Do you feel that AC will be the last sim of your life?

I do. Maybe if you are younger than me (and more optimistic) you have expectations in a brighter future. I have the feeling that there is no logic in expecting new sims in the future (such Assetto Corsa 2, for instance). The reason is the hardware. Newer games with photorealistic graphics with ray tracing, 4k, running in triple screens or high resolution VR headsets with lots of FOV, with real physics ala BeamNG Drive? That's impossible now and it will not be possible in many decades. The evolution of CPUs and GPUs is slow and almost stuck, with absurd prices and unable to supply enough computing power even for the games with have now under certain circumstances. Ten years ago I dreamt with better games; nowadays I dream with better hardware to improve the experience I have with AC.

Jackson's Trello link above has good explanations
yes, very good to implement it, very technical.
Still hoping for a more non modder type of explanation. As user, what can we expect to get, type of explanation.
Might not exist and that is OK, I am not demanding anything and I am grateful for all involved in making AC a better, more accurate sim.
I just would like to understand better.

Last edited:
For the most part the basic explanation is that IER has large amounts of data on how the P13's physics behaves (telemetry at american tracks, documentation on components such as brakes & power steering), and the physics extensions exist to make it possible to match the ingame behaviour to that data. So it's just stuff like "brake heating is slightly different because the new model can match data, old one couldn't". There's not really a simple explanation of what actually changed since in a lot of places it's not even a more complicated model (such as aero) it's just better suited to the format data exists in.

Since P13 got released a few other cars with similar data availability have been made, I think one's "BK" Audi GT3. But just in general this is stuff you get by having a cooperative works racing team, it's never been measured on most cars and is never disclosed to clients in lots of spec series since they don't need to know anything beyond "higher TC number means less slidy".

There are also of course some bugs in AC that the extension fixes, if they were obvious Kunos would have seen them, they're subtle unless you can do direct A-B comparisons of tire loads and such to other physics modeling software. Obviously not a unique problem to AC; half the time it's the other program that has it wrong.

Last edited:
yes, very good to implement it, very technical.
Still hoping for a more non modder type of explanation. As user, what can we expect to get, type of explanation.
Might not exist and that is OK, I am not demanding anything and I am grateful for all involved in making AC a better, more accurate sim.
I just would like to understand better.
huh?

Each card in that Trelo page explains the new features...

1635808596393.png

• Deleted member 197115

Perhaps the best way to explain it that it only applies to few 2 or 3 mod cars and does nothing for existing content.

For the most part extended physics doesn't add anything directly noticeable

because existing content is mostly so inaccurate that it'd need to be redone from scratch to benefit from it.

Ok, that is a little disappointing, so, if I understood, extended physic, at this point in time, only affects a few cars and may not make a big difference when driving those cars.

But what does it add to those few cars? what does extended physic allow AC to do that is not possible without it?

I guess it is a process in evolution and that, as it develop, it will affect more cars and be more perceptible.

Last edited:
Ok, that is a little disappointing, so, if I understood, extended physic, at this point in time, only affects a few cars and may not make a big difference when driving those cars.

But what does it add to those few cars? what does extended physic allow AC to do that is not possible without it?

I guess it is a process in evolution and that, as it develop, it will affect more cars and be more perceptible.
It's generally a lot of little things that sum to make the driving experience much more nuanced and accurate. But each of those things needs additional data and assumes you're working from a base that has the fundamentals correctly modeled. Additionally, a decent portion of extended physics stuff is just relaying between the real and virtual worlds more effectively. By that I mean things like the spring stiffnesses being part numbers instead of rates, TC settings doing the same things they do on the real car, etc.

It moves AC from "a game with accurate physics" and closer to a full blown simulation software.

It kinda already is lmao. Apart from Dirt Rally 2.0 for rallying I almost exclusively play AC now

Really it's because of the graphics tbh. Maybe in the future when RT becomes more predominant it could change but right now with CSP + sol AC is easily the most realistic looking sim out there. Physics wise ig it's nice to see cphys putting AC right up there, though it's a shame only a handful of cars will actually utilize the "potential" it offers so for me at least it's not the really the selling point rn

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 270 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 181 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 181 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 133 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 238 13.5%