Does standalone rFactor2 license work with steam edition?

rf1 and rF2 are no longer owned by the same company. The old licesnse codes are probably not supported any longer either. rF2 is solely run and updated thru Steam for S397. The old company, ISI, is completely out of the picture for rF2. I believe they still own rF1 but I have no knowledge how that is being distributed these days. A stand alone version of rF2 would not receive any updates nor would DLC purchases be possible. There was a period of time several years ago when the transfer to Steam was free. That time period was extended and lasted nearly two years. However, that free transfer time has long since expired. You might be able to contact the new owners of rF2, Studio 397, but they are most likely not under any obligation to allow a free transfer. Try Paul Jeffries here or Marcels Offerman. (Hope I spelled those correctly, this long past my bed time)
Finally if there is no solution for your old licenses, I would suggest waiting for one of the many seasonal sales on Steam. rF2 is often offered at a large discount during those sales.

actually, you triggered a memory with this - I do actually have the rFactor2 steam activation code. However, if there is any guidance available on how to use it, I would be grateful as I can't see where to input it, just that it wants to charge me

Cheers

Les

actually, you triggered a memory with this - I do actually have the rFactor2 steam activation code. However, if there is any guidance available on how to use it, I would be grateful as I can't see where to input it, just that it wants to charge me

Cheers

Les

Down left on your steam app there is a "Add a game" button, click that and "activate product on Steam". Insert the code there ;)

Hi again - the game installed, but will not run, despite running the config OK. You click on 'play', then after a few seconds of a small rF2 splash screen, it goes straight back to the Steam page.

Anyone have this problem?

Cheers

Les

the PC is the following

i9 990K (not overclocked)
GTX1070ti
Gigabyte Z390 Mobo
32Gb DDR4 3200 RAM
2560 x 1080 resolution widescreen monitor

Not sure what else you need, but the controllers are Fanatec

What I have found is the only way for it to work is to run it on the DX9 config. Anything else just seems to start, then either crashes completely or just loops back to the start screen

Les

Win10 64bit?
Also have you entered the resolution settings in the first window that comes up? You have a choice to play rFactor 2 or set up graphics first.
Here you set resolution, GPU, etc.

Do you have any remnants from an old rFactor 2 install possibly?

yes, Win 10 64 bit, sorry

Yes, the setup screen appears, and I enter the GPU and resolution, but it keeps blanking - in other words you set it, close the setup screen, reopen it and the resolution is blank again

Les

Last edited:
Yes, as @AyrtonForever said. Could also try deleting your rF2 user data folder just in case?
Have you verified the integrity of the files in Steam?
If that comes back as OK then I'd uninstall and remove all traces of rF2 user data etc.
I recently had issues with my install after reinstalling windows but I wasn't very methodical with my testing and resolution steps so ended up just completely removing it and any folder to do with it. Started from scratch and checked for any windows and driver updates and then reinstalled and it just worked.

Thanks for the input guys

So I tried all of the above suggestions, but none of it has worked. I found that if you deleted all the User Data stuff, if you click on play without doing the config screen, it would open up into the really old rF2 start screen, complete with virtually illegible text as it is showing on a widescreen monitor stuff that is at the lowest possible resolution. As soon as I run the DX11 setup, it then refuses to start, until I delete the user data again, when you go back to the lo-res version.

Basically the only recent version that seems to work is the DX9 one, none of the other options work at all.

Bear in mind that this same PXC runs AMS, AMS2, AC, ACC, DCS World, Il2 Sturmovic etc all without any issue. There must be some game or Steam related problem

Cheers

Les

Thanks for the input guys

So I tried all of the above suggestions, but none of it has worked. I found that if you deleted all the User Data stuff, if you click on play without doing the config screen, it would open up into the really old rF2 start screen, complete with virtually illegible text as it is showing on a widescreen monitor stuff that is at the lowest possible resolution. As soon as I run the DX11 setup, it then refuses to start, until I delete the user data again, when you go back to the lo-res version.

Basically the only recent version that seems to work is the DX9 one, none of the other options work at all.

Bear in mind that this same PXC runs AMS, AMS2, AC, ACC, DCS World, Il2 Sturmovic etc all without any issue. There must be some game or Steam related problem

Cheers

Les

The new UI should now be the default one, check in the steam properties of the game, beta tab, and you should have "none" selected. Also try to make it "borderless" instead of full screen in the config (BTW my resolution is also blank there, but never had any problem, i think the config is now integrated into the new UI, so just adjust the graphics options there if you manage to get into the game).

EDIT: also, i suppose you get to the config trough the steam page, clicking play and then selecting config option, if you do start the config from the .exe, that's where the error might come from.

Last edited:
I'm pleased to report some qualified success. I partially followed that last suggestion, deleting the DX11 config file, setting the beta tab to 'none', and just going straight into the game, which allowed the game to start, but again with low resolution. However I was able to play with some settings on the graphics tab, and by going to 'windowed' it showed that the max resolution was 1980 x 1090. But allowing this to go made the screen a lot more visible, and allowed me to start messing around with the rest.

It seems that my monitor resolution of 2560 x 1080 is not officially supported; but get this, despite being in 'windowed mode' with the resolution set at 1980 x 1080, when you actually run the game, it runs full screen and not distorted, so it is not trying to apply a 1980 x 1080 to the 2560 x 1080 monitor.

There are still some glitches to iron out; it is very dark, and there is some very strange behaviour on changing gear with my Next Level Racing V3 that almost makes it feel like there are two gear changes every time. I also have to try and remember how to get rid of the steering wheel and arms.

Of course, it is also evident that the age of the game has not been kind to the graphics, but I have to say that AMS2 and ACC have really spoiled me recently.

Notheless, it's great to have it back up and running, thanks again to all the help given here!

Les

I've got a 27 in monitor with a screen rez of 2560x1440. I run rF2 at one lower option for performance reasons.(old vid card) @ 1920x1200. I don't 'see' any difference on-track other than slightly better fps performance. I do have an oddity when starting the UI. The Web based UI only fills about 1/2 or 1/3 of the the available screen when it first boots up. I have to click on the UI anywhere there is not an action icon for the UI to redraw itself using the full screen real-estate. Only have to click the mouse once, then it stays occupying the full screen for the rest of whatever I'm doing with rF2 at that time.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 302 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 211 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 152 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.6%