Tracks Does this circuit have good bones?

Late last year I came across a version of my local circuit for RF2. I spoke with the author and he gave me permission to convert to AC and sent along the RF2 files, as well as the original 3D files. I'm completely new to the world of 3D, so I spent time in Blender and KSeditor experimenting and getting a feeling for things, as well as reading about stuff specific to AC.

I've been able to unpack the RF2 files, take them from 3DSimed and into KSeditor and assign textures, etc. I've also exported an FBX from Blender and bring it into KSeditor and do textures, etc. That's as far as I've taken things so far, I haven't tried to take the track in game. In Blender I noticed some things that seemed odd to me (in my limited knowledge of 3D), such as a light pole hidden under a grass texture, etc.

I'm hoping that someone experienced in 3D and AC could have a look over the 3D file and tell me if the base of the circuit is solid and worth spending the time to bring it properly to AC, or if I'm better off starting from scratch?

Thanks!

Here is a video of the track as it exists in RF2:

Last edited:
Thanks @LilSki. I did find Lidar data months ago and pulled it into CloudCompare I believe, but it was a bit over my head. As far as I know, the RF2 version was built upon survey information from ~2007, than updated with the Lidar info. It's been a few years since I've been there, but from my recollections of lapping the real circuit it's quite accurate.

Last edited:
If it's accurate then build a new track on top of the existing rf2 track. I would adivise against messing with the conversion from what I just saw in the video.

By building on top of the existing RF2 track do you mean work from the original 3D file rather than the version I got from the RF2 conversion via 3DSimed? Sorry for the lack of clarity on my part.

Out of curiousity, what did you see in the video that raised red flags?

Take the converted model and use it as "data" and build a new one on top of it.

Corners are very low res visually and it's a bitch to fix stuff like that when you don't have the source files. As opposed to fixing low res physical mesh which is pretty easy.

I mean you can do whatever you want but I wouldn't bother with that track as a conversion.

Thanks for all your feedback. I believe I have the original source files, he sent me the .rfcmp files, as well as the original blender model and textures. The conversion process of that .rfcmp to 3DSimed to KSeditor was just an experiment in an effort to learn.

This is what I believe is the original model, not what I've converted from the RF2 package.

Attachments

• R0Xgd12 - Imgur.jpg
    R0Xgd12 - Imgur.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 171

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 243 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 160 9.9%