.
Is there something I can to do fix this?

I have just made a 101 laps race at monza to check myself and I did not notice this behavior at all with the preset I made in GTR2 HQ Anniversary Patch "out of the box" : delete any profile in UserData and delete all HAT files in UserData\log. Then re-install anniversary patch (tick box to overwrite all files and folders) and run GTR2 "AS IS", DO NOT MODIFY ANY SETTING : use PLAYER profile without modification and click CHAMPIONSHIPS, HQ04 CHAMPIONSHIP and START with the car of your choice. By default you will run full race with NORMAL settings and TIMID aggressivity.

By the way, you must know that there are AI settings everywhere in many files in GTR2 and not only in AI Talents RCD : this is only the top of the iceberg. Indeed there are different AI settings in optional physics, tyres and PLR files too. FYI Vanilla, NAPmod and Reborn physics/tyres/talents use high aggressivity AI because they wanted them to be more competitive but counterpart is that AI push you ; only HQ physics/tyres/talents use advanced tweaks to make ai less aggressive with more brake points, and if you want them more competitive then just increase % slider.
Morereover there are tips : drive your car as it was really yours and you paid it 150 000$, I mean take care of your car to avoid contacts, do not try to overtake at all cost, be patient and wait for the best opportunity. DO NOT SLALOM and DO NOT TRY TO BLOCK rear cars at all cost, DO NOT DRIVE in the MIDDLE of the road, chose a line either left or right and keep it as long as AI cars are around you. Indeed, AI will hit your back for sure as soon as they decided to overtake you while you change your driving line at the same time. Always keep security distance with AI cars, for sure you will hit them, and vice versa, if you stick them bumper to bumper while suddenly you or AI decide to brake. You must have a fair and predictable behavior for GTR2 AI and only at these conditions you will have a good AI experience : the best examples of fair driving against AI are the Billy's videos on his youtube channel:

Last edited:
Yes I’ve fiddled with the ai setting a lot over the years using vondutch’s guide to better ai. That may well have contributed to the problem. Anyway I re-did the instal according to your instructions and that seems to have fixed the issue.
thank you very much for that.
i have to say I-found It a bit humorous that you told me all the driving techniques that I have said many times to other people.:cool: I cut my sim racing teeth on this game. Been playing for about 7 years and still love it.
sorry it took me so long to reply. I just finished my first stint and it was very intense and challenging.
Thank you again for all you have done to bring this sim up to the standard that it is at.

So my first race was rather exciting. I qualified 17th in a field of 17 gt class cars, in a thunderstorm on a flooded track, about 6 seconds a lap slower than 1st. By the end of the 2nd lap in the first stint of the race, I was in p6 running 1.46's and just keeping pace with Lechner, in p1 who was followed by Alzen and Calderari. About 1/2 way through the first stint, we caught the backmarkers and I went up to p4 about 15 seconds behind the lead pack. Because of the traffic I managed to take first with 2 laps to go in my first stint .

I came into the pits hot and got a stop and go penalty, so after the pitstop I came out in p7, but with the stop and go I suddenly found myself almost 30 seconds behind the leaders:confused:. So I pushed hard and again about 1/2 way through that stint I was only 6 or 7 seconds back from the leaders when my tires went away and I went off track a couple of times. So I had to slow down a bit and wait for my tires to cool down, I had also used a lot of fuel. I had come out of lesmo 2 headed towards variante ascari when I saw smoke up ahead. I got there to see Alzen on the side of the track and a few seconds later passed Calderari who was limping into the pits, later when I checked the replay Alzen had tried to pass Lechner on the exit of variante ascari and they collided and collected Calderari. After that Lechner was running 1.50s and Alzen was stuck on the side of the track which created a situation that I decided to treat as a local yellow until I realized that Lechner was the only car not dropping down to 60 kph in that zone, weird. Anyway it was an even match because of my worn tires. But I was doing slightly better than him and finished the stint in first only to realize that lechner was getting 2 more laps to a tank of fuel than me, and I stood to loose the race on pitstops unless I started doing fuel conservation.

The third stint was rather uneventful and after 10 laps I was well ahead of Lechner. We were way head of everyone else and I had passed Calderari on the front straightaway only to have him pummel me at T1, trashing my suspension and aero, and blowing a tire. By the time I got to the pits and got my car fixed, I was was a lap and a half down from p1. OK this just got interesting more again. I was pushing harder than before fighting traffic and passing cars and it took me a while to catch p1 and as I passed him coming out of the pits, we were the only ones on the lead lap. At lap 92 I needed to pit in 2 laps and decided to check the time left because there had been enough happen that I didn't see us doing all 101 laps. Imagine my reaction upon seeing there was only enough time for 4 more laps and I had to pit in two laps. I lost the race on a pitstop and finished in second 12 seconds behind the Lechner.:cool:

So now my concern is this. At the end of the race the ai had lost 9 seconds a lap after a three hour race. WTF is going to happen in a 24 hour race? I was only doing 1.50's at the end, but Lechner was doing 1.55's and all but 5 cars were at least 2 laps down. I'm running the ai at my usual 96% and can't change the level in the GDB file. I've tried several times in the past. I know about the settings in the AIW file, best and worst and all that but have never changed that so I'm not sure whether to raise or lower the numbers. I'm kind of thinking to also fiddle with the AI caution settings to see if they will pass the slower cars a little quicker, but I am concerned that it will only cause more accidents. That was one of the areas where I knew I could get ahead, but,,,

So if anyone has any suggestions I'm open to them. Maybe I can try them in single race on a track by track basis and see what happens.

