Does this potential Fanatec order include everything I need?

I have the below-listed items saved...

*ClubSport Table Clamp V2 for PC desk mounting of WB... # CSTCV2 ... $59.95

*ClubSport Wheel Base Ver 2.5 ..... # CS_WB_V2.5_US ... $549.95

*ClubSport Wheel Rim GT Forza .... # UH_RGTF ..... $129.95

*ClubSport Pedals V3 .... # CSP_V3 ..... $359.95

Do I have everything I need listed above? Because there's another item that I don't know whether I need it or not.....

*ClubSport Steering Wheel Universal Hub for XboX1 .... # CSW_RUHX ... $349.95

I will sim race on my PC, not on an Xbox....And what does 'Universal Hub' mean? Is that some kind of quick-change add-on for someone who has multiple wheels?

Thanks for any help/ideas... -an old newbie in Rhode Island/USA

You might want to look for some YouTube unboxing / set up videos for the wheel/hub combo you want. I have wanted a Fanatec ClubSport wheel since they were first teased years ago.

What confuses me is the desirability of the universal hub vs. the Podium hub for a strict PC user. I know Barry at Sim Racing Garage was very impressed with its construction when he reviewed it in conjunction with the new Porsche Podium wheel. I am going to try to parse out the pros and cons of each hub.
Yup, I'm confused at what the difference is between the Universal and the Podium....

Upvote 0
Yup, I'm confused at what the difference is between the Universal and the Podium....

On the surface, they mainly serve the same purpose for allowing you to use your own wheel rim. The other features and differences are pretty clear when you look at the pictures and read details I would think. The Universal Hub came out years ago, the Podium Hub is quite a new product.

Do you want button controls on your wheel and a digital display, and paddle shifters ---> Get Universal Hub
Want a basic hub to add a rim and nothing else as it's cheaper (paddle shifters and buttons can be added as an extra) ---> Get Podium Hub

Upvote 0
My quick Podium vs. Universal comparo using the Podium R300 wheel which is (arguably) closest to the ClubSport Forza GT Motorsport Universal Hub Xbox One wheel:

Links:

Podium R300 wheel

Forza GT Motorsport U-hub Xbox One

PROS
1) Carbon fibre shift paddles (these could easily be a $30-$50 upgrade if purchased from an aftermarket vendor.)

2) Advanced Podium Shift Module (this awesome addition is $179.95 by itself and includes long life magnetic shifters, clutches, the ability to program accelerator and brakes--read foryourself why I think this feature alone is worth the $100 premium over the U-hub.)

3) The "business end" of the Podium hub is a robust chunk of aluminum incoroporating a quick release that tm my eyes looks more solid than the U-hub (can any owners confirm?)

4) In my opinion the Podium R300 is a much better looking wheel than the overly-branded Forza GT Motorsport wheel.

5) Can be used with either Fanatec DD1 and DD2 direct drive wheelbasess or adapted for use on other manufacturers' direct drive wheelbases.

6) Podium hub is more compact in width than the U-hub; looks a bit more streamlined.

PRO or CON

Podium R300 wheel = 30cm (smaller); ClubSport Forza wheel = 33cm (larger and a very common size on real cars.)

CONS
1) Only 6 buttons in two module pods vs. 12 buttons in 4 module pods.
NOTE: this could be a PRO: A) aesthetically (less clutter) or B) for those of us who have no clue what all those buttons do!

2) No multi-function "funky switch"

3) No Xbox One compatibilty

4) No flip up LED display

5) Lacks multi-function buttons on top of U-hub

CONCLUSION: Podium R300 wheel adds $100 to the "ouch" over the Forza GT Motorsport Universal wheel, but I strongly suggest you get more than $100 in value; poodibly as much as $230, if you wantvto forego XBox One functionality.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW:
1) Can the individual button modules and Podium Advanced Shift Module be added to the Podium Classic 2 (35cm) wheel (Fanatec does not state 100% compatabilty.) The same is true for the larger Oval and NASCAR wheels which are 35cm and have a deeper dish.

2) If #1 is feasible, will the buttons and paddles be physically reachable on the larger diameter wheel?

BTW: Do I get extra RD post RPMs for how many times I typed out the full name for the Forza wheel?!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW:
1) Can the individual button modules and Podium Advanced Shift Module be added to the Podium Classic 2 (35cm) wheel (Fanatec does not state 100% compatabilty.) The same is true for the larger Oval and NASCAR wheels which are 35cm and have a deeper dish.

Well, this is now slightly off topic, but I'm very interested in this as well! I've got a Podium hub + buttons ordered, and I'm going to install a 35cm rally wheel with 90mm dish on it. I just need a few buttons for VR reset etc. I will let you know how it goes regarding the buttons, but I'd be very interested to know if the paddles can be used for a larger 35cm rim (with less dish, not with a rally rim). It looks like the shifters mount directly to the sides of the Podium hub - it might be possible to add some spacers and longer bolts, that would be an easy way to extend the reach of the shifters.

