Do You Use A Button Box?

Hey guys,

I was wondering how many members are using button boxes? Interested to know your thoughts and please check out my poll and the questions here:

Q, Where do you mount your button boxes, mounted horizontally or vertically?
Q. What did you spend on your button box?
Q. Do you use it for menu navigation or in-game adjustments?
Q. Do you prefer a combo of buttons, rockers, rotaries and toggle switches with labels / stickers or something with buttons / mini lcds which are programable for multiple functions? Think of an ELGATO STREAM DECK.
Q. Is a button box a must have peripheral on a sim rig for you?
Q. Do you use it with a console or PC?

Cheers, AussieStig (Mark)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not a bad idea. Do you have a picture of how this spacer looks like on a Simucube QR??

Edit: I assume you use the shortest spacer possible (15mm)? The horn button probably don't need more than 10mm extra space to fit on the SQR.
Unknown-1.jpeg

I actually use 30mm ones on this wheel, just because I wanted to bring it slightly closer to me. But yeah, you can use the shortest one, or find someone that does a smaller one (I'd say it needs to be about 10mm minimum). The seller is pretty responsive so I'm sure you could ask for a custom length, I think they just cut them themselves. You can get plastic ones but they're no where near as strong. Obviously you'd need longer M5 bolts to match.

I mostly use them for the internals of steering wheels so there's a solid metal connection between the front button box and the rear back plate, rather than relying on the 3D printed case for strength.

Edit: My QR isn't the Simucube, it's Xero-Play, but the principle is the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm only adding these pictures because a number of people have been liking my old button box on this older thread and I designed a new 3D printed solution below that is a substantial improvement.

The labels all have 2x5mm neodymium magnets holding them in place so they can be easily changed out. There is 12V power to drive the fan and backlit buttons and the buttons and spacing are more ergonomic. There are many more edges that I can use to easily find controls in while in VR.

BasicallyDone_5874.jpg

SimRacingSetup_6628.jpg
FlightMode_6619.jpg

Collective_6621.jpg

I've shared the files here including the Fusion 360 files so people can modify them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Has anyone tried pushbuttons by NKK or other good brand that have a positive tactile click and not too much travel nor wooble, but are not as tiny as those mounted on steering wheels (at least 12 mm). Any model in particular?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 373 28.2%