I rather enjoyed the first race. In all honesty I rarely ever run an error free race which helps with the short comings of the ai. Maybe this can help others to tune the game better for longer races. I never really like short races ie less than 30 minutes. like I said I'm doing this pitstop to pitstop so there is time to experiment with things.

Well after 6 races I'm in first but only with a 7 point lead. I have to give many many Mahalo's (thank you) to all who have worked on the anniversary updates. The competition has been intense to say the least, and the new HD AI are just awesome. I seem to keep qualifying in last place, p17, and the fight to get to the front is never ending;). So far I've got two 1st,s, one 2nd and a 4th. I made an agreement with myself, no restarts! and have stuck to it religiously.:cool: Which has caused me to experience all the emotions of racing, everything from total excitement after winning a 30 min battle with Alzen for p15 at Donington and the relief of finally loosing him in a pack of NGT,s to the frustration of trying to pass Vonka on the front straight on Brno, who was already a lap down, only to have him block me causing me to crash into the wall at 200 kph:confused::mad:. No restarts. I'm really curious as to what's going to happen next at the 24hrs of Spa. I'm going to have to find the extra time to do some double stints if I don't want to spend the next three weeks on one track.:x3: It's already been close to a month and a1/2.

It's very interesting to me that I have most of the new racing sims, yet 98% of my racing time right now is spent playing GTR2:rolleyes:. I've spent all of $26 on this game, and hundreds on all the new sims. Yet this is still my overall favorite.;)

Anyway, just sharing my excitement. I don't have anyone here to talk to about sim racing sooo. I sometimes wonder if I"m the only person in the Hawaiian chain with a rig:O_o:

Who’d a thought the 24hrs of spa would be so intense. After three stints I’m struggling to stay in the top ten. I keep cycling to the front because of the pit stop cycles. So I have do have a chance of winning, depending on how the pit cycles run. But I am just a bit overwhelmed by the length of this race as the sun sets and I have 21hrs more to go and about 27 more pit stops. :thumbsup:

I had too take a couple of days away from this and do something less intense for my racing time. CodeMasters games are always good for short gain fun and goofing off.
Alright 6hr update on the 24hrs of spa. I just happened to cycle through to P1just before the 6hr mark and got the first 5 points of the race, which I found extremely satisfying. Every stint has been extremely hard and fun. I've really had to push hard the whole time to stay on the lead lap and always end a stint saying to myself "F*ck that was intense". I can't clearly remember all the battles I've had in the last 6 hours of racing, but there have been very few times when I wasn't battling somebody. Wether fighting slower cars for the overtake, or one of the GT cars for position, there have been very few moments where I wasn't in some sort of fight. It has put a smile on my face SO MANY times for the immersion level, I love it!:cool:
So anyway, when I came into the pits, that was beginning of this last stint, I kind if cheated in that I saved just before I started to enter the pits. Because I had had a couple of minor incidences that had cost me the headlights. And I wanted to see if they would be fixed in the pit stop? (I had never had this issue before) Well they weren't. So I went back to the save and crashed the 575 into the barricades at the pit entrance so I could get the splitter and front Ferring replaced, and thereby get headlights as well. (I do my racing in the morning because it's the only time can get to myself for the things that I like. So I'm up at 5:30 so I can be racing by 6. And if I put blankets on the windows I have until 7:00 before It's too bright in the house for night racing. So headlights are kind of important.) So I feel like I've worked my ass off to stay inside the top ten, and that's how I justified my little cheat. But what I didn't Know was that that few seconds delay would put the next car behind me close enough to hit me in the rear right at the pit speed limit line hard just enough to give me a drive through penalty for PIT LANE SPEEDING!?! Are you F*%&ing kidding me? And trash the rear defuser which also have to be repaired adding more time to the already long pitstop.
Well by the time I pit and do my stop and go I am 1 lap and 25 sec behind the leader, in P11. So I settled down and put in one of the cleanest stints I've ever done. Half way through the stint Alzen (he's leading the race and in P2 in the championship and generally faster than me. I'm just better in heavy traffic.) who's in p1 goes into the pits and I get my lap back. YES! but then 4 0r 5 laps later he's back in the pits and falls too p5 and I'm like What?
So right now I'm in P7 and the last one on the lead lap about 1.5 minutes behind the leader and 17.5 hrs to go, the fun never stops.:)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 402 40.1%