Upvote 0
I was making a rather lame joke . . .

If you look to the right of your handle in your posts you will see that you are up to 50RPM already. In contrast, I have been posting infrequently for a year and am only at 75RPM. Forum members, correct me if I am wrong, but RPM corresponds to post count.

Upvote 0
Ok, Jim. I'll go thru Fanatec's site again...but only after having a few Manhattan's...

Thanks for the compass I'll need to better navigate there. I was not much of a Boy Scout.

Should I consider getting the Podium hub rather than the Universal?
It is a matter of personal choice. But for just starting out, I think that overall the universal hub is the best bang for the dollar since you get onboard hardware to set individual wheel settings plus 5 user defined profiles without leaving game, standard paddle shifters (you can install after market magnetic kit $, if desired or you can buy Fanatec Advanced Paddle Shifter $$$ & still retain all 12buttons+Funky Switch, I believe),12 buttons, 7-way funky switch. $350 (12 buttons/1 Funky Switch) base plus$35-$180 for magenetic Shift Kit
VS

Podium basically requires using Fanatec Driver / Fanalabs Software outside of game, you need to buy the Podium Advanced Paddle (Magnetic)Shifter w/analog paddles for shifting, CS Button Modules if you want buttons $ (Total 6 buttons) or D: Podium Button Module Endurance $$ (Which still has some issues) $410 (6 buttons/PAD magnetic) or $580 (10 buttons, Two 2-way toggle switches, Two 12-way Multi-Position Switches with Encoder Mode (endless rotation), One FunkySwitch (7-way joystick/encoder) and One analogue joystick (2-axis).

Like I said earlier it totally up to you and what ever financial/domestic situations are brought to bear. Bottom line is Podium will not make you a better driver or significantly improve your driving experience IMHO, so have fun and enjoy yourself in what ever sim you are playing. I will say that with this level of equipment you should be probably playing one of the more serious sims i.e. ACC, AC, Rf2, iRacing, GPL etc to get the most out it.:)

Upvote 0
Yikes, all this terminology ....this is like another language.

"They give these ball players funny names today...
Who is playing first base, What's on second, I don't know is on third...
What's the name of the guy playing first base?
Who
Why are you asking me for?
I'm not asking you, I'm telling you, Who is on first
What is the name of the guy playing first base?
No, What is the name of the guy playing second base
Who's on second?
No, Who's on first
I don't know
He's on third"
-Laurel and Hardy

Wow, am I bored w/ all this time at home....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can someone who has gone the Podium route and also used the Universal hub speak to the intricacies of wheel settings and relative ease/difficulty for each of the options described?

Given the one-on-one wheel comparision I presented above which contains the Podium Advanced Shifter Module, I thought the extra $100 was money well spent on the newer Podium hardware.

Every new device has its own software drivers and an accompanying learning curve. Are the onboard features of the Universal hub that much more plug and play than navigating the settings in Fanalabs?

Upvote 0
Can someone who has gone the Podium route and also used the Universal hub speak to the intricacies of wheel settings and relative ease/difficulty for each of the options described?

Given the one-on-one wheel comparision I presented above which contains the Podium Advanced Shifter Module, I thought the extra $100 was money well spent on the newer Podium hardware.

Every new device has its own software drivers and an accompanying learning curve. Are the onboard features of the Universal hub that much more plug and play than navigating the settings in Fanalabs?

Addressing extra $100 question: I already have 1@ Forza GT 320mm /UHPC w/magnetic shifter mod, 1@ CSWR 270mm/UHPC w/magnetic brake mod & 1@ Formula Carbon. So for me, I just waiting out the initial problems with Podium Wheels and software. Also Podium hub is more compact across the width of face not the depth. (Would like F1 v2 but not yet)

Addressing the onboard question, but please keep in mind, that I have been using UH for about 5 years:
1. Fanalabs software is just a fancier front end at present (in the future probably it will offer more stability/features for game setups/launching )than the Fanatec Driver Software.
2. You have to Fanalabs or Fanatec Driver software to setup Podium Hub or switch profiles NOT required on Universal Hub all can be done on hub.
3. That being said you still have to understand what each setting does (Yes, you need your manual -it is not all that intuitive - learning curve)
4. Best help comes from individual simulation forums - Yes, number one complaint NO USER MANUAL FOR SIMULATIONS (last Sim that came with manual was probably GPL or Nascar 2003) Thank You Apple! ;)

Upvote 0
Addressing extra $100 question: I already have 1@ Forza GT 320mm /UHPC w/magnetic shifter mod, 1@ CSWR 270mm/UHPC w/magnetic brake mod & 1@ Formula Carbon. So for me, I just waiting out the initial problems with Podium Wheels and software. Also Podium hub is more compact across the width of face not the depth. (Would like F1 v2 but not yet)

