Does the cars being balanced in RACE 07 detract from the realism?

In my opinion, Yes. It's still quite fun, but knowing that no car has a particular advantage anymore, and that now there's no real point in picking one of the "underdog" cars, leads me further and further towards believing that RACE 07 and the addons are no longer a true sim.

Well, it's all about a level playing field in online racing. With some of the class's like GT Pro all the cars are even to each other overall but all have an advantage over each other in different ways, some faster on the straights, some better handling, some better on tyres, some use less fuel etc etc.

I did use to like driving the MC12 in GTR2, it was known to have a unrealisticly weak engine and get blasted by the faster cars on the straights but it was a good car at producing good grip and was good to give the faster cars a run for their money by beating them in it.

• Oli Bellamy

I've always been a bit of a fan of both to be honest, as someone mentioned, the matter of true realism would mean the BMWs and Seats would be seen in every single race, balancing them up somewhat allows for a more varied field, as well as it wouldn't be that fun to see
1. Seat
2. Seat
3. Seat
4. Seat

The best example I can give is Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, while fun certain races theres always the same car because it's completely realistic, I don't have much fun passing one car, only to find the one in front is exactly the same model. So because of this I think balancing makes it more fun, if everyone uses the same car, no fun, similar to GRID, everyone used to use the Chevrolet because it was better.

• bizzbo

I'm not voting, because, although it does detract a touch from the realism, it works perfectly for the game. It's nice to be able to choose any car and know that you're not getting a pup. The choice becomes about matching the subtleties of the handling to your style and the circuit. I love the Alfa 156 for short races, it's so easy to turn in, but I know in a longer race, I'll probably shred my tyres or get a bit wild and smash into someone in a tight field.

There are subtleties to the differences. But not huge - however are the differnces huge in the real WTCC? Apart from the Lada no. And the Lada is much slower.

You will find that the BMS, Audi, Lada, Alfa and Toledos are in general slower than the others - although they have their qualities also. This is realistic no?

the cars have to be balanced to some extent - otherwise you will see one-make fields constantly.

It would be nice to see a realistic carset option - but I don't beleive it will ever happen, simply because I don't think SimBin even know exactly how much faster a car should be than another. To be fair to them it's difficult to quanitfy - how should a Lada do against a Toledo for example?

In real life and in the game also, different cars perform differently in the hands of different drivers on different tracks:)
Perfect balancing is nearly impossible.
I would prefer a realistic, brought from telemetry and technical data system, but yeah, then it's possible that the half of the field would take 1 single car.

I agree with the sentiment that it isn't really "realism" but still very good as the balance is found in the fact that each car has it's own advantages.... that's fun in itself....

conclusion: I like it the way it is!

What he said^ Also because of the weight system tool, the faster cars can be added weight to if you want an even field.

I think Simbin should have a Server edition and a "Real-Life" Edition like in the MMG F1 mod. One is for server's who want an even field and the other is who want what it's really like in WTCC.

Meh, I don't think too many people that are racing online even get into the region where it is so important if your car is .2 or .3 a second faster or slower.
Because of that I find this discussion kind of silly, to be honest.

I totally disagree with you Kevin. There are defintely differences in the cars that make them have advantages/disadvantages that can and are felt with drivers as much as 2 seconds off the pace... which is probably over half the field.

Speaking mostly from GTP/GTS experience, I find the existing differences in the cars to be more than enough to keep things interesting. As has been said, some tracks require horsepower on the straights (BMW, Vette, et. al.) and some require finesse in the corners (Spyker/Audi/Mosler etc.). The cars definitely behave differently in my humble hands. (And seeing someone particularly skilled with a given 'slower' car take on the 'faster' cars is always enjoyable). (and if anyone can make use of the Sunred, could you whisper me the secret?)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 289 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 419 39.9%