Do you like F1 - but don't (necessarily) like where it's going?

I like the changes coming in 2022, and hopefully they'll listen to the fans and continue to grow the sport. Yet some of hte things about the sport aren't so great right now. I realise this is my opinion, and this isn't certainly the future, but it feels like it:

F1-changes.jpg

f1-future.jpg

f1-profile.jpg

f1-profile-future.jpg

It's for the aerodynamics...

Yes, there is too much aero work need for the cars, overall it has become to expensive. Tickets should be 15 bucks. Insane how much they want for a team's polo shirt where you can run around and promote the sponsors. Nuts.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the new regs next year. I hope the aero shift will improve racing. I do agree they also need to reduce the size of cars back to ~mid 2000's chassis size. I really hope the new cost cap limitations also have the intended purpose of leveling the playing field. The biggest challenge for F1 moving forward is going to be the green initiative with most if not all manufactures moving fully electric in say 15 - 20 years.

I love F1 and i still consider it the most entertaining sport in the world. But times are chainging and there is no need for big block V12 and V10 engines on the road. So as a manufacurer you need to develop technology for small block engineś like V6 and lower for the car market. So there is no use for big blocks in F1. Becuse the technolgy goes from F1 to the road car. It is a slow process but it works. Some luxury car company s are using F1 inspired wheels in cars and soon this will eliminate the stick shifter. You will have paddles and buttons. maybe a LED dash in the wheel for better visibility. The world is always chaining and if you don´t change you will fall backwards. This is why Williams F1 has failed in F1. Trying to do things the way they used to and not adapting to what other teams have done to keep up.

Above all, I just want F1 to bring back competition for the championship. If 2021 is anything less than a Mercedes demonstration run, I would be shocked.

I would love to see F1 bring back V10’s. I think most racing fans would love this. It will obviously never happen and that is saddening. Hybrid and electric vehicles just don’t create the excitement that the screaming traditional race engines made.

I have not really enjoyed f1 as much as I once did since the vettel era, I fell away from it when Ferrari and Schuey dominated, Lewis and jenson bought me back a little as did Nando, but since the hybrid era I have lost massive interest.

Now other my attention goes to more deserving series that offer better racing, less pompous drivers and far, far less domination by one team and driver/rider.

I started watching F1 in 1971 when I was 10.
I still enjoy when the guys are racing each other but that happen less and less every year.
The sheer amount of lifting and coasting to save fuel and managing of the car, has made a huge dent in the sport I once knew.
The V6 era could have been just as exciting...without the hybrid drive.
A 1.6L V6 with a straight turbo would have been just fine....no battery stores and with sufficient fuel to finish a race without the need for safety cars, etc...
It'll never happen of course but that would have been fine.

Last edited:
The sad reality is F1 is stuck in the middle of a political battle between green initiative of car manufacturers and what fans want to see. The costs associated with the Hybrid engines makes it near impossible for teams to survive unless they have significant outside investment or unless you are a large "works" team. I don't agree with the further push of electrification / batteries in F1. If we wanted to see that we would just watch formula e. The most exciting prospect in my opinion is the evolution of clean burning bio fuels. I think that is the true key of the future of all ICE related racing.

The sad reality is F1 is stuck in the middle of a political battle between green initiative of car manufacturers and what fans want to see. The costs associated with the Hybrid engines makes it near impossible for teams to survive unless they have significant outside investment or unless you are a large "works" team. I don't agree with the further push of electrification / batteries in F1. If we wanted to see that we would just watch formula e. The most exciting prospect in my opinion is the evolution of clean burning bio fuels. I think that is the true key of the future of all ICE related racing.
F1 is simply a marketing and political avenue for huge companies and countries that have a lot of cash. For average cars, I don't see any significant link between the F1 racing machinery and the cars we drive on the road. You can point to a couple cool things that trickled from F1 to normal cars, but that about it. Since this is the case, why not make a engine formula that people want and enjoy. This is not hybrid or electric vehicles for many fans.

I completely agree, hell I would love to see F1 just say F it. Bring back screaming V's and put on a good show. Lets be perfectly honest the whole sport is a luxury with lavish spending on unnecessary things. So might as well put our a good product that I believe people would universally love.

Since this is the case, why not make a engine formula that people want and enjoy. This is not hybrid or electric vehicles for many fans.

Why would they want to? They have no competition. Other open wheelers like Indycar and Super Formula are content with driving at home only and the competitor on powerful engine - Le Mans GT1 - is equally only interested in make overprice machinery for themselves as company show-off trophies.

If Super Formula would do a Euro tour, Imola, Spa, Silverstone, Nurburgring, Jerez, these guys would be golden. We would forget easily about Liberty F1.

1616436983863.jpeg

Last edited:
I still wonder how those cars are able to come around the hairpin in Monaco. And speaking of circuits: Give me oldschool tracks back, not 1000 m concrete zones around it. Or stupid street circuits with nothing but walls of champions.

Also make the cars harder to drive again. What was it, Niki said: Place a highly trained monkey into a cockpit? The steering wheels might look complex, because it is a energy and tyre manager sports nowadays, but back in the days - were you able to place a 17yo driver into the car and have him win?

The cars nowadays are so stupidily long, that they can't overtake without DRS most of the time. Dogfights? Yeah sure, in the 90's. Random GP results because of driver errors and blown engines? Yeah sure, in the 90's.

Today, not even the starts are exciting anymore and mostly after that, you can simply fast forward to the pit stops and the end of the race.

I still follow the sports (well this year, I can't watch it legally but yeah), but only because I can't watch IndyCar and Super Formula, I guess.

Last year my wife and i were watching the Netflix F1 series and we said to ourselves: "Let's just watch F1 this season again".
I have been watching F1 regularely (including getting up at 2am for the japanese GP) when it was - based on quite a few opinions - in it's prime time with all the big names: Senna, Prost, Mansell, Piquet, Berger, Schumacher ... and when i wasn't watching races i was driving F1GP and then GP2.

Sometime around Schumi's 5th championship title i lost all interest in F1.
So a LOT has changed and it's pretty much like a new sport to me, and right away there are some things i'd like to see changed:

* DRS needs to be removed. Like right now. Remove this button from all steering wheels.
* To avoid races with 0 overtakes (DRS drive-bys aren't overtakes anyways), revert wings back to those absolutely basic designs of the old days and remove all body-winglets, so dirty air isn't causing as many problems as it is now
* Formula E is about "green racing" - F1 was, is and will never be green, so we should get rid of all the ERS stuff
* Lift tyre limitations, what are they here for anyways? I can't imagine having to put on used tyres at the end of the race when material and driver are already weakened is improving security in any way.
If one so desires, it should be able to do 10 pitstops and always get a fresh set of Softs

All that aside - i enjoy the footage way more than back in the days - the transmission of race engineer talk, the complete coverage of everything happening on track, Lando Norris pushing hard to end up in positions way higher than the car should allow - it's still a spectacle and already 1990 people said "I just watch the start and then the finish" - so nothing has changed here. But DRS and the dirty air dilemma absolutely needs a complete overhaul.
There are some series with push-to-pass with a limited amount of uses - that's something one might look into, but DRS is about the worst thing i have ever seen in racing.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back