Does GTR2 have more mods than AC?

I would say 'not on RD', but I have a number of mods for GTR2 I didn't get from here, so I'm not really sure of the totals. For reference, this was my 'finger in the air' estimate for AC on RD:

prefixpagesest posts%
career71800.81%
apps154201.89%
cars351,0204.59%
skins49514,82066.76%
tracks631,8608.38%
sounds164502.03%
misc1163,45015.54%

I just looked at the number of pages for each prefix, took one away and multiplied by 30 to get the estimate of posts. Thats 22k in total, so I'm guessing that might be where the 20k comes from?

EDIT: forgot to mention that there are 16 pages of mods here for GTR2, so that gives around 480....

Last edited:
Hey Scott,

Amazing list.
Do you have a list of these 'not on RD' sites.

If that doesn't break any RD rules of course.

Not sure what's still around. So many great sites have been lost.

Thanking my lucky stars we still have RD. And hopefully always will.

Not sure what's still around. So many great sites have been lost.

Thanking my lucky stars we still have RD. And hopefully always will.
People always made light of my habit of backing up all my downloads for any game, "why bother? you can always download again", and I think RSC, Blackhole, Nogrip.....

I have 40gig of GTR2 files on an external USB drive, and at least 15-20 CDs and DVDs of files. Would upload some here but too lazy to compare what I have with what's already here.

People always made light of my habit of backing up all my downloads for any game, "why bother? you can always download again", and I think RSC, Blackhole, Nogrip.....

I have 40gig of GTR2 files on an external USB drive, and at least 15-20 CDs and DVDs of files. Would upload some here but too lazy to compare what I have with what's already here.
Good for you. I'm relatively new to GTR2 and I missed out downloading much from nogrip.

There were certain IP address FTP servers around I may have mirrored :D

My GTR2 folder of everything, tracks, cars, apps, docs, etc., is at least 130GB. But I swear I only have a fraction of what's out there. Maybe I keep too many old versions of HQ Anniversary Patch lol

PS. Get those files off the CDs and DVDs they'll start rotting at some point.

Last edited:
Do you have a list of these 'not on RD' sites.
Ah, it's not a list of 'sites' per-se, more a few individual files I have found on forums/reddit. I don't actually have a lot and it was more or less just an observation that there could very well be a lot more outside RD

A prime example for me is the excellent VR mod by @The Iron Wolf

And has there been another mod the caliber of P&G.
I was thinking the very same thing when pulling those numbers. I noticed some were even mods of mods. To be honest, I was just trying to work out where the 20k figure came from. I'd even argue that the likes of P&G/HQ should really be considered a 'carefully crafted' selection of mods

I stumbled across RBR a few weeks back. Honestly, it never ceases to amaze me how the community can keep a game not only relevant way past its 'supposed' expiry date, but sometimes even surpassing its younger peers
Oh for sure - I never raced GTR2 in the day so to speak and am new to it but man, it's just a much better rounded experience than AC. With people having newer PC's these days compared to the mid noughties GTR2 looks really good, I find it more natural in it's colouring - less artificial. Don't know if people use the likes of sweetfx and whether it's worth it - tried reshade and went back to without it. And sweetfx will conflict with the d3d9.dll which crewchief is using. To be honest I also think the driving experience of GTR2 is one of the best out there. To be really honest I can't say enough good things about GTR2. I don't shut up about it! :D

Last edited:
Oh for sure - I never raced GTR2 in the day so to speak and am new to it but man, it's just a much better rounded experience...
GTR2 has remained popular because it offers everything - single and multi class racing, single races and championship season, variable weather, day/night cycles, true 24 hour races, good FFB, good AI (with some tweaking), good graphics, good sound, multiplayer ...and runs smooth as butter on modern systems - all in one well balanced package. Plus it is easy to mod.

Newer sims have seemed to excel in one or two areas but be deficient, if not completely lacking, in others; one may have impressive graphics, sound, and multiplayer, but no weather or championships; another may have excellent physics and multiplayer but no weather or AI.

Things like SweetFX I have tried and usually remove; they may make a noticeable improvement in some mods or tracks but make others look worse, plus there's almost always a frame rate hit from them. I eschew anything that isn't an "across the board" improvement (I can barely remember my phone number, much less activating/deactivating something in a game).

I have just looked at GTR2 esport-racing de which is a nogrip "best of" :

781 car mods (real mods and not only skins, many mods are multi cars packs so not only 1 car as AC here but many have complete grid)

902 modded tracks (many AC tracks are just conversions of these tracks)

24 car skins (there were a lots at nogrip, more than 1000 I think but still far less than AC where most "mods" are just skins which is not the same work)

Moreover SiGi is a perfectionist like me so quite all mods there have been polished by him with many flaws/bugs fixed compared to originals at nogrip.

I have never been a fan of AC as it is only a super nice (modded with CM SOL) hotlap simulator with far less features than GTR2.
ACC is the best sim today but NOT MODDABLE so it is boring for me as I like to put my fingers into grease in the heart mechanics like I did for GTR2.
rF2 is a patchwork with mixed feelings : it could have been the best simulator if ISI had spend more time to polish it at start, and today s397 is a too small team to patch all the well known flaws IMO.
Pcars4 like all codemasters (EA too) products will be nice and fun for 1 year then you will need to buy Pcars5 to get more cars/tracks.

To answer the original q. of this thread: If it wasnt for gtr2 content then ac would not be where it is now. (Edit: gtr and ac are probably even now content wise, if not still more for gtr.)

AC download category is utterly useless until you know what you are looking for.

-Car section is littered with updated car-parts or useless physics updates
-Track sections is littered with either csp-extensions or skins
-Skins-Section is littered with one skin per download, 10+ times by one author for ONE FFFFFFFFFin car

its ridiculous really.

But you cant blame big site for cannot holding up to stupid...

Last edited:
Moreover SiGi is a perfectionist like me so quite all mods there have been polished by him with many flaws/bugs fixed compared to originals at nogrip.

What do you mean by this? Are all esport-racing.de downloads custom versions of the original mods?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 215 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 211 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 272 13.4%