Addressing the onboard question, but please keep in mind, that I have been using UH for about 5 years:
1. Fanalabs software is just a fancier front end at present (in the future probably it will offer more stability/features for game setups/launching )than the Fanatec Driver Software.
2. You have to Fanalabs or Fanatec Driver software to setup Podium Hub or switch profiles NOT required on Universal Hub all can be done on hub.
3. That being said you still have to understand what each setting does (Yes, you need your manual -it is not all that intuitive - learning curve)
4. Best help comes from individual simulation forums - Yes, number one complaint NO USER MANUAL FOR SIMULATIONS (last Sim that came with manual was probably GPL or Nascar 2003) Thank You Apple! ;)
Thank you very much for your detailed post; I updated my Podium vs. Universal comparo above to reflect the lesser width of the Podium hub.

Upvote 0
I was making a rather lame joke . . .

If you look to the right of your handle in your posts you will see that you are up to 50RPM already. In contrast, I have been posting infrequently for a year and am only at 75RPM. Forum members, correct me if I am wrong, but RPM corresponds to post count.

Not lame...

Your posts are quality, from experience with the equipment being discussed and racing... I'm just a 'trying to learn' noob who chats too much. I appreciate these detailed comments about this stuff...this is the best site, I feel, for sim racing hardware discussions.

Upvote 0
Not lame...

Your posts are quality, from experience with the equipment being discussed and racing... I'm just a 'trying to learn' noob who chats too much. I appreciate these detailed comments about this stuff...this is the best site, I feel, for sim racing hardware discussions.
Agree 10000% (or is that 10,000RPM?) RaceDepartment is lively, informative and simply an amazing online community of talent, resources, how tos, and experiences from people who are passionate about motorsports in general and sim racing in particular.

Upvote 0
The saga continues... does this make sense?

*Podium Wheel R300 @ $500
*Podium Hub @ $200
*Podium Paddle Module @ $180
*ClubSport Paddles V3 @ $360
*ClubSport Desk Clamp @ $ 60
*ClubSport USB Adaptor @ $ 20

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The saga continues... does this make sense?

*Podium Wheel R300 @ $500
*Podium Hub @ $200
*Podium Paddle Module @ $180
*ClubSport Paddles V3 @ $360
*ClubSport Desk Clamp @ $ 60
*ClubSport USB Adaptor @ $ 20

You don't need the Podium Hub or either of the Paddle modules because they are included in the R300. "This product combines the Podium Wheel Rim R300, Podium Hub, Podium Advanced Paddle Module, and ClubSport Button Cluster Pack." https://fanatec.com/us-en/steering-wheels/podium-steering-wheel-r300

You might consider adding the Podium Endurance Button Module. https://fanatec.com/us-en/accessories/steering-wheel-accessories/podium-button-module-endurance

Next, did you forget to include a wheel base, such as the CSW v2.5? The steering wheel by itself doesn't do you much good ;) :whistling:

Finally, I don't think you'll need the USB adapter?

Upvote 0
You don't need the Podium Hub or either of the Paddle modules because they are included in the R300. "This product combines the Podium Wheel Rim R300, Podium Hub, Podium Advanced Paddle Module, and ClubSport Button Cluster Pack." https://fanatec.com/us-en/steering-wheels/podium-steering-wheel-r300

You might consider adding the Podium Endurance Button Module. https://fanatec.com/us-en/accessories/steering-wheel-accessories/podium-button-module-endurance

Next, did you forget to include a wheel base, such as the CSW v2.5? The steering wheel by itself doesn't do you much good ;) :whistling:

Finally, I don't think you'll need the USB adapter?

What's aggravating, is that at their site, the term 'wheel' sometimes means just the rim, and sometimes means hub, or wheel base.

The Podium Endurance Button Module I think is gaudy, but if it's helpful then I'll get it. But if I do get it, then I won't need the ClubSport Button Cluster Pack(which comes with the R300), correct? I think the Endurance module takes away from the super appearance of the R300 Podium wheel.

I didn't forget the wheelbase as I thought it was included with one of the other items. I can't seem to add just the CS2.5 wheelbase without them including the Forza wheel with it that I don't want.... This CS WB 2.5 is not listed with the other wheel bases as a separate item...

Why won't I need the USB adapter? And who's on first??:coffee:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, finally managed to find just the SS WB 2.5 listed by itself... added to cart.
*Button caps/stickers $30
*Desk clamp $60
*CS Pedals V3 $360
*Podium R300 Wheel $500
*CS WB 2.5 $550
*CS USB adapter $20
Total $1519.70

*Total with the Podium Button Module added... (+$400) = $1,919.60 OUCH.... I don't need that, do I?

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back