Does music affect your driving?

Music does things to our brain (e.g. Good music stimulates the pleasure centers of the brain). That's what I've read at least. But how does it affect driving? Racing games are known to have soundtracks ranging from rap, rock, eurobeat,etc. In the case of Assetto Corsa though, it has no in-game music so you guys might be playing your favorite driving music in the background. Does it have an effect on your performance though?

I tried listening to eurobeat (my favorite genre for competitive driving music) and did a quick-race in Spa. I was a bit "braver" in the corners and I had the tendency towards late braking more then usual. Then again, it might be just me. I've yet to see the actual telemetry.

I know we have the ACTI tool for getting telemetry from races and I would very much want to see your opinion and findings regarding this topic. :)

Never music while racing. I drive primarily by audio, and music obfuscates that.

However, as a result of playing racing sims since I was 7, I also can't drive a manual in real life with loud music because the audio cues are so ingrained in my ability. So... Damn.

Music can distract me when I'm learning something new but after I have mastered it to a point when I can't get excited about it anymore and my hands and feet know what to do. Music can keep me in time in the here and now. It can also stop me from over thinking it. Music can also reconnect me to that first time I was in the zone. Kind of a mood recorder.
But for the first few years music can be a little distracting for sure.

Music when racing is a big no no for me. It's way too distracting. I need to listen when other cars are nearby and to judge how close they are. Even teamspeak is a massive distraction when racing and I'll always mute it if I'm in a semi-serious race.
I do listen to the local radio station when I'm driving ETS2 though, that makes it more immersive.

Good topic. When I am racing or driving fast or doing a track day in real life I always have a "no music" rule. I need to hear the music of the engine, the whine of the gearbox, the chatter of the ABS, the rasp of the traction control and the scrub of the tyres. Without these, you might as well be driving one of those electric race cars or have a self driving car and go to sleep. But when driving my normal road car, always have a bit of music on, usually a mix of ELO, Led Zep or something similar. But when riding my motor bikes on the road, again a no music rule. Nothing can distract me. I need 100% concentration at all times.
I use the same rules for sim racing.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 364 15.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years